close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

number of entries / flinching

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by another okie, Oct 2, 2002.

1. another okie

another okie

My first few GSSF matches I just shot two 9mms. At the last two I've also shot a .45. This makes a total, I guess, of over 300 rounds. After Hallsville I've decided that's just too many for me - I was flinching so badly on the third entry I totally embarrased myself on the plates.

1. Does anyone else have trouble with multiple entries?

2. Is there a way to calm the nerves between entries? Are you allowed to sit in the safe zone and dry fire for ten minutes?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Four pistols is a lot for most folks. If your are going to shoot 330 to 440 rounds per match, them you must practice 330 to 440 rounds per session.

My suggestion is to shoot no more that two pistols back to back. After shooting the entire match, take a break and then shoot pistols 3 and 4. Fatigue is a factor in competition. I seldom shoot more than 2 pistols. When I do it's 2 in the morning and one after lunch. I also carry 10 magazines per entry, which I load before arriving at the match (7 hi-caps with 11 rounds and 3 10-round mags).

You may go to a safe area and dryfire as much as you desire during a GSSF match.

3. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

I shoot 4 entries per match. I usually have the opposite problem though. I don't seem get warmed up until the last string of the match. I wish I could go to a practice range and just blast though 100 rds before the match.

One thing you might want to do when practicing is to start with long distance slow well aimed shots. Right before you start to feel fatigued run about two mags at close range of high speed double taps. Then dry fire then take a break. Come back to slow fire.

One week before the Indy match I did this with about 1500 rds of ammo, along with my regular 400 rds every other weekend. It worked out quite well. I came out 11 or 12 "A" class (If I remember right) in three out of four entries. I'm glad I did it atleast a week before the match though, I had one heck of a blister and callous on the web of my hand.

This is probably a bass-ackwards training philosophy but seems to help me work out the jitters. Often times while working slow I tend to think "too much" which starts to cause anticipation of recoil. By speeding up for a minuete it breaks me of that.

I also agree with Danny, If your gonna compete with more rounds you need to practice with more rounds and do it more often. You might also want to wear plugs and muffs when competing. That sharp crack will start to wear and tear on nerves that are pumped up to begin with.

4. 40blaster

40blaster

I would try to stick with one size frame, that being nine millimeter. That is unless you are shooting the forty five in major sub-gun. When I was doing that, with a G-29, I shot all my classes with the G-29 so I would not have to change grips, recoil and fumble around with different magazines. The only draw back was leaving ten millimeter brass on the ground, emmm that hurt.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I used to shoot 4 catagories. :) I would shoot one and then let someone else shoot, then repeat for the next Catagory and so on. A lot of folks shoot 2 in the morning and then the other two in the afternoon. Another popular mode is two Saturday and then one or two on Sunday. Just don't overload yourself. Loading your ammo down with a lighter recoil will diminish your fatigue as well.

6. Glockshot

Glockshot

I tend to shoot better the first one over the second and as Fireglock I shoot one and let one or two others shoot then I shoot the next etc. So , I shoot better early, little rest the night before, and no breakfast. As fireglock tells me ( man you like to shoot fast and leave). But I always have something to do.:) :). Last year Statesville had to get to Fayetteville, NC to get the wife from her Hair appointment back to GA., This year Conyers had to get a bit of sleep before getting to work. Oh well ;)

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

John; you are just too busy.

8. Glockshot

Glockshot

I am WORKING ON FIXING THAT I can assure you;a ;a

9. another okie

another okie

Thanks for the replies. Shooting both days is not really practical for me, since the closest two GSSF matches are each 5 to 6 hours away. I did take a break at Hallsville between entries 2 & 3, but it didn't really help that much. Dry firing is what it usually takes to cure my flinch. I think I'll cut back to two entries. I actually did better at Hallsville in Amateur Civilian than I ever had before, so maybe the practice is starting to pay off. I'm still a beginner. I developed the flinch because I bought a glock 23 for my first handgun in reaction to the Brady Bill. I didn't have any instruction, just started shooting, which is not the way to take up handgun shooting. The .40 kicks pretty hard in a plastic gun like the Glock, and I developed a pretty bad flinch. I do think with proper instruction anyone can shoot anything.

10. Glockshot

Glockshot

I looked but didn't see it ; Tips From The Pros may help. It's 36 pgs. of good helpful info. Send Eric a mail and ask him if he can get it to you , although it was on the board the whole of last year.