NYPD should stop making traffic stops, attorney general says

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Sep 26, 2020.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"NYPD should stop making traffic stops, attorney general says

'The vast majority of traffic stops – including this one – do not involve criminal conduct, yet often end in violence'

The New York Police Department should stop arresting people for minor offenses during traffic stops to avoid incidents like the fatal 2019 police-involved shooting of a motorist, the state's attorney general said, according to a report.

The report prepared by AG Letitia James' Special Investigations and Prosecutions Unit said the NYPD should move away from non-criminal traffic stops since they can escalate into violent confrontations.

The recommendation was made after officials analyzed the death of Allan Feliz, 31, who was shot by Sgt. Jonathan Rivera during an October 2019 traffic stop.

[​IMG]
    New York State Attorney General Letitia James addresses the media during a news conference in New York. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File)

Rivera pulled Feliz over for, suspecting him of not wearing a seatbelt in the Bronx. When officers asked him for identification, Feliz handed over his brother's license. The brother had three open warrants for minor offenses -- spitting, littering and disorderly conduct.

Feliz was asked to step out of the vehicle and did so, but then stepped back in apparently to drive away. Another officer grabbed Feliz and attempted to pull him out, according to the report. Rivera fired a stun gun into his chest, but that failed to incapacitate him.

At some point during a struggle, the vehicle lunged forward and Rivera fired his weapon, the report said. Feliz was hit and taken to a hospital where he later died. A search of Feliz's car after his death yielded small amounts of cocaine and methamphetamine.

James' office determined Rivera's actions were justified, but recommended the NYPD direct officers to stop arresting motorists for open warrants for minor offenses to prevent similar occurrences. The New York City Police Benevolent Association did not respond to a Fox News request for comment.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-stop-traffic-stops-attorney-general "

2. Bradley T

Bradley T

So, someone who has about 50 crimes going at once shouldn't be pulled over at all? We must protect all these n'er-do-wells from now on.
    Love this New York logic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    DonGlock26 likes this.

3. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Can you imagine travel if there were absolutely no traffic enforcement or fear of a ticket for any traffic violation?
    She's stupid.

jr24, Mtnfolk75 and DonGlock26 like this.
  4. DrewBone

DrewBone

Well that plan's not going to go over very well since NY State collects a kazillion dollars a year in revenue from traffic/vehicle infraction fines and court costs. And how will those lost dollars be recouped from a state that's already so far in the red? By taxing even more of the living **** out of those who are employed and pay taxes in NY State.

Great plan. Run the state and it's law abiding citizens further into the ground to avoid the risk of hurting or killing a tiny minority of the population - known as criminals.

5. Pythonman

Pythonman

They outta pull her over and throw the book at her. Literally!

6. Gundude

Gundude

Which is, of course, not at all what she said.

I'd have expected more people to be on board with this. Am I the only one who has gotten ticketed for meaningless crap?

7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Probably not, although I'm sure the definition of "meaningless crap" might vary among many folks who have received a Notice to Appear for some traffic (moving, mechanical or parking) infraction, and the cops who have issued them.

However, in the broader scope of things ...

People intent on criminal behavior often operate motor vehicles to get around, just like the rest of us.

People with warrants of all kinds - from infraction/traffic, to misdemeanor to outstanding felony wants - seem to find travel by motor vehicle to be a handy and efficient way to get around. Just like the rest of us.

People who have just committed violent crimes which haven't yet been discovered have been found when stopped for minor traffic infractions. Or, when someone is sitting behind the wheel, parked in an area under situationally suspicious circumstances, and a cop walks up to talk with them. (I remember one such instance where there was a murdered body in the trunk.)

Now, I suspect the AG may have been implying that making stops for known criminal acts, likely of a certain nature, (pursuits of suspects having thought to have committed on-view violent crimes) is still good to go. (Within policy, of course.) Except, more criminals are usually found and apprehended during "routine" veh enforcement stops made for totally unrelated reasons. Day in and day out. Remember how Timothy McVeigh was found and apprehended? (Stopped for No Front Plate on a car.)

