Now what, How to "stay"?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by bryan cc tx, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

Well I've trained my pup beagle how to walk on a leash, "No", and "Sit" (about 85%). How do you train a dog how to "Stay" and how to "Fetch" (on command, so when you throw the ball she stays until you give a command)?

2. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

patience and rewards.

i taught my dog how to stay with help.

i picked a spot and told her to sit. then i put my palm out and said "STAY!"

started walking away, and the minute she budged, my g/f would sit her right back down and say "NO!"

after a time or two, she got the point...i gradually lengthened the time period, and she was always rewarded when i yelled "come!" with a treat.

still working on it a bit...if she can see me, she'll stay all day, but the minute i go around a corner she has to come see whats up...

however, today i did have her sit and stay on my porch while i went out to the car for some stuff...

3. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

I did it similar to Ender, except mostly by myself. The key is to correct the dog immediately and return them to the original position. I show the palm of my hand to the dog (the stop signal) and say "Stay". Start them off in the sit position and give the stay command, but don't walk away. Just have them next to you and reward quickly when they don't move. Gradually move further away and increase the time that they have to "stay". You should also always use a consistent release word, like "ok", to release them from the command and don't give the reward until after you release them.

Like most obedience it is a matter of regular reinforcement to have the dog be consistent with the command. My lab has remained in the stay command for 10 minutes before while I leave the room or even the house. But if I slack off with the training for a few months he reverts back.:)