NYPD and Army Reservist Allegedly Spying for China

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gombey, Sep 23, 2020.

1. nursetim

nursetim

Betraying his own people, disgusting. Let his people deal with him.

Intolerant and ScarFace88 like this.

2. Sharkey

Sharkey

I heard that story tonight. Interrorgate him, try him for treason, and execute him.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

3. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Most institutions fall victim to this at some point. Now, it infests business and tech companies as well as the military and the intelligence community. The Chinese are fast becoming experts on identifying human weakness. Let’s face it. Do we pay cops enough to withstand the enticement of extra cash? Sadly, this no longer shocks me.

Intolerant and Sharkey like this.
  4. WT

WT Millennium Member

'Never trust a Chinese to be loyal to the USA.'

An unwritten rule at my former employer was to keep Chinese from working on 'sensitive' projects. I learned that 50 years ago.

The NYPD officer is a former Marine sergeant having served with an aviation unit in Afghanistan. After an honorable discharge from the Corps he joined the USAR. His father and brother are members of the People's Liberation Army.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Intolerant and Ohio Cop like this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Well, spying for China isn't actually "treason" since we aren't at war with them. It would be "espionage" and I don't think death is the penalty.

Bradley T likes this.
  6. Sharkey

Sharkey

Hmm. I guess I need to look up the definition of treason. I thought it was treason because he was an American citizen. I was unaware we had to be at war with the nation he was spying for.

7. Sharkey

Sharkey

We had an issue last year. The Global Security guys wanted me to interview an employee on a seperate matter to gauge his response. He had visited family in China and taken his work laptop with him. A definite no no. Don't know what happened with it, it was way above my pay grade.

Intolerant, blueiron and Ohio Cop like this.
  8. WT

WT Millennium Member

The Rosenbergs were executed for espionage.

As an aside, when one of our employees traveled to China it was a mandatory requirement that he kept his laptop in his possession at all times ... even when in the shower. He could not leave it in his room when he went out for dinner nor on his desk if he went to the rest room.

CAcop, Intolerant and Bradley T like this.
  9. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Is he voting for Trump or Biden? Just asking.

10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Expect more from the East,they just warming up.The NKs have intel folk here,so does every other nation.They sense a divided nation,and will act on it.The level of interest will vary between nations.'08.

11. WT

WT Millennium Member

For many years college graduates of Chinese and Korean descent were contacted and offered positions 'back home'. STEM types were particularly sought after.

Even though these students were born and raised in the USA, the Communists kept track of their lives and achievements.

Intolerant likes this.
  12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Sleepers.'08.

Intolerant likes this.
  13. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Death penalty if proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Intolerant likes this.
  14. blueiron

blueiron

I am not surprised. Cops make decent intelligence resources.

Would paying him more money have prevented his espionage activities? Of the four traditional CI motivators for agent recruitment - Money, Ideology, Compromise/Coercion, and Ego [MICE]; many of history's greatest agents/biggest intel leaks [dependent upon what side you affiliate with] earned and or wanted nothing in payment. Ana Montes, a senior DIA analyst spied for Cuba for nearly two decades for free. Colonel Oleg Penkovskiy, gave Soviet secrets to the US/British for only the promise of an 'out' if discovered. Kim Philby did it for nearly 30 years and ceased only when he was outed. They were ideologues.

Motivators for espionage are far more nuanced that simply "buying people". Most cops cannot be bought off - "taking a bite" or a "knicky-knack" is still an abnormal behavior in policing and strongly disfavored, not only by agency regulation, but by peer pressure as well. The simple theft of a nice watch from a recently deceased corpse by an investigating officer/deputy would be reviled greatly by the majority of cops - to include those who had trouble making ends meet. Some are so morally bereft that they will do it, but the vast majority of cops will not steal due to personal and professional ethics.

A simple counterintelligence analysis should have shown the US government and the NYPD of his parents allegiances, histories, and motivators. Instead, the NYPD probably jumped at hiring him due to his ethnicity and without using any COIN diligence. The US government capacity for CI is woefully inadequate for an industrial state, much less a post-industrial super-power.

MDLibertarian likes this.
  15. blueiron

blueiron

His own people are Chinese Communists. A promotion and a posting to Beijing may be warranted by Xi's regime, but here, he deserves a long bid in SuperMax, courtesy of the "innkeepers" at the BoP.

fla2760, Intolerant and Sharkey like this.
  16. nursetim

nursetim

I thought the article said he was Tibetan. His loyalty may be with ccp, but he is Tibetan.

Intolerant likes this.
  17. collim1

collim1

Just have to wonder how this came to light?

Intolerant likes this.
  18. Sharkey

Sharkey

The way talk radio here reported it was he claimed he was Tibetan to claim asylum here in the US. His Family lives in Mainland China and his dad is actually some official in the communist part.

Intolerant likes this.
  19. nursetim

nursetim

Well, his name is Tibetan. His father could be a collaborator turncoat.

CAcop and Intolerant like this.