NRA annual meeting experience

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by shadow_dog, Apr 16, 2012.

1. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

My wife and I just got back from the NRA meeting last night. We were there for all 3 days. Had a great time even if it did rain some. St Louis is a neat place, well except for East St Louis. Anyway, here is my experience/thoughts...

Attendance was good. Nice to see so many members out for it. Checked out a few new products and saw several "celebs". At the Glock booth there was always a long line for Gunny. Lots of people checking out the new Gen 4s. The rep I spoke to said I was only the second person that had asked her about the FDE frame. She said they didn't have any there.

Springfield Armory was friendly and helpful as always. I got to check out and shoot the new XDs 45. It's a keeper IMO. SA and Ruger had a promotion going on with 3 area indoor ranges to try out their new products. I drove out to one of the ranges and shot the XDs and the Ruger 22/45 Lite. The deal was a target, 20 rds for $10 for each product. You could also shoot the takedown 10/22 and the SR22. I didn't shoot those however. The XDs shot and handled great for me. The only minor drawback was I had to adjust my thumb to avoid holding down the slide hold open lever. Recoil was very managible.The ammo was WWB 230 gr fmj. It shot POA for me at 12 yds. All rds were in the 10 ring on the B27 silhouette target except 3 were right on the edge of it. Not bad for me having never fired the XDs before and not really trying to get a perfect target scoring aim. Two mags were supplied, the standard flush fit and the sleeved extended mag. Both felt good, especially the sleeved mag. However, the "hanging pinky" didn't bother me. I shot 5 rds twice out of each mag. I will be getting one of these when they hit the shelves next month.

The Ruger definitely is Lite. I did experience 3 ftf jams with it. Each time I had to drop the mag and cycle it to clear the jam. I just didn't care for it. Accuracy was good though and it should be a hit due to the weight and threaded barrel. I will just stick with my Mk IIs though.

S&W's booth was busy as usual too. I checked out the new Shield auto. The width is good IMO. However, there was something about the overall size that didn't quite feel right to me. The trigger was definitely like the M&P. Even though I do own a full size M&P, I doubt I would get a Shield because I don't care for the way the trigger feels.

My wife had a bad experience as far as customer service goes from Hogue grips. She has a Para Tac Four and has wanted a set of wooden grips for it ever since she bought it. She found what she wanted at Hogues booth. After a long wait to get a rep to wait on her, she was ignored during her trying to purchase the grips. The rep was clowning around with the next door booth at first. Finally he came over and asked my wife what she wanted. Then she picked out the grips she wanted. When she went to pay for them he started clowning around with the next door booth again and ignored her. Needless to say we walked off without buying them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm glad you had an awesome time my friend. I hope to make it one of these years:supergrin:

3. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Let Hogue know what happened. I am sure they will make it right and would want to know this was going on.

4. ustate

ustate NRA Member

My parents live in St. Louis and I was really hoping to be able to make it out to see them and also attend the meetings with my dad. Turned out it wasn't possible this year but I sure hope to make it one of these years. Glad you had a good time there.