close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NYPD trigger pull

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by teddyp69, Aug 15, 2012.

1. teddyp69

teddyp69

Does anybody know how many pounds of trigger pull the NYPD modified their G19s to about 12 years ago?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. TacticalTree

TacticalTree Just a Guy

The NY1 spring is 8lbs, nominally.

3. teddyp69

teddyp69

Thanks. Is it an easy mod to go back to the 5lb and do you know what it specifically would consist of doing? Thanx in advance.

4. DocWills

DocWills

Take the module out, replace with the spring.

5. MajorD

MajorD

there is a NY spring and a NY+ spring. I think the NYPD was the NY+- they were trying to get the pull to be close in weight to the revolvers they replaced so the trigger pull weight would be 10 pounds or so. all glock factory trigger springs including the NY and NY+ are drop in parts- detail strip, remove spring replace with spring of your choice

6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I thought the NYPD used the NY2 spring, which is 12 pounds? :dunno:

I bought a used G35 on the cheap that had one of these in it. Within moments of getting it home, I had the trigger down to 3lbs (note: the gun is a dedicated competition gun).

I have to say as a GLOCK fan, if I were bound by the NYPD rules, I'd have to seriously look at the Sig option. A 12 lb pull is horrid in a GLOCK, whereas a traditional DAO pull at 12 lbs is closer to normal.

7. TacticalTree

TacticalTree Just a Guy

My apologies, i should not post late at night after a long day of work.

My understanding is that the NY1 spring, at 8lbs was originally used by NYPD, but they did switch to the heavier NY2 spring, 12lbs.

I use a NY1 spring with an OEM "-" connector in my G22. This gives a more clean pull than the stock spring with a more crisp break and more positive feeling trigger reset. The NY1 with the stock connector is a bit heavy feeling, but the "-" connector lowers the pull weight feel by about 1lb. This is the lightest trigger pull advisable by Glock for a defensive/carry pistol.

I do not have any personal experience with the NY2 spring.

8. barth

barth six barrels

+1
    On the NY1 + OEM '-' connector.
    The NY1 with standard connector feels heavy to me.
    Although I can shoot with it.
    Never tried NY2, but that's got to be a real )(*+)(*(.

Eventually switched to Ghost 3.5 drop in and NY1.
    It's nearly identical to the OEM "-", but a little crisper to me.

I'd definitely recommend leaving the NY1 in and trying a 3.5
    or OEM "-" connector with it and see how you like it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  9. TheWaker43

TheWaker43

I have noticed that many people seem to like the NY1 and "-" combo. I just purchased my first Glock, a G19. And would like to try this out. Can anyone post links to buy the parts?

10. barth

barth six barrels

11. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

My leo turn in came with the 8lb and i took it out.....but then i put it baxk and quite like it

12. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

As someone who is required to use the NY2 trigger I can tell you it is indeed 12 lbs. While I certainly prefer the standard trigger I have gotten accustomed to the NY2. I can keep all rounds on a 8 inch plate at 15 yds firing fairly rapidly. It also gives a very positive reset. Like anything else, the more you practice the better you get.

13. Dave.1

Dave.1

Here's a YouTube link. There are probably more but it's a pretty easy job.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p52Z75UAKC8"]Glock NY1 Trigger - YouTube[/ame]

Dave

14. DocWills

DocWills

I like the green ny1.:supergrin:

15. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

The NY1 spring results in an 6 lb. trigger pull. It was designed and instituted by the NY STATE Police, years before the NYPD transitioned to semi-autos.

The NY2 trigger results in a 12 lb. trigger pull and was created at the request of a Long Island NY police department after one of their members had an ND. Again, this was prior to the NYPD transitioning to semi-autos.

The NYPD has always utilized the NY2 trigger in its' Glock 19 and 26 pistols. The transition to semi-autos began around 1990 some 22 years ago. But again, neither of the two NY trigger springs were designed or produced as a result of NYPD input.

16. TheWaker43

TheWaker43

hey barth
    thanks a lot

17. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

NYPD's transition to auto pistols took over seven years. It commenced after Police Commissioner Ben Ward and the Chief of Department were found to be carrying Glock pistols during the time frame when all uniformed Members of the Service (MOS) were restricted to a short list of revolvers as duty weapons and civilian licensees were forbidden from listing Glock pistols on their licenses. As a result of this embarrassment, a pilot program involving the distribution of less than 200 Glock pistols to specialized units was commenced in 1986-87. They went to Narcotics, Homicide, TARU. the PC's detail, Major Case Squad and a few others. None went to patrol.

