NOVESKE Chainsaw Lowers Gen II

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Mayhem like Me, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

If you are looking for them.
    Jimsgunshopnc

would be the place.

John has a long mustache...

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil

Still too expensive for a stripped lower for me.

3. cyphertext

cyphertext

A stripped blem lower at that!

4. wct097

wct097

Most of us should know this, but the primary reason that lower is more expensive is the fact that it's a one-off forging. Logic would dictate that a custom forging will result in products that are much more expensive than a standard forging. With that in mind, it's hard to compare the cost to a standard lower.

I paid $275 (pre-panic) for a non-blem Noveske Gen2 lower. I actually wanted a blem, but couldn't find any in stock. If I didn't already have two Form 1 pending PSA blems partially assembled in my gun safe, I'd probably buy a "chainsaw" lower for a cool looking Cerakote build.

Either way, I think the Noveske Gen2 FFLs look pretty cool. Very happy with my build. Probably not worth the money if you're pinching pennies or are trying to justify the cost in terms of functionality, but if you like the look and the rollmark, it's not a huge premium in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil

Didn't say it's not a great lower, just that it's too expensive for what it is for me.

6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

After having used both I will tell you the Mega billet receivers are superior to the Noveske Gen II. The Mega upper is also superior to the VLTOR upper that Noveske uses and rebrands. The Mega upper is thicker, available in more configurations and doesn't have a mult-part brass deflector/forward assist that the VLTOR does.

The Mega lower is $199 for a first quality part...$30 lower than a Noveske blem.

I've used all the above parts a couple of times on several builds.

Mega's specs, material and build quality are superb

7. Mayhem like Me

But you won't get the cool factor. I thought the MUR upper might be reasonable boy was I wrong. Just had another NSR laying around for a build looks like I'm going to have to drill another pin hole

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

8. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Both the Mega forged and billet uppers are pre-drilled for the NSR rail pin! Of course that makes them un-cool because you can't stamp M4 there....:yawn:

9. Mayhem like Me

Hmmm the mega upper is more expensive Than the MUR non NOVESKE.

And the Mega is without the door and FA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I think I just paid $15 for the upper parts kit which includes the dust cover and FA. It was probably a DPMS part...which means your FA will fail and your dust cover will fall off. :)

But it works for now. Not having to drill that stupid pin hole is worth $15

11. 03scgt

03scgt

Its nice they sell this stuff separately because not everyone can afford to drop 2300$ at once on a complete rifle.I think they are actually the only high end company that still sells everything separately to put together a complete rifle.

Kac doesn't
    Dd doesn't
    Larue doesn't

I have one of these lowers sitting In the safe with a vltor upper waiting to get built. Eventually I'll get around to doing something with it

12. wct097

wct097

That's one of several reasons I built my SBR on a Form 1. The other biggie was the ~8 month lead time on a factory SBR at the time.

13. 03scgt

03scgt

I did the same thing

I wanted an mk18 but not many places get them very often.I'm about 30 days away from an approval according to current times on a form 1.I hate to say it but just in the parts I already have minus a rail and bcg and including the 200$ stamp I'm over what a factory SBR costs lol

It was a lot easier to swallow spending it a little at a time than dropping another 2k for an AR the second time this year.

I'm glad I'm not married,very few women would understand why I'd spend 250$ on a hunk of stripped metal :rofl:

14. Andy123

Andy123

A person can have a one-off casting, or a one-off billet. However, a one-off forging is very unlikely.

15. wct097

wct097

My point is that the tooling costs for a non-standard lower will result in more expense than a standard lower, hence the Noveske Gen II FFL is far more expensive than standard forged lowers.

16. Andy123

Andy123

Gun grabbers love to misuse terminology. For firearms owners I think it is important to use gun related technology correctly.

As to your statement above, whether its true or not depends upon the type of tooling used.

Far more likely difference is cost is the distribution of overhead cost per receiver.

17. wct097

wct097

That's my point. The overhead built into the price for the non-standard receivers is going to be much higher than standard receivers.

My point being that we should understand the reasons behind the higher price to be more than just the rollmark.

18. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

I thought Gen II were machined 7075-t6. They look the same as gen III with flared magwell and integral triggerguard but don't like gen 3 pmags and surefires. Noveske's blems are most everyone else's primo product.

19. wct097

wct097

Didn't they refer to the Gen II as a Flared Forged Lower? Sounds like the Gen III is billet.

20. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

My Gen II Chainsaw lower is forged. It's a very nice lower, but does not fit Gen3 PMags without slight modification to the mag. It does not fit SureFire mags at all (fine with me).