Glock 21 Not to accurate!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rageous, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rageous

Rageous

Hello all,
    This is my first time to post here. Well I just bought a G21 (I also have a G17, 19,& 23) and at 25 yards my groupings (and I use the word "grouping" loosely) are high and left and the group is about 14 inches across. This group that I get from the G21 is twice the size of any other pistol I have shot at the same range, so I don't think it is me. But if it is the pistol, then what might be causing this poor grouping?
    I have fired around 500 rounds through it.
    Thank you for your help with this issue.
    Mike

2. 40frank

40frank

The Glock 21 is an extremely accurate handgun. It’s hard to diagnose shooting issues over the internet but my guess is your grip, especially your support hand. You may be also anticipating recoil a little as well. Your best bet is to have someone watch you shoot. Good luck.

3. Hank Was Right

Hank Was Right

Is the 21 gen 3 or 4? What gen are your other Glocks? If it's a gen3, is it an SF?

4. Rageous

Rageous

All though I bought it new in JAN I believe the G21 is a GEN 1 (it is not marked with anything like my other Glocks), My 17,19 and 23 are all GEN 4s

5. Rageous

Rageous

I was thinking it was my grip or trigger finger placement and played with that but really had no significant results. I was shooting the G21 along side a Springfield 1911 RO and a Ruger SR1911, same ammo much tighter groups (at half the size of the G21) with the 1911s. Thank you all for your replies.

6. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

7. Sandaholic

Sandaholic

I think you'd know if you bought a new old stock Gen 1 as you would have paid through the nose for it.

As to your shooting I say its you. The G21 is plenty accurate at 25 yards. Are you shooting off a bench or what?

tglahn17 likes this.
  8. sig357fan

sig357fan

first I would inspect the weapon, make sure everything is as it should be.

then I would check the trigger pull weight for consistency.

if no issues are found with the above inspection, then get a couple different brand/types of ammo and shoot from a bench rest.

if your groups from the bench are good, then I would take a close look at my grip, trigger finger placement, stance, etc, and why I can shoot my other Glocks better.

the idea of the above is to eliminate any issues with the weapon, if no issues are found then its "the nut behind the butt plate" that needs tightening up.

Rageous likes this.
  9. vetteman

vetteman NRA Member

I would take it apart and check all the internal components including the locking block and pins. Clean the barrel thoroughly and check the rifling. Check if there is more play than there should be in the slide to frame fit and the barrel to slide fit. Also check the sight alignment. You are looking for anything abnormal. If everything looks good and it is still not shooting accurate try replacing the recoil spring and try different types of ammo and try varying your grip, changing one variable at a time.

pzlehr and Rageous like this.
  10. vetteman

vetteman NRA Member

Another thing you can try, have another experienced shooter shoot it and see if it produces the same results.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The grip of your G21 may be too big for your hand. The Large frame Gen3SF and the Gen4 with the smallest backstraps have smaller grips and the 17,19 and 23 all have smaller frames especially the Gen 4's.

The way to find out if it's the gun or the grip is to have a couple of other people fire the gun, and preferable someon who is a good shot who is used to shooting larger frame Glocks. Otherwise you might need to take the gun to a knowledgeable gunsmith who knows Glocks.

I bought a G20C years ago an dsoon afterward I got to handle a G20SF an dI like how it felt so much better than the regular G20 that I sold the G20C and bought an SF.

The G20 is the 10mm and is the same frame size as a G21. I shot the G20SF better than the regular G20 although it wasn't a difference of a 4 inch group vs a 14 inch group. However the difference betweeb the grip size between 17,19 and 23 GEN 4s and the Gen 1-3's is greater than the difference between a Gen3 G20 or 21 and the SF versions.

12. jonb32248

jonb32248

Is the frame cracked? Around the locking block.

13. vba

vba

Did Glock make a Gen1 21??

Anyway, I would take the pistol apart and check for cracks in the slide or frame. How does the breech block or locking lug look?

Does the barrel have rifling or is it worn or fouled with jacket material/lead.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  14. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

Mor
    More than likely you have a gen 3

DDIEM1717 and Glock Commander like this.
  15. glockboy38

glockboy38

Check if your slide lock is backward.

16. XDGunner

XDGunner

No such thing. G21's were Gen2.

LS357, DDIEM1717 and Rageous like this.
  17. Rageous

Rageous

When I hover over Thread Tools all I get is "Print" ? Damn spelling natzies...

18. Boogieman

Boogieman

Next time you're at the range ask someone else that looks like they know what they are doing to give it a try. It's strange because by some accounts the G21 is the most accurate model Glock has ever made.

porschedog and tglahn17 like this.
  19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It bothered me to see that TOO, but I didn't want TO say anything.

To: is used with infinitive verbs such as I want to eat the whole cake. Or is a preposition such as Give it to me.

Too: is used to mean in excess of or overly such as, It's too much, it's not too accurate, or is used to mean also such as I want some too.

Two: People don't usually get this one mixed up.

DavidEnt, LS357, khfrench and 2 others like this.
  20. Hank Was Right

Hank Was Right

No such thing as a gen1 G21. It's either gen2 or gen3, since it doesn't say gen 4 on the slide. If it has finger grooves it's a gen3. Either way the frame and specifically the grip is larger in diameter that the Glocks you listed that I presume you are used to shooting. Either the web of your hand or your trigger finger is indexing differently. I believe it is most likely that you'll just have to get get familiar with the gun. The only way to do that is by live fire and dry fire. It never hurts to get another shooter to confirm the gun is right, but I'd be surprised if it's not. Good luck with it.