close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NRA President Thinks Automatic Weapons Should Be Illegal

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JBnTX, Feb 22, 2013.

1. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

This statement by National Rifle Association President David Keene is very disturbing.

Is he not aware that about 31 states allow the private ownership of fully automatic weapons, or does he really think they should be banned?

The NRA has never supported machine gun owners and now we know why.

In the future will the NRA agree to the banning of semi-auto weapons too?
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/nra-gun-control_n_2729865.html

He also took questions from students at the sold-out event.

One asked which kinds of weapons Keene thought should be illegal. Keene answered "fully automatic weapons," which are already illegal for private citizens.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

So don't join, hold a press conference to tear up your NRA card and hold your breath until you turn blue.

Or run for NRA president and then the NRA president would hold the same views you do.

3. JBnTX

That's your response?

In the current gun control debate there's a very thin line between full auto
    and semi auto. A lot on non gun people don't even know the difference.

Does the NRA president actually think full auto weapons are illegal,
    or does he know they're legal and thinks they should be banned?

Either way, it's cause for concern.

4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:shocked: You're actually a, 'Fifth Column' sleeper agent; aren't you! ;)

5. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

The OP has a point. I wonder if this is the NRA policy on the subject or just Keene's. One would also think that the NRA President would know that private citizens can and do own automatic weapons.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I don't see as I'm the one pushing wedge issues at a time when we should be banding together.

Perhaps the NRA president believes they should be illegal. Maybe I missed the part where anyone, anywhere, is trying to pass such a law. Since there isn't a bill out there doing this that I'm aware of I put it in the same category as those who want to ban firearms that can go through metal detectors, a non issue to be taken up internally after this cluster screw is survived.

Just what we need, a whole bunch of help for those trying to divide and conquer pro-rights people. Thanks.

7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

It is confusing and cumbersome to explain NFA weapons and rules; if you say they have been illegal since 1934 (sort-of-true) you short cut the conversation for the lefty who believes every black gun is full-auto and has an endless Hollywood magazine and available almost anywhere over the counter with no background check to anyone with a criminal record.

Is the 1934 NFA an unconstitutional travesty? Yes. Am I willing to drop that issue for a moment to have a meaningful conversation with an ignorant sheep in the pubic setting? Of course!

8. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

So let the NRA know you are a member and you do not like Mr. Keenes comment.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I can understand why they take that stance, it's a safe stance to take. Honestly though a full-auto MP5 is no more effective than a semi-auto 12-gauge loaded with buckshot.

10. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

I'm ok with that statement most of the general public have no clue that you can own full auto weapons so let them think you can't. I think it's more of a blanket statement. If you say there legal all hell would break loose.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. JBnTX

I agree with you.

The NRA president is pushing a wedge issue at a time when we should be banding together.

His statement alienates machine gun owners and kind of throws them under the bus at a time when we all need to work together to keep our gun rights.

You'd think the president of the NRA would know better?

Machine gun owners are gun owners too.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Perhaps he doesn't want to get caught up in a detailed discussion about a topic that's not even on the agenda anywhere when it detracts from discussions about what is actually happening here/now? So he takes the easy answer way out to get that off the topic list and moves onto stuff that actually matters.

13. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I kind of think by "illegal" he meant "not able to be purchased as easily as semi-automatics" but I could be way off.

14. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

They are illegal for the vast majority of Americans. I took his statement to reflect upon that and nothing more. I don't see it as a call for tighter restrictions on automatic weapons. Tin foil hats anybody?

15. Roger1079

Roger1079

Saying they are illegal is much easier than trying to explain the requirements for ownership and the restrictions on the full auto firearms that can be transferred to civilians.

You can't even explain the difference between an AR-15 and an M16 to the average person not educated on the subject in most cases. Why go into detail about the NFA, transferrable machine guns, and the process to obtain them only to confuse people further?

I guess he could simply revise his statement to say "Machine guns manufactured or imported after the first part of 1986 are illegal for civilian ownership already and are also illegal for ownership at the state level in many states as well." to pacify the people complaining about his general statement. Either way, I don't think it makes much difference as machine guns are not currently the target of this legislation, just as they were not in 1994.

16. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Maybe he meant just for his son- who's serving ten years in prison for shooting up someone's car in a Road Rage incident???

17. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

At least this time the NRA is out strongly against the AWB. Last time they kind of sat in the corner and watched. I think they were just interested in saving hunting firearms. This time they are trying to save the ARs and mags. It is an improvement.

18. JBnTX

No, the vast majority of Americans can legally possess a full automatic weapon. However, most don't for many reasons.

Ostracizing machine gun owners is no different than Jim Zumbo's comments about AR-15 and AK-47 owners.

If you're content to have machine gun owners hide in the shadows and let everyone think that full auto weapons are illegal just for the sake of convenience, will you be just as content when AR-15 owners have to do the same?

19. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

I hardly think anything stated in this thread rises to the "Tin foil hat" level. If you do then perhaps you haven't been here long enough.

20. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

The vast majority of Americans do not have the credentials to legally own those weapons. To own them you need an FFL, which most do not have.