Glock Talk banner

Number 1 Grizzly 10mm ammo

977 Views 23 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  BallisticNerd
Automotive lighting Font Auto part Cylinder Logo

Please correct me if I’m wrong but from my research and video test observations this 220 grain coated hard-cast is the very best ammo for Grizzly defense you can get to use in a Glock G20.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
4,152 Posts
If your Glock 20 will stabilize it and shoot it reliably. It might not, and you may need to try 200 grain instead. Buffalo Bore also makes a 220 HC, but it’s not coated. That’s what I used in my 20 for years in Alaska and it was very reliable, but I also had a KKM barrel in the gun.

Basically, if it were me and I had to bet my life on it, 100 rounds minimum without a malf, in the mags I’d be carrying in the bush, before I’d consider it.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
There are also u-tube videos of people shooting the Underwood 220gr WFNs having failure to feed issues, add to this, limp wristing problems shooting this ammo. Buffalo Bore ammunition, notes the 10mm having had some success against Alaskan bears, but lists the 10mm caliber marginal against Alaskan bears.

One needs to be highly proficient with their weapon while being charged through brush by a 600lb+ grizzly at 45ft/sec...how many times practicing does it take to draw and shoot a fast moving target in one second? A second follow-up shot (one-handed) when one's hands have a slippery fluid or other slippery substances on their hands, causing limp wristing?

I have four 10mms that I've shot extensively, I'm too old to carry/shoot a 454 Casull, but I can shoot the 44mag proficiently on moving targets and this caliber would be first choice for sidearm carry in Alaskan/Montana/Wyoming bear country.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
If your Glock 20 will stabilize it and shoot it reliably. It might not, and you may need to try 200 grain instead. Buffalo Bore also makes a 220 HC, but it’s not coated. That’s what I used in my 20 for years in Alaska and it was very reliable, but I also had a KKM barrel in the gun.

Basically, if it were me and I had to bet my life on it, 100 rounds minimum without a malf, in the mags I’d be carrying in the bush, before I’d consider it.
I set up a 500 round G20/200gr WFN test, handloaded/Double Tap ammo (Lonewolf, KKM/6" barrel) and experienced two failure to feed issues w/i 350 rounds (one each handloaded/DT), the G20 has been in a safe ever since.

· Registered
122 Posts
View attachment 1154642
Please correct me if I’m wrong but from my research and video test observations this 220 grain coated hard-cast is the very best ammo for Grizzly defense you can get to use in a Glock G20.
Underwood certainly is a popular choice but whether its the "very best" is debated. The other option I see a lot of people recommend is Buffalo Bore's equivalent. An Outdoor Life article you can google likes that better. Its what I went with, but partly thats because it was available locally since Buffalo Bore is made a lot close to where I live. I don't think can go wrong either way.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW, most high-end 10mm ammo manufacturers list their 200 grain HC loads as having greater energy than their 220 gr.
I personally have seen better performance with the 200's and don't use the 220's at all.
I know the Underwood muzzle energy is 694 foot lbs for their 200 grains at 1250 FPS and the 220 grain is 704 foot lbs at 1200 FPS. It sounds like the 220 would have better penetration and recent testing has showed it consistent with advertised power or even better.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
I know the Underwood muzzle energy is 694 foot lbs for their 200 grains at 1250 FPS and the 220 grain is 704 foot lbs at 1200 FPS. It sounds like the 220 would have better penetration and recent testing has showed it consistent with advertised power or even better.
And Double Tap's 200 gr cast load is 1300 fps @ 750 ft lbs M.E.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And Double Tap's 200 gr cast load is 1300 fps @ 750 ft lbs M.E.

Good find!

· Registered
40,451 Posts
The penetration diff would be minimal if any. I prefer my own 200gr wnfp because of the wider meplat. If buying factory, i would try both 200 & 220 See which shoots best & most reliable. Shoot them strong & weak hand only, thats where malfs occur most.

· Registered
40,451 Posts
But can it be trusted?
Most ammo manf dont make vel claims, pretty normal.
Not sure what shooting a cast iron pan proves?

Reactions: Rock_Crawler_Jeep
1 - 20 of 24 Posts