GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever find an old photo of a place, and then try to go there, to compare? My last trip to France I did that, a trip to Le Mayet du Montagne, small village east of Vichy...looked up some old photos of the place, I think they're from 1906. Then when I was there for a meeting, I hit the streets and found the same places, even the same statue standing there...two World Wars and it was still there...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better comparisons, together

What haunts me is the people...I want to know who they were, how they lived...like ghosts, they're gone from the newer pictures, passed into history like so many others...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
I had an odd experience related to this.

One of the pictures I always remembered growing up was my Dad, uncle and 2-3 others posing under a big plastic goose after a fishing trip. He couldn't remember a single detail about it.

Fast forward 50 years and I just finished a fishing trip with some buddies in Canada. We were getting ready to leave the restaurant we randomly stopped at when one of the guys suggested we take a picture by that "big plastic goose over there".

We took the picture and when I got home the comparison was chilling. Same number of guys, same goose, same signs behind it, same hotel name in picture, same month.

I was even in the same spot my Dad was in the picture. Mind blown.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
11,308 Posts

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
You and me both brother.

I can't tell you the strange chill that went through me as I looked at the pictures.

·
Know-It-All
2,302 Posts
After my father passed I took on the job of scanning all the slides ho took when he was in the Navy in Britain and the Mediterranean during the early '50s and I looked up a lot of the locations on Google Earth just to see what they looked like now. It really gives an awareness of history to see what has changed and what remains the same.

·
Registered
795 Posts
God I love stuff like this!

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,471 Posts
Ever find an old photo of a place, and then try to go there, to compare? My last trip to France I did that, a trip to Le Mayet du Montagne, small village east of Vichy...looked up some old photos of the place, I think they're from 1906. Then when I was there for a meeting, I hit the streets and found the same places, even the same statue standing there...two World Wars and it was still there...
Charleston is like that. It never changes.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Ever find an old photo of a place, and then try to go there, to compare?
What you've done is great, and better than whatever I'm doing, but... the pictures don't match up.

I'm talking just about the visual, as if a piece of puzzle, they don't look like the same interchangeable piece. Is it possible to edit/crop the photos, so the alignment is closer to the originals? Or would you also have had to have taken the photos from a different spot/elevation/distance/focal ?

The "le mayet 1906" photo you took, in your OP, seems to be the best, from my eye. That comparison looks fabulous, but your church needs to be moved to the right a little.

Still, you get more credit than anything I've ever done in this type of endeavor, because I've never tried to do it. But when I look at these (and examples others have done) my eye always gets stuck when they are not positioned the same. Must be a mental problem I have :)

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you've done is great, and better than whatever I'm doing, but... the pictures don't match up.

I'm talking just about the visual, as if a piece of puzzle, they don't look like the same interchangeable piece. Is it possible to edit/crop the photos, so the alignment is closer to the originals? Or would you also have had to have taken the photos from a different spot/elevation/distance/focal ?

The "le mayet 1906" photo you took, in your OP, seems to be the best, from my eye. That comparison looks fabulous, but your church needs to be moved to the right a little.

Still, you get more credit than anything I've ever done in this type of endeavor, because I've never tried to do it. But when I look at these (examples others have done) my eye always gets stuck when they are not positioned the same. Must be a mental problem I have :)
Did the best I could to line up the shots while I was there. Wasn't going for Trimble-gps-millimeter accuracy.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Did the best I could to line up the shots while I was there. Wasn't going for Trimble-gps-millimeter accuracy.
It is interesting how stuff survives. Ever see 3 sets of an image, where 1 is before war, 2 is near total damage, then 3 is reconstructed? Or more commonly just 2 images (where there might not be a before war pic), but the 1st is of damage, then the 2nd is reconstructed building looking perfect again.

I wonder how many buildings escaped war damage, or how many were severely damaged then rebuilt.

And some places with damage from both WWI and WWII.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had an odd experience related to this.

One of the pictures I always remembered growing up was my Dad, uncle and 2-3 others posing under a big plastic goose after a fishing trip. He couldn't remember a single detail about it.

Fast forward 50 years and I just finished a fishing trip with some buddies in Canada. We were getting ready to leave the restaurant we randomly stopped at when one of the guys suggested we take a picture by that "big plastic goose over there".

We took the picture and when I got home the comparison was chilling. Same number of guys, same goose, same signs behind it, same hotel name in picture, same month.

I was even in the same spot my Dad was in the picture. Mind blown.
Was that the goose at Wawa, Ontario?

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Yes it was. It's not plastic actually but we didn't notice that until we read the sign.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Then we did not have to have a zillion dollars work of Chinese Junk to be happy long ago. A kid with pocket knife, and some injanuity could be very entertained for ever.

Today kids want too much junk, electronics, just to be happy. Soon novelty wears off, or new game become available for another 75-125 bucks. Again short lived happiness again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts