close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Now my new Gen 4 G19 is acting up

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Valdrin, Apr 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Valdrin

Valdrin

I purchased a new 4th generation G19 a few weeks ago. I took it to the range and put about 200 rounds of WWB 115gr and 147gr hollow points through it with no failures and just a couple brass landing on my head (which did not bother me a bit).

On my 2nd trip to the range I shot: 100 rounds Remington UMC 115gr, 100 rounds of Federal Champion 115gr, and another box of 50 WWB 115gr. Three of the Remington casings hit me in the face, which was a little annoying, but it shot flawlessly (so I decided not to use anymore Remington UMC).

On my latest trip to the range I shot 50 rounds of WWB 115gr, and 50 rounds of Winchester NATO 124gr -- I would have shot more but there was too much brass hitting my face (and the brass 2 of the NATO 124gr rounds shot nearly straight back at my right eye and hit the glasses quite hard). About 5% of the shots were launching brass at my head.

As you can guess I am not happy with the situation -- I love the way that the G19 shoots and feels in my hand, but brass to the face is not fun.

It was test fire was in January 2012. It has the 034 recoil spring and the 30274 ejector. What would people suggest I do at this point to correct the problem?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Pn2

Pn2

This is going to be good......

I had exact opposite problem you are having, the NATO 124 gr was flawless and the Federal, WWB and the UMC were the bad loads for me.

So this proves many people wrong who say that G19 gen 4 is made for the high power ammo thats why it behaves this way with crappy ammo.

I am changing my extractor soon, I am putting in a Lone wolf and will see if there is any difference.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Have someone make a video of you shooting your Glock and post it. That way we can analyze your technique and offer advice.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I recently got the 0-3-4 spring and brass to the head is slightly worse than with the original spring. I'm still waiting on a 30274 ejector.

Brass to the head is rare (maybe 2-3 out of 200 rounds) but I'm getting tired of it.

5. Valdrin

Valdrin

The last time I went it was the WWB and the NATO that was slinging brass at my head. I'm just wondering why things were good to start with, but seem to be deteriorating as time goes by.

6. Valdrin

Valdrin

Not sure how that would help fix a mechanical problem with the gun, but I appreciate the the time it took you to post. (BTW, I've been shooting glocks for several years.)

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

it would help because of all the things that go wrong

almost all can be caused by incorrect technique.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Did you clean the gun thoroughly between the range trips?

I think oiling the slide rails (well, the groove in the slide and the rails on the frame) is so important on a new gun. Not to the point where oil is dripping everywhere, but I hold the slide vertically (nose down) and put a drop in the groove near the back and midway down, repeated on other side.

Reassemble gun and rack the slide multiple times. Then I'll take it apart and wipe off any excess. Repeat 2-3 times (not repeat the oiling part, just the assembly, racking, then disassembly to insure no dripping excess).

Glocks are meant to be run "dry", but until the slide breaks in, there's a lot of friction there.

My G17 with 35,000 rounds is WAY smoother (when racking the slide) than my newer G34 is. That's because the interface between rails/slide has really mated and smoothed out. You can literally feel the difference.

There *is* such a thing as breaking a new gun in. A little oil, especially there, is so important.

9. Valdrin

Valdrin

No I did not. I usually clean my carry gun (G26) after every trip to the range, but the ones I'm just using to hit targets I usually clean after every 2-3 trips. I'm in the process of cleaning them all now, so when I hit the range in a day or two I will try shooting everything through it again and see if that fixed the problem.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I'd suggest a Lone Wolf-brand extractor. The factory extractor probably doesn't move freely enough.

I fixed the ejection problem in my Gen3 G27 with the 28926(.40SW) ejector and one of the old investment cast extractors, sadly those aren't made anymore.

11. Radian

Radian

so 5% of 50 is how many pieces of brass (typo)? And from that we have a mechanical failure?

I second the video. The last one someone posted showed his wife's gun jamming. Unsupported grip AND she swept the camera and the entire firing line.

Not to be taken the wrong way but just because you have been something for several years does not mean you are doing it correctly.

I vote do the same thing I did in 94 when my G2 did this, ignore it and watch the front sight.

12. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

:animlol:

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

I would not knock DannyR's suggestions.
    He EASILY has over 50k rounds fired from Glocks....He knows his stuff!

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Sounds good.
    Make sure to oil the slide grooves and frame rails fairly thoroughly as I described. I'll be curious if you find any differences.

17. ken grant

ken grant

Update on my 19 Gen.3--- complete story in above sticky

Update on my G19 Gen.3(12/09)
    It had a few crazy ejections. In my face,on top of my head,left,over my head and foward. Not many but enough to cause me to experiment.
    Several types of ammo from expensive to the cheaper stuff including Tula and including my reloads( 115 FMJ, 4.0 Clays and Win. Primers)

At first I polished the extractor as others have done and my ejections got much worse and many more of them.
    Next I removed a smaLL amount from the step and still the same.
    Now wasted a lot of ammo money and decided to do all future tries with the above reloads.

Found a Gen.4 trigger housing with a 30274 ejector and installed the ejector on my 19.
    Ejections got much better but still not right.
    Changed extractor to a non-polished one and that was the cure.
    Fired 200 rds. Sunday and nothing to the head or face and only a couple over my head.
    Today I shot another 200 and had the same results as Sunday.
    For now I will consider my 19 cured. All of this was with the above reloads.

Most all my brass was about 3 ft. right rear

Before any of the GLOCK SHOOTING PROS jump in to place blame on grip,ammo,stance,limp wrist,moon phase and etc.
    This 19 is one of 7 Glocks I own and shoot. It is the only one to act like this.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. faawrenchbndr

Thought this was a Gen 4 thread,.........:dunno:

19. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

So, if you own seven Steinways that means you're ready to play at Carnegie Hall?

:supergrin:

20. faawrenchbndr

:popcorn: