close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NRA High Power Rifle Master

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fenwick223, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Fenwick223

Fenwick223

Rule 170.50 defines Master as: "The competitor is classified "master" or above in NRA, PPC, IDPA, IPSC/USPSA, Cowboy Action or similar shooting disciplines." After 3 years, I became classified as Master in High Power Rifle. My understanding of the rule would be that I am no longer an Amateur for GSSF competition because of my NRA classification. However, I can see where some would say that this classification is not a "similar shooting discipline." Based on my handgun shooting ability (and scores in GSSF competition) I can guarantee that being good in high power rifle competition is of absolutely no help with Glocks in GSSF competition. The question: In light of the rule, do I enter GSSF matches as a Master or Amateur?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

If I remember correctly the GSSF Rules say that"If you are classified as a Master Class shooter in any discipline" then you are a Master in GSSF. Might double check www.gssfonline.com to be sure my memory isn't failing.

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Do the right thing, CALL Chris, Scott, Dave or Julie for a GSSF answer. They'll give you a straight answer, we can just guess. :)

4. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I have never heard that rule applied to rifle disciplines -- only handgun competition disciplines. My guess is that you will be able to compete in Amateur.

5. Fireglock

But then again, just a simple phone call......

6. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

And Glock Talk members DON'T make the rules!! Right Fireglock!
    Dan:cool:

7. Fenwick223

Fenwick223

GSSF wasn't answering the phones so I guessed they were off for the holiday. I thought someone on this board would know the answer so I asked here first. I will call GSSF Monday morning and post their "official" reply.

8. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

GOOD Call!!! I hope they will allow you to shoot in AmCiv!

Dan:cool:

9. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I'm kinda surpised that Danny didn't weigh in on this issue...
    Is he OK and On-line?
    It'll be interesting to see what the answer is.I think...
    well, I think they may be trying to go for the pistol shooting sports where your score is based on shooting time and hits?
    Which kinda figures into GSSF;time + hits with a pistol.

10. Fireglock

As far as I know nothing is wrong with Danny. I don't think anybody disagrees that he should be able to shoot AmCiv. Trouble is GSSF rules aren't always what makes sense to us. ;)

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I've been working all weekend. This is an issue that GSSF alone can clarify.

12. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Thanks for replying, Danny....just a little nervous when I hadn't heard from you...
    "working"....yeah, I remember what that was...try to stay away from it!

13. Fenwick223

Fenwick223

I called GSSF today and spoke to Chris. He said that in all his years (14?) this question had never come up. His feeling was that the NRA classification should be in a handgun discipline but was not prepared to give a final answer without checking with other GSSF folks who wrote/write the rules. Chris said he would call me with the final decision. I will keep you all informed.

Now, do I win a prize for asking an original question? Afterall, I could have asked "Which is better, a 17 or 19?"

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Fennwick223;

Well done, I am glad you posed the question to the folks who are responsible for the final decisions. Thanks, and please do keep us posted. Some questions can be answered here but some must be elevated and this was one. Hope you get a good answer and looking forward to seeing you shooting AmCiv and work your way up.;c ;c ;c

15. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Ditto & best of luck. The couple things (not "quite" spelled out in the rules) I've referred to Chris or Scott or the other folks down at GSSF seem to come back based on "what is the right thing to do?" so I'm optimistic for him. Looks like we'll all learn something out of this one.

My bet says he can shoot AC though; even Olympic-style slowfire pistol is light-years different from the disciplines cited in the rules, so Rikki's on the right track IMO. Haven't seen a Hammerli in polymer, either. ;f

And, like golf, here's a competitor trying to do the right thing, unsolicited - pretty cool. ^c

16. Fenwick223

Fenwick223

Ok, it's official. I spoke to the folks at GSSF and was told that, since my NRA classification is not in a handgun discipline, I can compete as an amateur in GSSF matches. That is, until I win 3 pistols (like that's going to happen anytime soon). Thanks for everyone's input on this topic. I'm glad that I could ask/answer a question that hadn't been addressed before. Now it's time to practice, practice, practice, which was what I planned to do regardless of the my GSSF Competitor Division. Keep 'em in the A Zone!

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

See you at Waldorf next year. You should drive down to Richmond for the April GSSF match. I'll be there too.

18. Fireglock

19. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Don't sell yourself short! That practice will pay off. Don't do like me and forget to put your SSN on the entry at your first match ("I'll never win anything anyway, right?") and, lo & behold, end up winning some money and then there's a delay while GSSF awaits my return fax to them after the fact. ;J

Think positive and best of luck; GSSF is a blast! :cool: