NY Trigger Return Spring??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by GCF, Sep 22, 2018.

1. GCF

GCF

OK, so for dedicated range guns (gens 1-4), I've heard that a lot of guys install lighter trigger return springs - along w/ aftermarket ( or factory *-*) connectors.

Many would concur, that's a bad idea for a carry piece.

Seems I've also heard that for carry, some guys have found an advantage to running a factory Glock NY spring (as opposed to a basic factory Glock spring) - w/ a factory Glock *-* connector.

I am well aware that many are adamantly opposed to making ANY mods to the factory trigger on a carry piece, & I take NO ISSUE WHAT SO EVER w/ that viewpoint, but for those that have tried different NY spring combinations on your carry piece, I'd like to hear your thoughts - based on experience.

Advantages? Dis-advantages? Safer carry - w/ a more controllable break? Big friggin' waste of time? Or what?

Thanks in advance!

Pierre! likes this.
  2. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Why change from the stock?

What trigger goal are you trying to accomplish?

FireMedic-50 likes this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I once tried the NY trigger spring and "-" connector, after reading for the thousandth time about the "revolver-like" trigger it would produce.

Apparently none of the people who used to say that have ever shot a revolver - it felt like a toy gun with rubber bands for a trigger spring. Took it out and have never been tempted to try it again.

Joebiker and starfish86 like this.
  4. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

E786A202-C84B-4C08-80CE-7A8980352E64.jpeg
    I had forgotten all about the NY trigger spring until you posted. Some people say it has a better reset, only difference I could tell was about a two pound heavier trigger even with a 3.5 connector. Also to me it seems more complicated and issue prone than the simple spring.

GCF and starfish86 like this.
  5. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

If you want to try something, try installing (just) the Glock 8lb. connector.

I have done that to all my Glocks, and can't say enough about the trigger pull.

All the mush is gone, the break is super crisp, and reset is perfect. When running drills etc., you don't notice the slightly heavier pull, (at all)!

I know I'm in the minority here, running an 8lb. connector, but I'll never switch to anything else.

Gift it a whirl, you will be surprised! :D

BobinNC and glock1097 like this.
  6. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

I grew up running wheelguns, and carried and competed with revolvers on my own time and as a Deputy. I have long preferred the NY1 trigger spring setup in any and all Glocks that I carried for serious use ( with the notable exception of recent models.. more on that in a moment).

I feel that the NY1 gives a much more “revolver like” trigger pull than the 5.5lb stock set up. I prefer the overall trigger experience of the NY1. I believe the take up is safer for a carry piece, with firm resistance early on, less “stacking “ and the break is much better, imo. Reset is distinct, very tacticile and audible. Subjectively speaking, it’s a less “spongy” feeling trigger. New York trigger springs are also supposedly more durable than the stock 5.5lb springs. I’ve never had either break, but I have witnessed a stock 5.5lb spring break, and never seen a NY spring break.....admittedly I’ve seen many, many more stock triggers in action than the NY1 models.

Notable exceptions being the stock trigger on more recently manufactured Glocks.. my gen 4 G19 and my G43 have stock factory triggers, and what to me feel like a very New York trigger feel. I don’t own a gen5 pistol, but samples I’ve tried both in live fire and dry fire seem to collectively be among the best feeling Glock triggers ever.

Please bear in mind, the trigger option I’m referring to is the roughly 8 1/2lb NY1, and NOT the NY2, which at over 12 lbs crosses the point of diminishing returns imo.

Taroman, mc1911, GCF and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bradley T

Bradley T

8. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

The "Minus Connector" is good but you don't don't go lighter on the trigger spring.
    There are 2 schools :
    Keep it stock at 5#
    Bump it to 6#
    When you go to 6# spring, the pull will be reduced by you may get a funky reset.
    It fights the striker spring.
    Keeps it at 5# and reduce pull in other ways (crisp reset remains)

So going with the Minus Connector is perfectly OK for carry.

I can't see how this will yield a good result unless you wanted somewhere well North of a 5# trigger.
    You have to decide what you want for a pull weight.
    I've gotten to 2-1/2# with too much trouble, but this is not a carry piece.

