close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Notebook HDD died. How to recover OS and divers?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by 10 Ring Tao, Feb 23, 2007.

1. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Well, looks like the hard drive in my IBM thinkpad finally died. Any suggestions on getting a good replacement?

I've always started at pricewatch for parts, but the listings there make me leary. Lots of refurbs and what seem to be used drives.

Places to avoid?
    Good notebook HD brands?
    Anything special I need to know about IBM drives?

And of course, I don't have the recovery disk. It actually didn't come with one, because this was an as is purchase.

That means when I get a new drive, I won't have an OS to put on it, and I won't have all the special IBM software and drivers to run the hardware that is on the notebook.

On the bottom of the comp is a product key for the install of XP I had. Is there somewhere I can download an XP pro install and register it with my serial/product key?

Any other help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

2. Glocker424

Glocker424

The best 2 brands of hard drives in order as follows.

1. Seagate
    2. Western Digital

If your HD died you might be able to recover the data but I highly doubt it. And the HD has to be taken to a special shop where they can "attempt" do get your data back. But If I were you I'd scratch trying to get your HD's data fixed and just go with the new HD.

3. malkore

malkore

You also cannot just use a standard XP disc with an OEM license. Sometimes they are keyed funny and will ONLY work when its the OEM XP installation, from IBM.

I'd look on eBay for one of those discs, or see about ordering a copy from the company.

Dell charges $26 for the discs.

4. lens

lens

Call IBM Tech Supt and explain the problem. I'm certain they will either ship you the recovery disk for free or short change. Drivers can be DL'd from IBM's website too.

But you need an OEM OS CD in order to do the install using the PK on the bottom of the machine, so that is your first hurdle. Most such SW sold on eBay is counterfeit/bootleg, so that would NOT be my first choice . . . try the mfr.

I once bought an IBM desktop "as is" (red tag at CompUSA), one phone call to IBM and I had a large carton full of everything that was missing and a replacement HDD (red tag due to new with defective HDD) including speakers, mouse, kbd, all software.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Ditto+ :thumbsup: :supergrin: :goodpost: :number1:

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

/agree

7. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So I should be able to call up Lenovo and get restore discs? Its now lenovo for the thinkpads:

http://www.ibm.com/products/finder/us/finders?pg=ddfinder

I knew it was dying from the clicking noises and occasional failures/lockups, so I backed up the stuff I wanted to save to a thumb drive. Good thing too, the drive finally crapped out completely later that day.

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yes, you can do this; I've done it probably 6 or 7 times. usually, the key gets rejected, and you have 30 days to call a phone number and get an activation code.

the man or woman on the other end of the phone is always from india, and sometimes i've been on hold for half an hour, but it's never failed for me.

The microsoft guy might ask where you bought your computer, why you're reinstalling, etc. just tell him the truth. they haven't been asking this lately, though.