close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Novak vs. Custom Glock Racing Trigger jobs?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 10kman, Aug 28, 2002.

1. 10kman

10kman

Has anyone had any experience with the Novak trigger job (competition flavor), and if so, how would you say it compares to a trigger job from Custom Glock Racing? Or, if you can't compare, how is the trigger job in general?

It looks pretty cool, and is 15 bucks cheaper, and am curious if you get less/more with the price.....

Thanks a lot,

10kman

http://www.handgunneroutlet.net/whatsnew/glkprotrgcomp.htm has the Novak system in there.....

2. 10kman

10kman

3. seassa

seassa

I had a Novack competition trigger in my glock 34. Was one of the worst things I ever did to my perfectly functioning Glock!

The trigger job is as advertised. The pull was less than 3 pounds, the overtravel was almost zero, and the re-set was almost zero. Felt really nice when dry firing.

However, it was my experience that in competition because of the no overtravel or reset room ,I often did not get the trigger to reset while shooting quick strings. This resulted in my pulling the trigger again, until it reset, and then reacuiring the front sight and sight picutre...a very slow process when seconds matter. I know that the trigger overtravel and reset are adjustable, but even with essentially maxing them out, I could not get the gun to be 100% reliable with factory ammo. So, I ended up selling the gun.

Now I shoot a G35, with a 3.5 connector, and a low poundage striker spring. Honestly, it is every bit as fast and accurate as my G34 was with the competition trigger job. I will admit, that if you put them side by side, everyone would say the G34 trigger was better, but in competiton, there was no appreciable differenace, other than my G35 goes bang every time, while my G34 did not.

PS, this is not a slam of the trigger job, it is as advertised, but for my money, not worth the $200 to have it done.

Best Wishes.

4. vluc

vluc

I don't have one of either, but I have shot several handguns with Novak's trigger packages - Glock, SIG and Beretta.

I like them.

The Glock competition I shot was a 17 used in USPSA...little over 1.5 pull. Planning to have my 34 done by him.

5. DRG

DRG Extractor

I have shoot seassa 's g 34 and it was as he states

yummy at first.... but wears off quickly when the trigger does not reset

for what it's worth ;f

6. vluc

vluc

LOL! That's what I like about the forums, chances to get different opinions.

Some swear by TJ in Texas, some swear at him. Some love gunplumber, some loathe him, and TJ in California gets the same...as do Dane and Tim and Matt and...

Like pistols, it all comes down to shooters preference.

7. Tom Novak

Tom Novak

I have did quite a few of these trigger jobs and only had 2 people that said they had problems(which could of been the loctite on the adjustment screws losened up and the adjustment changed or the shooter could not learn how use the new setup.the reset is light and you have to let the trigger out to reset.seassa could not learn to shoot it,and the offer to change the setup on the pistol to suit his needs was made,but he declined.My glock trigger job is the best out
    there,but you cant seem to please everyone. I stand 100% behind any of my work

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You mean in your opinion your trigger job is the best out there?

9. seassa

seassa

You know, I thought I was nice in my last post.:(

For further reference, I sent my gun into Tom with a friend of mine. Both were G34 which we used in IDPA. I say we "used" because he had difficulty with his reset as well, so he has removed the custom parts and reverted his G34 to stock, plus a 3.5 and low poundage striker spring.

So I guess we have two people who are not happy with the end result, even though it was as advertised.

Again, 10kMan, you may love it, but I thought it was not worth the $200 invested. Glad I did it, now I am not looking for any "custom" trigger work on a gun that works perfectly!

10. 10kman

10kman

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've scoured the web for tweaks that you can do to the Glock triggers yourself, and have decided to try these...

Polishing some different areas than I did not before
    I already have a 3.5# connector
    Adding a lower power firing pin spring
    Adding titanium Firing Pin Safety plunger, not for the weight reason, but because it's rounded, and it saves me the work and missing skin of trying to grind the stock one down

We'll see how that goes. My goal is to not have to deal with primers not firing off, etc. It is a range/comp only gun, but I still don't want to be annoyed while shooting, that's what my job is for....:)

-10kman

11. Quack

Quack Rent this space

in addition to what you have listed, i also used the Ti firing pin and cutting a coil or 2 off the trigger spring. you could but an extra power trigger spring though.

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

I saw Matt (CGR) at Area 5 shoot the tail off everybody in production class, myself included. I can attest that HIS trigger setup DOES go bang every time.
    I'm not a customer, but if I didn't do my own gun, based on what I saw there, I'd be using one of his competition setups.
    My "homebrew" trigger breaks @ 2 1/4#, so I'm not far off. Over 3000 rds in competition & practice, no misfires or failure to reset yet.

uncle albert

13. 21 shooter

21 shooter

If you see fireglock at a match, try the trigger on his UL pistol. And he did it himself.

14. 10kman

10kman

Uncle Albert,

What did you do to your trigger to get such results? I listed some ideas that I was going to toy with in an above post, did you do anything in addition to those?

Keep in mind the gun must fire each time, having primers not fire is annoying, etc.

Thanks a lot for any info...

-10kman

15. VN350X10

VN350X10

10K,
    Most of my mods follow the Dale Rhea procedures as shown in various articles. "Front Sight", the USPSA members magazine ran a 2 part article on them a few months ago.
    My major deveiation was to not lighten the striker, & I fitted a safety plunger that I contured to duplicate the one that "Lightning Strike" sells. The lighter part that's sold by L.S. only has the advantage of the surface lubricity of the Ti-Nitride plating, as the lessened weight here is really of no importance.
    All that plus REALLY fussy checking for fit & clearances.
    My lube is "Blue Slip II" which is now off the market. It was made for bicycle racing & has really good "cling" to metal. Maybe you can find some at a bike shop if you get lucky. It was made by Cougar Specialties, Crystal Lake IL.

good luck

uncle albert

16. Quack

Quack Rent this space

17. VN350X10

VN350X10

Thanks Quack,
    I couldn't remember the link to the article on Dale's gun(s).

uncle albert

18. Grandfather Glock

Grandfather Glock Member Emeritus

The reduced power striker spring coupled with the factory 5# connector yields a crisp pull. The 3.5# is a bit mushy for my taste. You can also change the take up and reset travel with small pieces of delrin in the frame and trigger group housing, as has been described in the forum.

One thing that I love about the Glock is that parts are CHEAP so you have the opportunity to be creative.

19. whizz

whizz

IMHO,the cheapest way to make a Glock trigger work is to strengthen your hands and fingers, get a firm grip with your supporting hand and squeeze the trigger rapidly. I find the stock trigger on my G35 very pleasing to use. The only internal job on it is mirror polishing of all parts that moves in contact. If you need a trigger like a perfectly tuned 1911 or other single action handgun get something else than a Glock.

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

Really it's kind of unfair to compare a 1911 trigger with that of a Glock.
    After all, when the 1911 was only 25 years old, they didn't have a trigger worth squat! It wasn't untill the early 1950's that anybody did the necessary work on the Gov't model to turn it into a competition gun. Prior to that, revolvers were the "hot setup"
    By the time Glocks have been around that long,what kind of trigger development will they have?

FWIW, my 1911's both break at about the same as my G34 USPSA gun, all are right around 2 1/4#, It's just a different feeling type of break, thats all.

uncle albert