close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NTSB recommends lowering drunk driving to 0.05%

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Altaris, May 14, 2013.

1. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Just ban everything to make it easier for all of us. Ban drinking water. Ban breathing the air. Ban looking at a piece on the earth. E V E R Y T H I N G!

2. CAcop

CAcop

I like how people here are talking about MADD being behind this when it is the NTSB.

My dad was a defense attorney when they set the 0.1 limit back in the day. They brought him to a test track. No driving simulators in those days. They gave him straight up grain alcohol rather than "Here drink this beer." Then they had him drive.

3. BIGBEAR92314

BIGBEAR92314 KK6HKT

4. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

Just come to CO and drive stoned instead. So far they have come up with no accurate or agreed upon assessment on when u r too high to drive. I guess that makes u flying low instead:D

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I find it interesting those people who just have to drink and drive.

Their excuses for doing so are down right juvenile at best. Oh.....let me do as I want to do. Let me do what makes me happy. Screw everyone else, especially those I may hurt in doing so.

Besides, I'm such a grand driver I would never be responsible for hurting anyone. Shucks, I haven't been responsible for anything since the 70's......ya know?

6. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

I mentioned MADD because they were the most vocal supporters of lowering the BAC level back in the day.
    They have also supported ridiculous zoning laws that have closed down liquor stores.
    If they come out against this,then I will recant.
    However,I'm not holding my breath on that.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

These numbers show the alcohol related fatalities in 2011 were 38% of those in 1982. But the non-alcohol related fatalities in 2011 were 126% of those in 1982.

So from just these two data points we could assume something about alcohol and driving has resulted in reduced fatalities. But no where can these statistics be used to say a further reduction in the "legal limit" would have any effect. Better enforcement, more awareness, a decline in people who risk driving with BAC > 0.08, other things all could explain the decline.

8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Yeah, because folks who have a couple of drinks at Chili's and drive home unimpaired are just the worst, right?

10. CAcop

CAcop

Are they unimpaired?

What is your data?

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I don't htink so. I think the # "38" is the error. It should be 31. It's 31% of all deaths were DD deaths. And 60% were in 1982.

No question we can't say lowering the BAC limit does it. But they HAVE gone down as a % of the whole, which is what Dana was arguing against.

I'll guess again - it's not the safer cars or lower limits. It's people FEARING getting caught. 10K deaths, 1.4Million arrests for DD in 2011. One in 200 people or so got bagged for DUI. People fear that.

12. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I'm much more afraid of drivers using phones for voice or texting.

"I find it interesting those people who just have to drink and drive."

I don't have to, but a drink before a meal doesn't appear to any effect when I get behind the wheel an hour or even 90 minutes later. I did this at lunch Sunday before I started my 137-mile interstate drive from the nursing home back to Richmond. Heck, I did it every Friday for 4.5 years until my father died in 2011. One drink, lunch, some coffee, read the Washington Post and talk to the staff until I'm ready to roll.

The VA State Police card/chart I have shows that at 190 I can drink 4 drinks in 2 hours and still be barely under .08. I think I'm unsafe to drive after 4 in 2 hours and never do it. It's hard to dodge the cell phone users at 70 mph if you're not at the top of your game.

13. Altaris

Altaris

If I go have a glass or two of wine/beer with my steak dinner, I am not a threat to anyone on my way home. I am far less of a threat than any of the Texting idiots, sleepy drivers, and other distracted drivers.

I am stuck in bed right now with a hurt back and neck thanks to a texter.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

This data shows in 1999 that BAC over .08 was responsible for 20.3% of them. In 2009 the drivers involved in fatalities was 22.2%.

That means that even with the enforcement/laws that the percent of wrecks went up 2%. (I would say +/- is probably statisically insignificant if variability year to year was known).

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

yes that is right 31%

16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Compare the two sets of data.

They have significantly different numbers for 1999 and 2009.

Link 1 is 20.3% and 22.3% respectively.

Link 2 is 40% and 38% respectively.

I would tend to believe census data over "alcoholalert" data. Data sources can be important

17. mixflip

mixflip

I guess if your life has not been affected by a drunk driver you will be upset at such a proposal.

In my town, an entire family burned to death when their van was hit by an 18 year old drunk driver.

A few months later another 18 year old drunk driver drove his car straight into the patio of a breakfast restaurant and sent a family of four to the ICU. They were pinned under the car and the kid tried to walk away but got tackled by witnesses. The victims had broken backs, broken hips and collapsed lungs.

I was there when my co-worker got the news that his wife and son and niece were all killed by a drunk driver. It was a gut wrenching experience to witness. The mans spirit was broken beyond words.

I am not a drinker so I could care less if it was banned 100%. I drank like a fish when I was young and dumb. I was a drunk driver many times and never got caught. I guess I just out grew that phase of life. Im am probably one of those odd balls that can have a good time without the need to drink.

I say drink all you want but just dont drink and drive. If you play, be prepared to pay.

18. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

My cousin was killed by a drunk driver in Jacksonville who's BAC was 0.192.
    I still recognize the difference between driving drunk and having drink with your meal.

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I guess if your family has not been affected by a shooter you will be upset at additional gun control laws.

See how well that works?

20. ShallNotBeInfringed

ShallNotBeInfringed NRA Business Al

Concealed Carry holders have a zero tolerance. (all states?)

As many of us Concealed Carry, anything except soda pop is off limits anyway. Moot point for many of us.