9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I just leave mine alone

DirectDrive likes this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X

I like them well enough and have them installed in all my Glocks. They are supposedly more durable than the stock spring, but I just mainly prefer a heavier trigger pull on a defense weapon and believe it does provide an additional measure of safety. I own several DAO revolvers, but I don't find the Glock NY triggers to be anything like a revolver trigger despite the marketing.

11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

I *LOVE* the Olive NY1 trigger spring - All my carry and competition Glocks run them. The G17 & G22 run the regular springs... but all others have the Olive NY1 springs.

Contrary from what you have been told, these have a *very* low failure rate. The stretch of the "installed" 5Lb spring has caused one failure in a G19. I was able to complete the match without it, but switched to the NY1 trigger spring afterwards.

I do like the very positive reset. I used mostly LoneWolf 3.5Lb connectors in the combination. The dedicated competition pistols have the LoneWolf Universal Trigger Housing for over travel adjustment. They also work well, but are not installed in the carry pistols.

Try it out, and see if you love it.... Or Not.

It's a Major Investment at $2.50 (EACH! LOL) - See if you can pick it up locally, shipping will double the cost... or MORE! (LOL)

It's a personal decision.

Let us know what works best!

GCF likes this.
  12. glock1097

glock1097

My sentiments exactly. I’ve been carrying a Glock for over 25 years. My Glock23Gen4 trigger mimics my Glock23Gen2.

13. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

This has been a subject of much debate here on GT...I believe for a EDC or Defensive platform, the overwhelming evidence and opinions favor leaving the platform as stock as you can live with
    ( pun intended)...for all other intended purposes, the sky is the limit

GCF likes this.
  14. maxmanta

maxmanta

The original NY1 spring (the black one) worked out well for me. It was just a flat, plastic spring without the coil spring.

It gave a nice, crisp take up and break.

As far as departing from stock is concerned, the NY1 spring was, and still is, made by Glock specifically for their pistols to create a "safer" gun. I doubt you'd face any liability problems by installing one.

15. GCF

GCF

Simply looking for input on a technical point of interest. Not relative to my current carry piece, which is a G19.5.

Nice trigger on that, BTW. Smooth / minimal take up, relatively crisp break, & a positive reset. Currently have a *-* connector installed for evaluation, & the jury is still out on that.

Been considering the purchase of a G26.4 that's been offered to me - at a good price, so guess you could say I'm exploring options for the future.

Been a wheel gun / 1911 aficionado my entire adult life, but the last couple of years, have developed a strong interest in the plastic fantastic. Won't go into the laundry list of reasons why, as I'm pretty sure we are all on the same page, so no explanation required.

I will say that in my opinion at least, if there is room for improvement on the platform, it's the trigger break. Everyone has their own viewpoint on carry gun trigger mods. Personally, I've got no issue w/ improvement that does NOT compromise safety, & is accomplished w/ factory parts.

Why the interest in a heavier TRS, & the *-*? After installing the *-* on my 19.5, I've come to the realization that while the break is much improved, the heavier wall characteristic of the factory original connector, actually is a safety feature. Not necessarily a bad thing on a carry piece. Occurs to me that a "slightly" heavier TRS "might" be a bit of a safety buffer - on an otherwise factory part improved, carry gun trigger. Again, just thinking ahead about an earlier generation G26.

16. GCF

GCF

Thanks for pointing out the difference.

Also, understand that there are multiple versions of the NY1? Is this correct?

17. GCF

GCF

Thanks for the input. So now we have references to both black, & olive NY1 TS's. How many versions are there actually, & how do they differ?

18. GCF

GCF

Thanks for posting the pic. I was under the incorrect impression that the NY TRS was "just" a spring, but now I see it's really a spring assembly.

19. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

The Black must have been before my time... I have always had the Olive NY1 springs. That's what they showed us in the Armorer's class (in late 90's I think) and that's whats in my pistols.

LoneWolf Distributing shows them on their site for $2.50. May be able to get one locally for that price. Ordering online with shipping would kill the pricing.

20. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

NY1 + LWD 3.5# connector
    What is your trigger pull weight with that combo ?