Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I wonder how many folks shooting these for the first time had a little flash burn on their supporting hand or wrist/forearm by grabbing the barrel where one would normally grab the forearm on a stand rifle? It seems to me that with something as hot as some of the .357 loads out there there could be some pain involved with a grip that was too close to the cylinder.

Anybody ever shoot one of these?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
And I thought my Glocks were ugly!!!!

·
Stop the steal!
17,991 Posts
Haven't shot one of those, but back in the 1980's, I was a very enthusiastic handgun hunter. I rigged up a forearm for a Smith 629 w/8" barrel for shooting in a similar fashion. If you shoot with long sleeves, or jacket, you can get away with it......but, the first time shooting bare armed will definitely leave the shooter with a different point of view!

hog

·
NRA member
866 Posts
Imagine how they were back in the cap and ball days when you could sometimes get multiple chambers to fire off simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
That thing really is ugly. So you place the thing against your shoulder and hold and fire with one hand?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't shot one of those, but back in the 1980's, I was a very enthusiastic handgun hunter. I rigged up a forearm for a Smith 629 w/8" barrel for shooting in a similar fashion. If you shoot with long sleeves, or jacket, you can get away with it......but, the first time shooting bare armed will definitely leave the shooter with a different point of view!

hog
One of those "I only had to experience it once" types of lessons huh? :rofl:

·
Registered
256 Posts
IIRC, the hook below the trigger guard was for the support hand to pull the stock into the arm/shoulder joint. Curved buttstocks weren't to be placed against the shoulder but in the junction of where the arm joins the shoulder. Of course if you were into pain you could mount the gun the normal way. I remember seeing where a guy lost a thumb supporting the gun by holding the cylinder with his off hand on a 44 mag model. I guess off hand was a poor choice of words.

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
What?
No rails?
Not gonna buy it.
I like classic, but this is just...too special for my taste :rofl:

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you gotta admit that it would make a special CCW gun. IWB might be tough but doable with the right holster.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Maybe this is why the cowboys wore those long leather gauntlets??? It wasn&#8217;t for protection from rope burns, it was so that they could hold the barrel and not get burned when they shot their revolver carbines!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The cylinder gas situation reminds me of shooting Handgun Metallic Silhouette with a .44 Mag. from the Creedmore position. I had a leather "shield" that I hung over my knee so that it protected my thigh and calf. That way the gas didn't cut my pant leg or burn my calf. Worked fine, and was very rewarding to watch the rams fall (and then hear the clang from the hit).<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL I have never owned a gun that I had to change my wardrobe for. Guess I will just stick with a nice level action :)

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Well you gotta admit that it would make a special CCW gun. IWB might be tough but doable with the right holster.
Just put the barrel in your pants and rise your leg to fire.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
One of those "I only had to experience it once" types of lessons huh? :rofl:
I did it once. Was shooting a 44 mag. Was using a rest and shooting at 100 yards. Diddnt even think about it and put my support hand way to far forward. Pulled the trigger, left little red and black marks over my hand and forearm and thought me a very good lesson. Wont do that again lol

·
Stop the steal!
17,991 Posts
Imagine how they were back in the cap and ball days when you could sometimes get multiple chambers to fire off simultaneously.
That was called a "chain fire" back then, and the usual method of preventing it was to pour wax over the front of the chamber......or, so I've read somewhere. I've never experienced a chain fire, but I'm not much of a black powder enthusiast......so, I guess the laws of averages say that sooner, or later it will happen to me. :shocked:

I would think a chain fire would mess up your day big time......especially if your body was in the way. The round balls are propelled out the chamber.......and into the frame. (picture that!) :whistling:

hog

I have a few black powder guns, but since my days as a "rendezvous" participant are long gone, they just don't get shot much anymore.......they are mainly for the curiosity of having them, show and tell.....and, a little "heritage", I suppose!

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Yeah you could deliver a devastating karate kick and a .357 rounds in one sweet cool Chuck Norris move :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

At the same time a huge blast will be blowing your fly off.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts

I wonder how many folks shooting these for the first time had a little flash burn on their supporting hand or wrist/forearm by grabbing the barrel where one would normally grab the forearm on a stand rifle? It seems to me that with something as hot as some of the .357 loads out there there could be some pain involved with a grip that was too close to the cylinder.

Anybody ever shoot one of these?
If you think this is bad, you should give a little thought to the cap & ball models that came first.

With a cap & ball revolver, if you don't cover each ball with some grease it's possible for a second cylinder to discharge by accident and shoot a bullet right along the outside of the barrel, and it would hit your hand on one of these long barrel things. It only happened to me once and I was shooting a normal size pistol, so my hand wasn't out there in danger, but with these things, you'd be asking for it to shoot them two-handed rifle style.

I think you were actually supposed to use the second hand as a brace under your trigger hand with these guns. Back then, most people would have known that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts