close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NY Times article on SWAT raids

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ChiefWPD, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

2. texmex

texmex

All this can stop anytime America wants it to stop. All they have to do is; stop using illicit drugs, stop selling illicit drugs, raise your children to be law abiding citizens, shun people who use or condone illicit drugs.

3. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

This is terrible!!!! Are their no "safe spaces" for drug dealers, illegal drug abusers, and just plain dirt bags?????

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

What is your relevant experience with writing/executing search warrants to lead you to this logical conclusion?

6. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Got an original thought, or just gonna come here and parrot the ACLUs lies? Just want to know so I can put you on the ignore list early if it's #2

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

That was the single most slanted, BS example of cherry picked data and hyperbole I've ever had the misfortune to read. It was full of half truths and whole lies, and was the most disingenuous sort of attempt to gin up hatred of the police based on an exceedingly rare instance of things going bad in an exceedingly rare duty of police operations. It's like a ghost of a ghost, it's total garbage.

8. Dragoon44

No knock warrants are not at all common . The vast majority of warrants that are referred to as "no knock" are in fact "knock and announce". But usually are portrayed as "no knock" because after knocking and announcing forced entry is made rather than waiting for someone to respond and open the door.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Knock & Announce warrant served by knocking & announcing. Do the subjects at the address open up? Nope, in fact they can be seen and or heard scurrying about inside. BOOT the door as is not only lawful but the intelligent/safe thing to do.

What happens next? The media & Internet wingnuts call it a "no knock warrant".....

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

10. packsaddle

packsaddle

hmmm, lemme guess.....you're an approximately 25-35 year old white male, at least one tattoo, single, drive a lifted truck with big all-terrain tires, was denied entry into a police academy in your 20's because of a prior POM conviction?

11. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

Close. Do you like my avatar!
    It just seems to me the police keep getting more power at the expense of freedom.

12. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

You were asked questions to open up a dialogue. If you pay attention, you may learn something from people who actually do this for a living.

13. Dragoon44

The problem with this view, particularly in regards to serving warrants is that until early to mid 1900's the police didn't even need a warrant.

The requirement of a warrant in the Constitution was a restriction upon the Federal Government and it's agents. Not on State, County, or city Authorities. It wasn't until the early part of the1900's that Courts began incorporating the bill or rights against the States in a process continuing well into the 1960's and 1970's

It was only a few years ago that the second amendment was incorporated against the States.

Historically speaking it is a case of police powers being more and more restricted since the early 1900's rather than police powers being in expanded.

14. SRT Shaft

SRT Shaft

Not for nothing, its not the police taking away freedom, its the politicians some of us keep voting for, does the name Clinton ring a bell, just take a look at the laws they drafted and got signed, they're unconstitutional and did nothing to help crime, not trying to come down on you, just saying its not police, its the policy's set forth by these jack boot politicians.

Earl Smith, Capt. H, Agonizer and 2 others like this.
  15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I encourage frank discussion about this aspect of LE. That doesn't include argument by sound bite, or name calling, whether it's directed towards an individual or a whole profession.

16. igor455

igor455

And we all know the NY times is the paragon of factual and honest reporting, right

17. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Comments on the Times article from one of my closest friends. He's a retired NYPD (Lieutenant Drug Enforcement Task Force) and a retired chief from a sheriff's office. Here are his observations:
    I have been teaching Risk Management/Raid Planning for over 30 years. I have personally been involved in well over 2000 search warrants as a detective, Sergeant & Lieutenant.

The author left out some key information (I would expect no less from the anti-Police NY Times)

How man people that were shot brandishing weapons were convicted felons who should not have had a weapon?

What options did the police have in many of the cases that would enhance both public safety and the safety of the police officers?

Was the tac-plan prepared properly?

We're all checks on the residence performed, I.e., block & lot, utility bills, school records, children in the home? NOTE: I constantly stress in my training that you CANNOT use stun grenades if there is ANY chance there are children in the home.

Was proper surveillance of the location performed?

Could an undercover have made entry into the location?

WACO was the epitome of poor planning and there were alternatives to making those arrests.

I CANNOT BLAME SWAT TEAMS. THEY ARE ONLY THE TOOL USED BY THE INVESTIGATORS. THEY ARE TOLD ENTER SAFELY, QUICKLY AND ARREST PEOPLE.

18. Southswede

Southswede

We're gonna need a bigger short bus.

19. merlynusn

merlynusn

What would you rather LE do? How often are no knock warrants utilized? How often are knock and announce warrants utilized?

Would there ever be a time for a no knock warrant? If so, under what conditions?

10or45, Fearless leader and TBO like this.
  20. crockett

crockett

Now I want my own BearCat!

TBO and SRT Shaft like this.