Nutnfancy reviews the M&P 15 Sport

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TheDud, May 4, 2012.

1. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

He's a reservist USAF Lt Colonel, flies (or flew, he may now be retired) KC-135 refuelers.

In other words, he's been terrorizing some reserve squadron's meetings for 20 years. I've spoken to him by phone, and immediately regretted doing so even if we did share the same service.

He fills the "I don't know much but I think I do" category of reviewer. He can shoot, and he can talk, and I guess he fills a need, but he's no expert. Odds are, he never qualified with an M16 in the Air Force (most pilots never do, some never even held one before).

2. Sierra

Sierra Millennium Member

For the market segment it is designed I think it will do well. At that price point it is clearly a top contender.

3. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

I still find it humorous that people want to bash the M&P SPORT because it does not have combat capabilities. I find it retarded when people buy one only to put a standard flat top upper receiver on it.

As I understood it, it was supposed to be a hunting/target weapon. Now it is an entry level combat/SHTF option? Lol.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Yeah well nutnfancy is probably a good guy and all but I personally cannot stand most of his reviews. Too much talking, and some of his opinions are just plain stupid.

Back on topic the M&P Sport is a great rifle for the price and it will serve the range plinker well.

5. TheDud

TheDud

Just a question, but I'd like to know what disqualifies it from being a defensive/SHTF weapon? How many guns are on the market today, used for offensive/defensive purposes and don't have a TDP provided by the military?

6. mixflip

mixflip

I saved some money and bought a DPMS then later upgraded to a Stag Arms then recently a Colt 6920... and I have to admit I wish I had just went with the Colt on day one. But my wants and needs are far different than most once a month shooters so a $650 budget AR is fine for most casual shooters.

7. raven11

raven11

Mini-14

8. cyphertext

cyphertext

You mean sporting firearms like the Remington 700 and the Remington 870 that have served military, police and civilians for both sporting and as a service / HD firearm?

9. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

I don't know. Why is it disqualified from being a defensive?SHTF weapon? Since you quoted my post I am assuming you read that I said it wasn't. If it sends a bullet wherever you are pointing it at when you pull the trigger, then it can be used for defensive purposes. My "Now it is an entry level combat/SHTF option? Lol." statement was more of a jab at internet forum guys hyping an otherwise fine weapon as is for what it was intended for, to be the next candidate for slapping a bunch of tactical crap on it for the next whatever particular end of civilization fantasy they subscribed to.

10. Airhasz

Airhasz

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E9Qil7JFec"]hickok45 SHOULD BE BANNED!!! - YouTube[/ame]

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, do you put the dust cover back on after you make fire & maneuver movements so that when you hit the ground over and over again, foreign matters wouldn't get in?

The dust cover doesn't keep dust out and every tiny jolt would pop it open, not to mention catches on every wait-a-minute vine in the boondocks.

Believe it or not but the US Army and Marine Corps fight in places other than the desert.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

TDP, CDP, ZDP... the damn gun had been around since 1950s. It ain't like a new engineering secret.

13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

When the guy said, "I've got to change the battery," I thought he was talking about the EOtech. You know, after that extended xylophone jam session at the beginning of the video.

14. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

I am in awe of ALL of my M&P firearms, including the Sporter. Tremendous value, as compared to the rest of the field.

I found Nutnfancy's presentation totally informative, and the 30-some minutes went by very quickly for me. I don't often watch instructional videos and reviews, so maybe that's why it didn't annoy me. I learned a few more details about my Sporter, and I agree that it runs beautifully, and is quite accurate.

My M&P family now include M&P-9, M&P-45, Sporter, and Shield. Teriffic, all of them.
    Smith & Wesson has got it right.

15. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

did you?

:dunno:

to steal another members schticht, buy once and cry once.

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I never was in the obsessive/compulsive dust-cover closing crowd, though I've observed Marines tend to be, they drill it into them.

Mine never popped open at 'every tiny jolt' even running around in Humvees with a lot of them. I'd rather have the dust cover there than not, but it's not a deal killer for me. AK's, G-3s, FALs and many others don't have one, and I don't worry about it too much.

As the Sport is intended for 'sport' then it's basically an unneccessary expense for the intended use.

17. TheDud

TheDud

Yeah, thats what I saying. TDP is a set of standards that are required by whomever the military contracts with to produce firearms associated with the TDP. Not having a TDP doesn't mean the firearm is useless and untrustworthy.

@LA 357SIG - Sorry, I misread your post :)

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

given what we know about the DI system in an ar15, i will take the dust cover 10 times out of 10 in a combat/shtf.

lol at the guys upgrading the upper,barrel,stock,ect on the gun they bought for great value.

:supergrin:

i do agree its a good thing if it brings in more to the sport and it has.

but like others said, buying the gun is like getting a base hit in a ballgame.

if you want to score and win the game it will take a lot more.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  19. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Not trying to start WWIII here, but what the hell is wrong with that? Doesn't matter if it's a $600 Sport, or a $2,500 Noveske. How many people buy an AR and leave it just the way it came? Not many.

I personally prefer BCM, I tinker, I like to build stuff. But I had a Sport. My build up?

$625 for the Sport.
    $85 for the upper receiver to get the DC/FA.
    $100 for MI drop-in rails.
    $25 for MOE+ grip.
    $35 for AFG.
    $12 for some crappy rail covers off Amazon.
    (red dot in pic belonged to my friend, he wanted to try it out)

[​IMG]

Grand total of $882. And I had an AR, set up EXACTLY the way I wanted. It was a range toy... but the god's honest truth, would I trust my life to it in a SHTF, etc, situation?

Absolutely, 110%. Damn thing ran like a swiss watch, gobbled up mag after mag after mag of whatever ammo I fed it. Incredibly accurate, perfectly consistent ejection pattern.

Got an offer I couldn't refuse, and sold it. Wish I hadn't, and am planning on building another.

However, I feel the Sport is an exception in the world of so-called "value" ARs. Have had my hands on other $600-$800 rifles that I would NOT trust my life to. A few that I really didn't feel comfortable even shooting paper with.

Start with a good foundation. Then upgrade to your tastes.

Rant over.
    :wavey:

20. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

:agree::agree::perfect10::cheers::goodpost::goodpost:
    Amen Brother!