One of my friends unknowingly found a guy wanted out-of-state for armed robbery because the guy crossed over the double/double yellows on a highway, even though no other veh's were around to be endangered by his action. The wanted suspect had a cocked revolver next to him on the seat, and later told investigators the only reason he'd not killed the cop who stopped him was because the cop hadn't been lazy enough to walk up on the car. (My friend said he'd had the hairs on the back of his neck stand up as he looked at the stopped car, and deviated from his practice of normally walking up to talk to the driver, instead calling the guy out of the car. Then he said it momentarily got interesting when the outstanding felony fugitive want came back. ;) )

I can't begin to count the number of wanted suspects I've found arising out of enforcement stops initially made for minor traffic infractions.

You don't have control over what someone you stop has done, or may be willing to do to you to escape being apprehended.

Perhaps if LE stopped making traffic stops, everyone would be happy? Especially all of the criminals, no doubt. No more of them worrying about having to resist and fight - or try to kill - the cops making the stops, right?

Sad times.

I'll acknowledge that if I were still working, and especially if I were close to the end of my career, I'd likely be driving around with blinders on. Answering all calls-for-service, but not looking to unnecessarily self-initiate any contacts with pedestrians or other drivers. Then again, I never worked Motors or as a designated Traffic unit, where someone was actively examining the number of traffic stops I'd made, or NTA's I wrote.

badge315 and nitesit(+ an e) like this.
  8. CAcop

CAcop

Yep. Just let it burn. They will be begging for enforcement within 5 years. That city is nearly on its knees now.

46% of its tax base left already and that was just 420,000 people leaving for vacation homes post covid.

9. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Cool and EMTs should quit going to accident scenes too. I mean, if you're going to go retard, go full retard!

jr24, Maxx702 and DonGlock26 like this.
  10. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

This political hack activist turd who calls herself an Attorney General is the same POS that is making the accusations about Wayne LaPierre that so many here seem to lend credibility to.

Nothing this ass clown says has any credibility.

badge315 and DonGlock26 like this.
  11. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

That is why every solitary person who is able, should just LEAVE

DonGlock26 likes this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

5 years?!?

How about before next Summer? ;)

Even disregarding the loss of any revenue from fines and court fees (depending how those are allocated among state and local governments), driving practices of people who learn they won't be stopped for "minor" traffic offenses may likely create some emboldened Mad Max driving conditions on the roads. :eek:

Wait until insurance companies start bailing. o_O

:animlol:

:bluesbrothers:

CAcop and jr24 like this.
  13. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

The reason traffic stops are resulting in violent incidents is because people get combative with the police. Shut the car off, roll the window down, keep hands on the wheel and do what the officer asks when stopped. That's what I do, I'm still alive.

14. Pennsyltucky

Pennsyltucky

There are legitimate safety concerns that don't always fall into the major crimes category. A car driving around with no headlights or taillights at night, for example.

CAcop likes this.
  15. thewitt

thewitt

Yeah, no need for traffic stops. What's the worst that could happen?

I don't like those red lights and speed limits anyway. Who do they think they are telling me which side of the street I can drive on, how fast I can go, and if I need to stop or not.

These laws are just racist I say. Racist!

marchboom and Darkangel1846 like this.
  16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Wisconsin in my opinion has allready started this plan based on my driving around yesterday. People driving like idiots.. going 40 over the speed limit. People doing everything they can to cause an accident.

CAcop likes this.
  17. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

James is just another leftist crap head trying to side step the law for her black population who break the law all the time.

DonGlock26 likes this.
  18. CAcop

CAcop

I'm thinking 5 years because there are people who are safe in their little bubbles that have to feel the pain before anything can get done.

I think of 5th Avenue. Some of the priciest real estate on earth. High rise apartments where things the size of my master bedroom and bath go for more than my whole townhouse.

When people in that zip code are affected,things will change. The clown in this article will be told to shut up or find a new job. The political machine will enforce it.

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

He was getting arrested on warrants. He tried to get away because of the drugs. Had he given them the correct name, unless he had his own warrants, they might not have had this confrontation. Well never know.

Seat belt laws.... SMH

fastbolt likes this.
  20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I think her idea is stupid, but did she say don’t make traffic stops or did she say don’t arrest people for minor violations (spitting warrant? What is this, Singapore?) when found on traffic stops?