close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NRA D-1 target height

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by trlcavscout, Aug 22, 2010.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

So after shooting my first match now I know what to practice at. I ordered a set of the knock down 8" plates (I cant afford a plate rack), and I have access to all kinds of cardboard so I am makeing up a few dozen tombstones now using the correct size and scoring. I am gonna hit the home depot and build some PVC target stands, but not sure how high the D-1 targets should be off the ground. Any help would be great I was gonna set the top of the target about 6' but wasnt sure. Any help would be appreciated!

These are the stands I am making.
    http://www.nwtf.org/tv_magazines/images/GITG_PVC_target_stand.pdf

2. Noponer

Noponer

Go to:

http://www.gssfonline.com/

& click on "Glock Report (the rules)" at the bottom right. Select 2010, Vol. 1 at the upper left corner.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

3. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I did, and it shows the distances but i couldnt find the height for the targets or dimensions for pepper poppers? I will keep looking though.

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

not 100% but a good method is to sit one target on the target stand or ground level and set another target on top of that one. use the first target as a gage to set the one you'll shoot at. all ranges vary the way and height so i wouldn't get too hung up on setting them an exact height. might even be to your advantage to set them to different heights to make for a more difficult transition.

5. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

That gives the target size (which I knew) but not height off the ground.

Ok just didnt know if their was a standard height, but that sounds like a good reference and like you said change it up. Thanks for the help guys!

6. Noponer

Noponer

I did not see a specific height in the Glock Report, either. It only says that the height & distance can be varied at the discretion of the rangemaster, depending on circumstances.

I have RO'ed many times, but never helped set up. - :embarassed:

7. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I've worked on setup crews when Scott sets target heights.

There is no "standard" height.

Different ranges have different berm heights, and the distance the bullet has to travel to the berm will affect how high the targets are off the ground.

What Scott tries to do, for the close targets, those within about 30 feeet of the shooting position, is to look from the shooting position to where the "floor" of the berm meets the back (impact) berm.

He then directs the target up or down until the bottom scoring ring is "sitting", so to speak, on the line where the floor of the berm meets the backstop. That way, most bullets will be impacting the bottom couple of feet of the impact berm, which is the best place for them.

You also have to keep an eye on the height of the target. Where the impact berms are low you have to avoid placing the target too "high" off the ground, where a shot high on the target will go over the berm.

As far as possible, Scott will try to eyeball the height of all the targets so that when you are swinging "across" them the score rings will be in the same plane, so you don't have to raise or lower the gun from target to target.

8. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

18"Wide X 30"Tall A=4" B=8" C=12" center of A is 15" from top of target.

9. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

I have a drawing of a popper with dimensions on it send me a email

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Noponer, we had DannyR sticky the Glock Report to the top of the forum.

11. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Email sent! Thanks.

12. cookselk

cookselk

DSC00126.JPG Two pieces of 48" lath to staple your target to. Two 6" pieces of 1 1/4" thin wall 160 psi pvc. Two 12" spikes/nails. Staple the target on the lath first, insert lath into pvc, place target upright in desired location, drop the spikes into the pvc and hammer them flush.

My range is rather clayey soil with some rock intermixed. Recently I was shooting in 30+mph winds and the spike/pvc held firm but I did have one piece of lath snap. I bet the whole set up for a single target stand set me back <$2.50. This is the set up when I practice GSSF, spikes and tubes for 6 target stands fit in a shoe box (OK...I wear size 15's:whistling:). The bulkiest part are the d-1 targets and lath to fit in my VW.

For the dimensions of the poppers, go to the USPSA.org website and click on their rule book. In the back of the rule book it will give exact dimensions.

13. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

That's a good idea, until I get my stands done I am still just pounding 1/2" rebar into the ground, slide my 1/2" pvc over it and clamp the targets inbewteen the pvc.