Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on our local news tonight that a New York City emergency room Dr committed suicide in Charlottesville Va today because of stress from what she saw treating covid 19 patients . She had contracted the virus also and recovered and went back to work .

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Lousy way out. She might have had other issues in her life we know nothing about. Prayers for her.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Too bad she wasn’t able to get the help she needed in time. Healthcare can be extremely stressful environment to work in, especially the ER and isn’t at all for the squeamish. The things we see on a daily basis can really weigh heavy on us and it isn’t always easy to suppress them, but suicide should never be the answer.

SO91B

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her father is a Dr also although I didn’t hear if he was still practicing or where he lives .

·
NRA Life Member
66,479 Posts
I saw on our local news tonight that a New York City emergency room Dr committed suicide in Charlottesville Va today because of stress from what she saw treating covid 19 patients . She had contracted the virus also and recovered and went back to work .
I saw in the news that she committed suicide. I saw them speculate about the reason with no evidence, but everything that can be related to the coronapocalypse will be, until the press decides it is played out as a money maker.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
I saw in the news that she committed suicide. I saw them speculate about the reason with no evidence, but everything that can be related to the coronapocalypse will be, until the press decides it is played out as a money maker.
They will continue until Trump is out of office. That is their only goal.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes. Headline in today's local paper says that CreepySleepyJoe leads Trump by 6 points in polls "because of KungFlu."

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Being an ER Doc is a tough place to be. I was a Paramedic for Nine years on one of the busiest Units In Houston TX.
Very Stressful, on Mind and Body. It takes a Special person.
My Hat is off to all those on the front lines.
Also Prayers to those People and There Loved ones too.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am sure it changes you seeing thousands of people dying and your job is to treat them and save lives . What I hear from some of the nurses , is how sad it is seeing them die without family at their side . We don’t know , she might have left a note or talked to someone . It is always sad when a physically healthy person ends their own life.

They call this pandemic a war . It is going to have the same mental affects on people that see heavy combat and death all around them everyday . I hope the people on the frontlines of this are getting the mental support they need .

God bless all the Doctors , Nurses and Emergency Responders that are fighting this virus .

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
During my career I was the Medical Director of an Emergency Department in one medium size hospital and I have been a staff surgeon at two busy level 2 trauma centers. I saw a lot of disheartening things in both roles but the trauma was probably worst.

A steady, daily diet of people who lost their lives or had their lives permanently altered as a result of a single, irreversible mistake, or sometimes no mistake at all, such as those killed or severely injured by drunk drivers. Young kids who had tragically jumped into shallow water, broken their necks, and are now quadriplegic for the remainder of their short lives.

And it isn't just dealing with the patients but the collective grief and anxiety of the families. When that is the kind of thing that occupies much of your waking hours, and you add in the effects of stress and sleep deprivation, it is very easy to become jaded to the point that you start to feel life is nothing but a big bowl of crap.

·
Come on man!!
16,579 Posts
"Dr. Breen’s father, Dr. Philip C. Breen, said she had described devastating scenes of the toll the coronavirus took on patients.

The elder Dr. Breen said his daughter had contracted the coronavirus but had gone back to work after recuperating for about a week and a half. The hospital sent her home again, before her family intervened to bring her to Charlottesville, he said.

Dr. Breen, 49, did not have a history of mental illness, her father said. But he said that when he last spoke with her, she seemed detached, and he could tell something was wrong. She had described to him an onslaught of patients who were dying before they could even be taken out of ambulances.

“She was truly in the trenches of the front line,” he said."

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
After working way too many suicides, I came to the conclusion that some people are just wired that way.

Conversely, I have an old friend who's had a ****ay life based on a domino string of bad choices- substance abuse, crazy broom-jockey women, long term incarceration and constant pain from 64 years of flying himself into the ground. Over a beer, another friend asked him how he stands it.

"Oh I've thought about checking out; guess everybody does at one time or another. I just don't want to miss 'what happens next'!"

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This serves as a reminder to me that there is a lot of good in this world and it’s easy to lose sight of that during troubled times. I hope other medical professionals will realize they’ve done a lot of good and can continue to help others.

May the departed doctor Rest In Peace.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
The method of choice was not mentioned anywhere.

Permanent solution to a temporary problem.
THIS.

Even at the lowest low, she could walk away from medicine, even temporarily...take a break, a vacation, step back. Perhaps she thought she was 'stuck' in a never-ending cycle...maybe there were other things happening in her life that combined to push her over the edge.

There's always 'more to the story'.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts