close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NRA spoke up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OctoberRust, Dec 21, 2012.

1. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I gotta tell ya, I agree with the video game part.

I'm a gamer, and play on-line FPS games, and some of the kids go absolutely beserk playing them. And that's normal, healthy kids that are just playing too much.

If someone that is already mentally ill gets fixated on them? Oooooh brother, look out.

Still, I believe the biggest issue is our poorly funded and poorly equiped mental health facilities in this country. No place to put the Jared Loughners and Adam Lanzas in this country.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

3. BWHITT

BWHITT

Very happy with the NRA had to say this morning. I find it utterly disturbing that our president could have easily ordered this same protection instantly for every school in the nation but instead decided to milk the media and the situation to introduce his gun control agenda. I think the NRA made the Obama administration look like an *** today.

The idea of a privet organization creating a safe school program and even providing the funding for the schools that need it is a very good idea. Too bad ore own government could not think of it… lots of schools already have their own police force and patrol the school campuses regularly. I think the small school districts are the ones that will need to most help.

I have no love for Assault rifles. If they voted banned them today I would not be upset, but I would worry about what they will ban tomorrow. Perhaps my ability to protect my family…. My pistols, they are after all used more frequently in violent crimes than any other weapon.

I hope the NRA does not have to settle for an Assault rifle ban compromise, but I feel that it could happen unless we can delay the vote long enough to let the media hype ware off.

I am a NRA member and I renew my license on a yearly basis.. looks like people have been joining the NRA at a record pace this week.

4. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

going after video games pissed me off.

5. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I'm not 100% on board with the video game angle, but I though the School Shield initiative was brilliant. I just donated some money to the NRA to support it.

6. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

I saw it as an epic fail. Another TSA type organization running protection in our schools?

They had the national stage to come out and seem compassionate. To offer real ideas and prospects that could open healthy debate and bring some middle of the road Americans into a better understanding on the issues.

But instead they pointed fingers and are just polorizing this country even more. I don't disagree with them, just the way they did it.

7. micah

micah loves you all.

Wayne LaPierre made an *** out of himself. You are the CEO of the NRA. Stop deflecting. Tell us your plan for keeping guns out of the hands of guys like Jared Laughner. There were armed citizens, some well trained, at Ms Gifford's shooting. I am absolutely on-board with putting armed guards in schools, but if the NRA doesn't start advocating for adding some serious teeth to our system of keeping guns out of the hands of the wrong people, someone else will and we will not like it. Prior to it's complete transformation into a PAC, the NRA supported Reagan's '86 ban, the NFA and the GCA - and as a result, we who chose to have firearms can have just about whatever we want with a minimum of hassel compared to the rest of the world. We have it good. Please NRA, don't screw this up and continue to make yourselves - and all gun owners by proxy - look like knobs.

8. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

And what would you have told Mr. LaPierre to say?

:wavey:

red

9. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'll be sending the NRA a donation, since I'm a lifetime member, even though I think they will 'cave' on some kind of compromise, just like they did in 68 (which happened within my lifetime).

I agree with statements about leaving our schools defenseless. But this nation is broke. Cities are laying officers off, rather than hiring more. Where is the money to pay for an officer in every school going to come from?

Allowing willing and trained, armed teachers to carry is the only logical course that I see. If congress wants to outlaw something, outlaw gun free zones.

We all know 'Assault Rifles' are not a class of semi-auto's with certain cosmetic features. The Second Amendment was created to protect our right to own 'true' assault rifles, not just semi-auto's. That right has already been essentially gutted. Now they will outlaw even semi-autos.

My federal Senator is having a staff member come to our city in a couple of weeks. You can bet I'll be there to talk to him. Watch for these kinds of meetings in your city and if possible go talk one on one. Then follow it up with a well written (not email) letter to them.

I also fully agree with the video game comment. I don't even like them for adults, let alone kids. I know I'll get crucified for that remark, but I feel strongly about it.

10. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

False. The closest armed citizen at the Gifford shooting was across the street and down the block at a drug store when Laughner opened fire. The citizen ran up the street to the shooting and managed to help subdue the shooter, but he was not physically present as the massacre went down.