ESU was given the Beretta M-9. They were truck guns, meaning the E-men carried their revolvers on their gun belts and were allowed to take the Berettas out on "special occasions". The long and the short of the Beretta issue was that they were not sturdy enough, being prone to breakage at the locking block. They were utilized by ESU for a few years and were removed once Patrol was given access to the 9mm program.

Move on a couple of years to 1991 and intense pressure from the PBA forced the job to institute a patrol testing phase. In that phase ONLY Sergeant's chauffers were given 9 mm's to field test with the theory being that the boss would keep them under control and prevent unnecessary high-round count shootings. The Sergeants, however were still relegated to revolvers. Logical, no?

Weapons tested in this phase included the Glock 19, Sigs-Sauer P 226 DAO, Ruger P-89, and Smith & Wesson 5946. The Glock 19 was chosen so that all issued pistols had the same magazine capacity. The Rugers got dropped first. They proved to be too fragile and just too damn big. During this phase the Firearms and Tactics section began to provide separate data for revolvers and semi-auto’s in their yearly SOP-9 evaluation of MOS involved shootings.

By this time, the tide was turning and it was obvious to MOS that the job was going to eventually transition to the 9mm sem-auto pistol, but that it would drag its’ feet mercilessly on the road to doing so.

This brings us up to the job-wide transition in '92. The first class of open applicants from patrol was in March of '93 (I was in it). The guns were still the Glock, Sig, and Smith. That first class went to the equipment section and got their guns and accessories only to find that the guns all had neutered 10 round magazines issued with them. Outgoing Police Commissioner Ray Kelly had stipulated the smaller capacity mags for the 9mm’s once the patrol transition program began. He did everything he could to prevent the transition to sem-auto’s from ever taking place. Those limited capacity magazines were his last spiteful swipe at the transition program. It was due to overwhelming pressure applied by the PBA that the changeover to semi-auto's came about in spite of his obstructionist behavior.

Sometimes the fates intervene in a good way. In this instance fate took the form of a female PO who was in a beauty salon shootout. This happened the month before our transition class was to begin. She was up in Brooklyn North getting her hair done with one of those plastic drop cloths hanging off her neck when three mutts armed with nines came in and announced a stickup. Using the drop cloth as concealment for her movements she drew her five shot .38 and engaged them. One DOA and the others were deterred from their criminal enterprise. However, after running her gun dry she was attacked and pistol whipped by one of the mutts prior to him making his escape.

In the intervening time frame Ray Kelly departed and Rudolph Giuliani appointed William Bratton as the new Police Commissioner. That incident in the beauty parlor caused Bratton to decide that enough was enough. He was tired of the "outgunned" NYPD situation and the first thing that happened on the first day of transition training was that all of the ten-round magazines were collected by the Range Officers and replaced with 15 round units. The 10 round magazines NEVER made it to the street. From that time on, the transition proceeded quickly, with the original ammo being 115 gr. Winchester ball. Years later, after the Amadou Diallo episode the Department transitioned to the current load, a Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P hollowpoint round.

Now as to the NY trigger. It was not designed nor requested by NYPD. The NY 1 trigger was designed by Glock at the request of the NY State (NYSP) Police for their transition. It was supposed to provide a more revolver-like feel to the trigger as an aid to those MOS who had spent years carrying and qualifying with revolvers. It brought the stock trigger break up from about 5 lbs. to about 8 lbs. After an ND incident that was blamed on the gun rather than the shooter in a Long Island department (somewhere in Suffolk County I believe) another modification request was presented to Glock and lo and behold they gave birth to the abortion known as the NYPD 2 trigger. It brought the trigger break up to a lovely 12 lbs.. THAT is the trigger that NYPD uses, however, our Department had nothing to do with the development of it. Many people assume that it was brought forth by our Department because of the nomenclature but that is a myth that will not die.

18. Socks tear

Socks tear

we tried every combinatipon of NY1 and different connectors (stock, Glock dot, LWD, Ghost x 3 different ones) in a variety of Glocks and went back to stock. The trigger pull was just too hard with the NY1

19. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.A.M.

Thank you for confirming that Noo Yawk is in fact as screwed up as the rest of America thinks it is. Hizzoner Mayor DoomBerg needs to take a hike.

20. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Obviously your reading comprehension is low.

EVERYTHING about the transition to 9mm's and the choice of triggers took place in the early 90's.

LONG before Bloomberg took office.

I don't like him either but I won't blame him for policies and decisions enacted over a decade before he took office.:upeyes: