close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Now that there are aftermarket frames

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Feb 19, 2006.

1. njl

njl

This raises an interesting (if only theoretical for me) question. With aftermarket frames (Lone Wolf, all metal) and aftermarket slides (Lone Wolf, Caspian), and aftermarket barrles (too many to mention), and aftermarket versions of most of the small parts (triggers, strikers, mag releases, slide stops, slide locks, etc.) it's theoretically possible to build a "Glock-compatible" pistol using few if any actual Glock parts.

Would such a beast be legal in UL/Masters? When does a "modified" Glock cease to be a Glock?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

My personal opinion is you would have to use a Glock slide and reciever. I would imagine other than that it might be legal.

Why don't you send Glock and e-mail and ask them? That way you would get an answer of fact and not just opinions.

I would not like to see the GSSF U/L class to get into a equipment war, that has ruined competitions in the past. :cool:

3. mad scientist

mad scientist

The rules in the current anual state that an unlimeted gun must have a Glock manufactured frame and must shoot a caliber sold by Glock. all else is fair game.
    Johnnie

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The frame is the pistol. If not made by Glock, you can't use it in GSSF because it is not a Glock frame.

5. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Okay, I looked for the new frames, and all I found were the Mech Tech frames. Does anyone have a link? Thanks.

6. njl

njl

I checked gssfonline before posting this, and saw no mention of that. Where in the rules was that?

BTW...what is the "current" anual? I haven't gotten any Glock/GSSF stuff recently. My 2 lifetime cards (after upgrading early last year) were the last things I've gotten from GSSF.

7. njl

njl

I don't know if Lone Wolf has them on their site yet, but check CGR's Shot Show pictures.

8. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I have not looked at the annual or the rules lately BUT I did RO a match this weekend and the form that was posted at several locations as well as copies handed out to RO's mentioned that a GLOCK frame was required in Unlimited as well as in a caliber that was chambered by GLOCK.

I wonder if I can build up a G19 super gun in .380 ACP? :)

9. njl

njl

I wonder if it might have some trouble with the plates or poppers?

10. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

My custom unlimited gun for the "paper only" matches! :)

11. Carlitos

Carlitos

Well I have used a Caspian slide on my U/L gun so it certainly is approved for U/L; I don't see why it would not be since all the other classes are so restrictive as to mods. Why shouldn't U/L be a place for developing new ideas/technologies?

I am not sure about the frames though. Here is why:

-not one penny goes to Glock.

I had to buy my gun first as a completed Glock (they do not sell frames). So Glock made full profit on my gun.

If we allow in the aftermarket frames, Glock will have made NO profit. What incentive would there be for Glock to continue GSSF at all then?

12. njl

njl

I just figured I'd ask...because you know, sooner or later, someone's going to try it. Maybe they should explicitly state that in UL, at least one major component (slide or frame) must be Glock.

13. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

As was mentioned, it was posted clearly at each stage that a Glock frame was required and no shoulder stocks were allowed for Unlimited. If a frame is made by other than Glock it wouldn't be a Glock would it?

14. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

Clearly, Glock's incentive to continue to fund GSSF cannot be the profit of sales of guns to competitors. If it were, I don't think that they would have ever sponsored it to begin with.

I suspect that Glock is just in the competition sponsorship game for the good PR and warm fuzzies. Sure they can put their foot down on aftermarket frames in UL but why would they? If the aftermarket frames are successful it's just a huge PR win for Glock and not necessarily a profit drain. Why not let someone else pay for the R&D and marketing and then release an innovative patented frame of their own.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish that Glock would buy an ammunition company.

15. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Because the name of the game is GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) Not Caspian or anyone else. Let's not ruin a great shooting venue to satisfy an equipment war.

16. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Larry at CCF makes them under another LLC name (CCF Race Frames LLC, I think). I saw them at SHOT. I absolutely do not see the market potential for this.

17. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

+1

Rules in section 170.xx clearly name the approved Glock models (G17, G19, etc.) for use in each division. Even Master Unlimited requires "...a Glock firearm that has aftermarket components..."

18. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

"Why shouldn't U/L be a place for developing new ideas/technologies?"

I agree.

I remember when "redots" were considered a fad or a crutch-then the NRA OK'ed them in their BullsEye pistol competitions. Now you got 8-10 different Mfgs of them- and darned near every service rifle in use in the mid-east is equipped with a dot sighting system of sometype.

I'd like to see lasers allowed in GSSF- or are they already?
    I'd like to see "low light" GSSF- put those nitesights to the real test.

We have an opportunity to be on the cutting edge of product developement- just by opening up 1 of the divisions within GSSF...
    but we don't wanna do it because it might "cheapen" our fun?

For YEARS the competitive shooter has been the 1st to introduce or try new concepts and ideas- look at the "wildcat" ctg developement.

Change the "system" OMG!!!! Who knows- 10 years from now some cop in a dark alley or some pimply faced kid under a Kelvar Helmet in the next "sandbox" might bet his life on your R&D.

19. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Opening up Unlimited to aftermarket frames would be like opening it to 1911's Sigs, HK's, etc.. Let IDPA and IPSC open their doors to the aftermarket frames and let GSSF, funded by Glock, continue to be Glock pistols only.

And yes, lasers are allowed in Unlimited but nobody chooses to use them due to their poor performance in sunlight.

20. gary newport

gary newport

Is a pistol with a steel or aluminum frame a "new" idea or technology...or a return to the old way of doing things? ;f

Metal frames for Glocks makes NO sense to me. Evidently, several handgun manufacturers aren't rushing to embrace the "new" concept of making pistols heavier than necessary either; consider the S&W M&P and the new Kimber "Glock-alike" for example. It seems they have polymer frames! ;P