CHL is not a guarantee that there will ALWAYS be an armed citizen in each and every crowd, restaurant or other public venue/gathering any more than having a well-staffed police force is a guarantee that an officer will be present every time a crime is committed.

:upeyes:

11. redbaron007

From what I heard, I have no problems with what he said.

As a parent, I have had some concerns with my son playing online games with others; so, I joined him in playing. I was amazed at the intensity some of these folks had for the game....some seemed very integrated into the games. About 3 months ago he sold his Xbox and games because of the intensity. His words; some of these guys can't separate games from reality and didn't want to deal with them anymore. My son is 16.

I don't have anything against playing video games; but just like other vices, it has the potential to consume a person. What is the answer?......parents be involved with your kids. Will it prevent a Sandy Hook?...couldn't tell ya....this kid had deeper problems; but is sounds as if his mom was very concerned, especially if she was toying with the idea of committing him.

I'll send a donation to the NRA and the NRA-ILA next week.

red

12. philipk

philipk

I couldn't agree more. When we think Wayne LaPierre looks like an *** can you image what the antis are thinking?

I will go out an a limb and suggest a background check for all transfers of firearms including private if the following would take place.

1. An exemption for children and grandchildren.
    2. No more than a $15 fee.
    3. Records of transaction destroyed after three days.

This could happen if the NRA would step up to the plate and be part of the discussion.

As much as many here dislikes the 1968 Gun Control Act, if the NRA wasn't part of the negotiations we would have had full registration of all firearms in 1968.

This is a 1968 situation.

Sometimes I think we are our worst enemies.

13. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

My son turns 16 in January and had a very similar experience. He was very into the first person shooters like HALO 3, Modern Warfare, etc., but he recently passed on HALO 4 when it came out. When I asked him why, his response was "Some of the players take that stuff WAAAY to seriously. It just isn't as fun anymore."

That being said, he still likes playing some of those games, but doesn't normally do so in "live" mode anymore.

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I enjoy many games, you can mute the losers you dont like.

15. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Your use of that ridiculous catch phrase makes you either deluded or a propagandist.

There is no law short of a dictatorship that can "keeping guns out of the hands" of anyone. It's a pipe dream created by the gun banners and impotent police and government officials, and repeated by liberal sheep.

The evil ones can and will do their deeds with any tools they wish. Taking guns and accessories away from people who did not and would not commit these acts DOES NOTHING.

Did you hear me? IT DOES NOTHING.

EXCEPT, disarm American citizens, which is their agenda anyway.

The NRA did a great job under the circumstances. If they even attempted to compromise, they would have lost a million members before the new year.

Although I think some of those video games are evil, I am still against government regulations for them. But, W LaP did a decent job of deflecting.

16. philipk

philipk

So should we get rid of the FFL system and all background checks?

17. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Fine with me.

18. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Didn't hear a call to ban Hollywood or video games, but a succinct criticism of culture in the US.

To arguable degree, focus was moved from "evil guns" to where it should be. The NRA showed empathy to recent events, and provided proactive suggestions and support to help prevent future atrocities. They avoided stepping on raw nerves, while empowering those who can most directly make a difference.

In combination with recent turns in climate, I am feeling a little more optimistic about future.

sent via Tapatalk

19. redbaron007

He did do some of that, too. I think he just got tired of it....some of it was his HS buds became different people when online. :supergrin:

I think he may be wanting a different system.....he mentioned something about it coming out this Spring? :dunno:

red

20. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

I've said it other threads, and I'll say it hear. I was happy with what I heard and what was proposed.

I was not especially pleased with the connection of video games and movies to crime, but as someone pointed out in another thread, the allusion that millions of people participate in these three things (shooting, gaming and movies) and DONT commit crimes shows how the media percieves guns as evil; but media as good. Neither are good nor evil, but can be used to further "stew" a crazy mind into action.

I love the idea of the National School Shield, and even emailed my old highschool encouraging to support the initiative.

Considering the number of people who are supporting the NRA to the two people who obviously only filtered what they wanted out of the presser, I think the NRA has pretty good support. Meanwhile Philip and Micah can just keep stiring the pot - you didnt watch the presser or read the transcript, dont even pretend like you did.