close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nutrition and exercise question

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Bullman, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I didn't know where to post this for sure, but I thought I would try here.

I have made a new years resolution to get in shape and I have been exercising frequently since the first of the year. I have also been eating better, lots more veggies and fruit in my diet. For the most part, I have been feeling great after my exercising, my knees have quit hurting (doing low impact aerobic stuff as well as weight training) and my muscles generally are not too sore.

Till today, after my morning workout, I drove past Mcdonalds on the way home and I felt the yearning for a sausage and egg McGriddle ( I am still pissed that they don't serve the bagels here anymore). So I had a bad breakfast with a Mcgriddle ane hashbrown. When I woke up today (I work nights, hence the wierd schedule) I hurt something fierce. Does bad nutrition aid with this? Or am I just dreaming this up?

2. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I would suspect you are not dreaming it up. When arthritis hit me out of the blue a little over five years ago, I found out that what I ate had a direct bearing on how easily I moved and how much pain I felt. I started noticing that when I came by a restaurant in the mornings and got a sausage gravy biscuit, the joints stiffened up. I finally narrowed the main offender in the sausage to paprika. Also chemical food additives triggered flares in the arthritis. After learning to watch carefully what I ate and learning to avoid prepared sausages and things like that, the arthritis started slowly easing off. In Jan. of last year I went on the Atkins diet, and for the most part, I ate foods we'd prepared at home which were free of chemicals and preservatives. In the past year, the arthritis has improved remarkably. I can go off the diet for a few days, and symptoms once more flare up. Sausage is still the number one offender. If it can affect me like that, I'm sure it can others.

3. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

What kind of "hurt" was it? Joints? Muscles?

4. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Both for the most part. I expect some muscle pain, although it seemed worse than normal. What I really noticed was the joint pain, since I had been surprised that it hadn't been bothering me since I started exercising.

I also have some back pain problems with a herniated L5 disc. It didn't bother me much either until just the other day.

5. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

How long did the flare ups last? Is there anything you do that helps speed them along so you can get back to feeling better? My back even started hurting, I am ready for this to be over. I may never eat breakfast at McDonalds again.