close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Numbers on 9mm factory extractors?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lawboy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lawboy

lawboy

My G26 has an LCI extractor with no "dip" and no marking on the round post. My G19 came with an LCI extractor with the dip and a "2" marked on the post. I just got a new 9mm LCI extractor from Brownell's, and it is marked with a "3".

Any clue on the differences between the 2 and 3?

2. Buckeye Glocks

Buckeye Glocks

Maybe Butch can post a picture of all the different extractors and which models they belong to.

3. Racer Brown

Racer Brown

My G26 has a dip LCI extractor with a "4" -- fired brass collection date of 9/11.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

The old investment cast extractors(the good ones) will have a number cast into the internal spine of the extractor. The new extractors, whatever cheaper process they're made by, have the number on the rounded leg.

[​IMG]

People have asked and been told by Glock representatives that the numbers correspond to which mold was used to make them, not to any particular version or design change.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

were the old (good ones) investement cast extractors also dipped?

is there any other feature to differ the good ones from the bad ones?

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

No...

7. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

so to watch out for a non-dipped extractor would be a good idea for the spare parts box, right?

were the old investment cast non-dipped extractors also non-LCI or were there also LCI old investment cast non-dipped extractors?

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

Well not all of the new ones are bad, it's just that the old ones were better and the chances of getting a bad one were next to none.

There are two main versions of the new extractor. One has a straight top, the other has a dip in the top. Both have a sprue mark on the top, a little round bump. Both of these are "new" extractors:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17481066&postcount=216

And this is what the old extractors look like, they do not have round bump(sprue mark) on the top:
    (he calls this a new extractor but it's actually one of the old extractors)
    1: http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/SGTDuffman/Glock Fixes/NEWEXTRACTOR3.jpg
    2: http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/SGTDuffman/Glock Fixes/NEWEXTRACTOR4.jpg
    3: http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/SGTDuffman/Glock Fixes/NEWEXTRACTOR5.jpg
    4: http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/SGTDuffman/Glock Fixes/NEWEXTRACTOR.jpg
    Among the new extractors I haven't seen how one version is really better than another, with any of the new extractors it seems you either get a good one or a bad one regardless of whether it has the dip top or straight top.
    Among the old extractors, there were 90 degree non-LCI, 15 degree non-LCI, and 15 degree LCI. Among the new extractors, there are only 15 degree LCI. I found an old 15 degree non-LCI extractor in one of my local gun shops and it's what I used along with the 28926 ejector to fix the ejection problem in my Gen3 G27. All of the old extractors have been discontinued so the only way to find them is to look around in gun shops that have old stock of Glock parts, and know how to tell that it's an old extractor by the location of the cast number mark.

90 degree vs 15 degree ejection port:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14627645&postcount=6

90 degree vs 15 degree extractors:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14630188&postcount=16

9. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

wow, as always, really great info from you, voyager4520.
    amazing what you know about glock and glock parts.
    my highest respect, buddy!

still 3 more questions, hope you don't mind, but you are the only one i can ask:

which one of the old style extractors are to prefer?

90 degree non-LCI
    or
    15 degree non-LCI
    or
    15 degree LCI

what about the 5 degree cut on the front of the extractor, new or old? good or bad?

as an easy to recognize feature for an old (good) extractor, one could look for non-LCI extractor, to be on the safe sight, right?

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

Well I only own 15 degree slides, so I prefer either of the 15 degree extractors. I own one of each, LCI and non-LCI and I don't see how one is better than the other, they're pretty much equal.
    The 5 degree cut is good, it acts to angle the spent casing upward so that the case mouth clears the ejection port better. All 9mm extractors have a parallel cut claw, old 10mm extractors had the same parallel cut, but shortly after they switched to LCI the 5 degree cut was added to 10mm extractors. All other calibers have the 5 degree cut. I'm pretty sure .380 uses the same extractor as 9mm, with the parallel cut.

One thing that has worked for some people who've had erratic ejection in their 9mm Glocks was to use .40 caliber extractors. The .40 extractor holds the rim of the spent casing closer to the breech face, and it has the 5 degree cut on the claw to help raise the case mouth of the spent casing so it can better clear the ejection port.
    Yes, but if you use a non-LCI extractor you have to use a non-LCI spring loaded bearing of the appropriate caliber with it. When I installed the non-LCI extractor in my Gen3 G27, I used a .40 non-LCI spring loaded bearing as well.

Surprisingly, the 90 degree extractors will work in a slide which has a 15 degree ejection port. It just sticks out a little bit, and also requires use of the non-LCI spring loaded bearing.

The 90 degree extractors are still made for some calibers, I haven't heard from anyone who's bought one recently but if you were to buy one it may very well be made by the old investment casting process.

11. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

is there a difference between the non-LCI loaded bearing for a 9mm extractor and the non-LCI loaded bearing for a .40 extractor or are the bearings the same?

if i got it right there are 2 different slide-types of the 9mm slides, a 90 degree and a 15 degree, the 90 degree older than the 15 degree.
    what do the 15 and 90 degree refer to in relation to the slide (not the extractor)?

i only own 3rd gen. glocks, do they all (even early gen.3 glocks without a 2nd front pin/ extra locking block pin) 15 degree slide cuts?

i assume what is correct for the 9mm extractors, is also correct for the .40 extractors, there were non-LCI models and LCI models, right?
    better to get a non-LCI .40 extractor than a LCI .40 extractor due to ben made in the old investment casting process?

12. voyager4520

voyager4520

Yes. 9mm SLB's are black, .40/.357/45GAP SLB's are white, 10mm/45ACP SLB's are green.

The angle of the ejection port next to the breech face,
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14627645&postcount=6
    I think all Gen3 Glocks have the 15 degree slide but I'm not sure. I've seen pictures of some 2-pin Gen3 9mm models and they have 15 degree slides.
    There were non-LCI and LCI versions for .40, correct. As long as the extractor is the old investment cast, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Another simple way to recognize an old extractor is by the picture I put in my first post, the old extractors have the number cast into the internal spine of the extractor. The new ones have the number cast into the rounded leg.

13. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

thanks for all the info, that's a really big help for me!

if i got it right, you can't run a non-LCI .40 extractor with a 9mm non-LCI bearing, right?

i'm off to bed now, here, where i live, it's 3 AM now in the middle of the night.

read you tomorrow
    best regards
    dusty

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

It may very well work. People who had success using the .40 LWD-brand extractors to fix the ejection in their 9mm Glocks were using 9mm LCI spring loaded bearings.

I remember two cases in particular where people used 90 degree .40 non-LCI extractors with .40 non-LCI spring loaded bearings to fix the ejection problem in their 9mm Glocks with 15 degree cut slides.

I'd keep the SLB in the same caliber and non-LCI or LCI type, but the caliber type doesn't seem to make too much of a difference.

15. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

okay, so i gonna try the one and the other method.

thanks a lot, voyager

16. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

17. bentbiker

bentbiker

So, where are you? UTC+1?

18. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

exactly UTC+1 / western europe

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012