Nutnfancy reviews the M&P 15 Sport

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TheDud, May 4, 2012.

1. DieselNut

DieselNut

There's a reason FOR a dust cover and FA. I've had to use the FA on a AR with bad BGC just to get it back into the upper for disassembly (GO DPMS!). Guns like the Ak don't really need the dust cover where tgey're built to looser tolerances.

I prefer those gadgets on the AR for my personal gun. You may or may not ever need those features. Like the slogan says "your results may vary"

There wasn't enough price difference for me to justify not having them.

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

What do you want to bet he wasn't piss tested a lot?:whistling:

3. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Not trying to bust your nuggets man, not at all. I've bought turd guns before, I'm sure most of us have.

But this perfectly illustrates the point I was making in a previous post. In your case, the FA was an absolute necessity, due to an inherent flaw in the rifle itself.

The FA is a nice thing to have, for peace of mind if nothing else. But myself, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I've never had to utilize it when running a well made AR, including the Sport.

4. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Dust cover? ...Your right most rifles that are or were used in combat don't have one. Its programmed into many minds that one is needed. Foward assist?....In my 30+ yrs of using an AR I can't remember the last time I had the need to use it. Its a panic button for those folks who have not been trained to clear a malfunction.

With the right upgrades I'll put the Sport up against my Colt any day.

5. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

It's a $600 AR, that will serve most people well for the range and HD/SD. So, what "game" are you referring to? What "scoring" is necessary above what the rifle is intended for.

And who the hell compared buying an M&P15S to baseball?

Jesus, I feel like I'm talking crazy pills.

6. M&P15T

The FA is complete redundancy. AR BCGs are milled so you can place your finger on them through the ejection port and push them forward if necessary.

7. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Yup!

However, he described the DPMS rifle having a "bad BCG", that wouldn't go back into the upper. I can only assume it was milled improperly, and required additional force to push it forward.

Probably a scene like I've witnessed at the range far too many times, lol. People pounding on the FA button like it's a game of "Whack-a-Mole". :wow:

8. M&P15T

Right? So he could have applied extra force buy using a finger to push the BCG forward.

The FA only exerts force on the BCG in the last little bit of travel before lock-up. So, if he could get it into battery with the FA, he could have done it without, using his finger.

9. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

:dunno:

Don't know what to tell you bud. I know what you're saying, I can only make assumptions about what he thought was the best course of action.

Which, with DPMS, should have been to find the nearest trashcan... :whistling:

The few times I've had to "help" the BCG in, was due to operator error, lol. I just roll my strong hand up, and thumb it in.

10. mixflip

mixflip

Im guilty of being a little rough with my guns from time to time. (usually after a brass check) and to be honest, if your AR cant handle a little whack to the FA then you have bigger problems. Tapping the FA a few times should not shut down a quality gun that is built to survive combat conditions.

Still, its not wise to "abuse" it either.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  11. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

nice rifle man, nothing wrong with that. did you factor in your shipping costs ect...?

rant over.

if you got to ask me thinks your not in the game.

:dunno:

it not about buying as so much in knowing how to use it instead of thinking you know.

im guessing in an EOTWAWKI there will be a lot of dead guys with shiny AR's in there hands that thought they did.

12. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Lol, I'm more than a little rough with mine. :embarassed:

The roughness is in how I handle/carry/drop/throw it though.
    :rofl:
    Not in how the features of the gun are utilized. Don't know how this guy did it, but believe me, I've seen guys wail on the FA, like brute force is going to fix the problem. The FA was meant to be used, but with a tap, not a hammer blow.

The rifle in question was this guy's DPMS, not a quality AR, just IMO. His problem was a "bad BCG" that wouldn't seat itself into the upper properly.

13. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Thanks. Yeah, rifle was picked up locally, most parts were shipped free from AIM Surplus.

In reality, my "grand total" was quite a bit lower, I was using retail for the rifle price. I traded an AK for it that I probably had all of $450 in.
    :rock:

14. M&P15T

No, I'm not in the EOTWAWKI game......:upeyes::upeyes:

And if you take such non-sense seriously, you need psychological help, some friends, and a woman.
    [​IMG]
    "The Game"?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  15. TheDud

TheDud

@ Hour13,

What upper receiver did you go with for your Sport?

16. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

yes, im a nut because i dont think the M&P15 is da' best ever. i could see where you are going from the begining with this...

by the way the game is knowing how to use you weapon and it's good to know your not in "the game".

but then again if i would have bought an M&P15 sport i would be ready for anything like you... and maybe the grammer police wouldnt get me either.

:cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  17. Airhasz

Airhasz

AR's are just like houses, cars and everything else....there is something for everybody's budget! Some people buy budget everything, some buy quality everything, some buy everything used to get quality on a budget. You get what you pay for. I buy quality and if it fuks up it's not because I'm cheap. I wouldn't buy an AR without FA and DC...If I'm buying a military weapon I will pay for military specs every time.

18. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

I bought a bare DSA upper, and bought the components separately. A Spike's assembled upper will cost roughly the same, but they were out of stock everywhere at the time. I bought the DSA on recommendation from a smith, and it worked out well. Finish wasn't a dead-on match, but the fit & function was perfect.

If you decide to go this route, it is a bit of a job if you aren't familiar with this level of disassembly. Here's some pointers that can save you some headaches.

1) Don't buy that $10 barrel nut wrench off of Ebay, Amazon, etc... A good quality tool will save you from tearing up the barrel nut.

2) The pins for the front sight base are tapered, try hammering them out the wrong direction, and you'll drive yourself nuts. If you look closely, one side of the pins are smaller, hammer on THAT side!

3) For this particular job, removing the flash hider is not required. You have to slide the front sight up the barrel to get the gas tube out of the way, but you don't HAVE to completely remove it from the gun. Up to you.

4) Once you reach this point, take a break. For 30-40 minutes. During this time, leave your upper in the freezer. This is the amount of time it''l take for the aluminum upper to contract, but less time than it takes for the steel barrel nut to do so.

5) After no more than 40min, immediately secure the upper in a vise, and put that wrench to use! Even with the freezer treatment, it's gonna take some muscle to break that bastard loose. Be sure to line the wrench's pins up evenly in the nut to avoid damage.

6) Reverse process, and enjoy!

:wavey:

19. cyphertext

cyphertext

If you are buying an AR-15, you are not buying a military weapon. It may look like one, but it is not one.

I also noticed that you have a S&W M&P 15-22 in your sig. So you think the M&P 15-22 is brag worthy, yet the M&P Sport is cheap junk?

20. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

:thumbsup:
    :perfect10: