NRA Stickers - A Thief Magnet?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Philo Beddoe, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe

Last year my pickup was broken into in broad daylight. They got my G17, among other things.

Arlington, Tx cops said my NRA sticker was an invite to thieves, so I removed it.

I am wanting to put one back on. My idea is to get a static-adhered sticker to put over the NRA sticker when out of town or in an area that might be risky.

Thoughts?

2. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I never advertise my gun ownership. No NRA stickers, no 'keep honking, I'm reloading' bumper stickers, no 'trespassers will be shot' signs, etc...

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Kinda like the rental car stickers that Florida used to have. The criminals knew who the tourists were by them and would target them.

I'd proudly display a removable NRA decal like your idea.

Criminals aren't like crows, you can visibly hang a dead crow and the others stay away.

4. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Unless your glock was lying out in your seat in plain view, its hard to believe an NRA sticker caused or even attracted that.

Anyone (whether they have an NRA sticker or if they are a liberal hippie type with a "vote democrat" bumper sticker) who drives a nice or even decent vehicle who gives the slightest appearance of possibly having some nice gadgets, stereo, GPS, etc. Inside the vehicle is at risk of a break in. That is why we buy insurance.

Every vehicle with an NRA sticker does not necessarily have an unattended gun inside. On the contrary, many guns ride on the owners hip, under their jacket, or inside their waist band upon exiting their vehicle.

That is my two cents worth on this topic.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  5. thejellster05

thejellster05

I know the risk and have had my truck broken into, but recently put the small seal style NRA sticker on the driver side rear window of my truck. I have an alarm and refuse to get lazy and leave designated truck gun in there.
    I know the risks but it's worth it to me to stand up for what I believe in.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

6. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

I agree. My car has no stickers of any kind. I was going to buy a GLOCK shirt but read an article about not giving anyone the idea you may have a firearm. Stealth is the way to go. Many crooks or perps are not stupid!

7. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe

I had my G26 on my hip, my G17 is my pickup gun. I have a cabled Gunvault in my truck now. Never dreamed someone would break into my truck in daylight, in a busy shopping center parking lot, in a nice area.

The APD officer said that thieves target trucks with NRA stickers.

8. Kentucky Shooter

If you believe that, then you have already answered your own question, you just need to leave off or cover up your stickers.

But i think a thief who targets vehicles with NRA stickers looking for guns will be disappointed at least half the time.

But for the record, I am a non logo guy who avoids bumper stickers and other billboards of all types.

9. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

It's possible the NRA sticker had something to do with it, but probably it wasn't the sticker on it's own. Guns are easy to sell for a quick buck, and that's why the sticker might have played a part. Your car, and probably YOU are likely indicators for the thieves, too! They probably checked you out as you went in, and someone was watching for your return so you couldn't catch them in the act.

If I were you, I'd check with the shopping center security. Very few of these lots don't have video surveillance.......

ooc

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

It is VERY stupid to have stickers on your car or signs at your house that advertise gun ownership. You are just sending a message out to criminals that you have guns for them to steal.

11. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

I would NEVER place a gun-oriented sticker on my vehicles. Invitation to steal.

12. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

What about posting on a gun forum? Someone with some internet/computer savvy and detective skills could pinpoint right where you are. Ask Mrs.V.

13. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

Or maybe the NRA is a don't mess with that one his armed! I have NRA stickers on my truck but thats it. I also lock up my firearm in a steel firearm box that cable locked to the frame of the seat & is under the seat so no one can see it. I also make sure that no one is watching me but it there & I make sure of that! That's if it does not come with me & 99.9% of the time it does.

14. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

For the record I have absolutely no guns at home or in my vehicle, and think guns are bad. I just peruse GT because...well I think guns are baaaaaad!

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I post on GT because I think guns are evil. :thumbsup: :cool:

16. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

:upeyes:

17. Kentucky Shooter

Does an NRA sticker guarantee your vehicle will be broken into sooner or later? That is what I assume your post above was inferring to my earlier comment.

My only point was, vehicles representing all spectrums whether it be political, social, and economic are targets to thieves who have motive and opportunity. No matter what type of sticker or logo is on your car, if a thief can profit from breaking into it and given the opportunity, he will do it.

18. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

I have a sticker on my truck. It hasn't been broken into in the last 12 years that it was on there. Of course it was broken into a couple of years before I put a sticker on it. Not sure that is evidence of anything, but I put more thought into other things like where I park and leave my vehicle than whether I have an NRA sticker on it. Valid concern I am sure, but I rarely have a gun in my vehicle anyway. They would probably break in an steal a pack of gum, a case of water, and my jumper cables most days. If they got lucky they might get a 6 year old GPS and a gun magazine.

19. carloglock19

carloglock19

I would like to put an NRA sticker on my car but I really don't want to take the risk of someone targeting it and breaking in. Maybe Im just being overly cautious.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

I don't advertise my guns or politics on my car. If someone needs to know my views, they can ask me.