Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NRA Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying my SIL a notebook that will be used more on the road than at home. Not easy traveling but a car/truck use computer. He's a klutz and I'd like to get a tough durable notebook. Is one brand more "hearty" the the others? I'd like to stay around (under) a grand.:dunno:
Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
For the ultimate I'd look at the panasonic toughbook series (there's multiple durability "levels" among the series) and/or possibly a Lenovo laptop. I know the IBMs in the past have always been good/rugged laptops.

Here is someone's semi "review" of those series: http://thedigitalkitty.blogspot.com/2008/04/when-buying-laptop-make-sure-to-look.html

You'll probably pay a premium for those brands but they'll be good laptops.

That said, I've been more than pleased with my Dell LATITUDE laptop that I've had for at least 3 years now. It's a D610 and I've used it my last two years of undergrad and now through my 1st year of med school and I haven't had a single issue with it and I tend to be a little rough on stuff. I haven't dropped it or anything like that but it pretty much travels around with me where ever I go and gets used a lot every day. So it's lasted in and out of backpacks, being used in basically any type of location, in the car, outside, etc...

Just my ancedotal evidence but if you are going to look at Dell then look at the Latitude series since they're the business line and I think a little more well built than the Inspiron ones.

·
Señor Member
4,413 Posts
Ditto on the Toughbook. DoD is partial to 'em and Pvt. Snuffy has to work overtime to break 'em.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Panasonic toughbooks is the standard but you will pay a premium..

·
Sheriffs a near
7,135 Posts
He, this is cool.

Toughbooks in popular media

* Recently on the Five TV program "The Gadget Show", the Toughbook was tested on numerous levels, while being compared to a Toshiba of a similar specification, kept in a secure laptop bag. These tests included the laptops being used as tennis rackets, dunked in a water tank and being blown up by "the equivalent to two sticks of dynamite" and "20 litres of fuel". After the latter experiment the Toshiba was destroyed, but the Toughbook continued to work

http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=401&featureid=233&pageid=-1&show=s5e7&section=Consumer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts