Not sure what to think about this....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

For me, politics isn't everything in life. However, I do consider it important, and I support MY President, Donald Trump. And I'm firm on my beliefs in the matter.

Tonight, I found out that my old Scoutmaster, Dennis, is VERY anti-Trump. I really looked up to him when I was a young man; he was like a father figure to me in many respects. I'm slightly put-out, and not a bit surprised too. He is a Vietnam veteran (Marines), and he always struck me as a God-fearing Christian man, and that's what I believed. In many ways, he still appears to be a Conservative, but man....he REALLY doesn't like Trump.

I grew up and left the Troop, and later came back for a half-hearted attempt at being an Assistant Scoutmaster, but I wasn't neither a good scoutmaster, nor a good influence on the young men in my troop. Dennis seemed to grow distant of me, and I never understood why. Perhaps he went from treating me like a scout, to treating me like a colleague? I didn't stick around....I didn't get much satisfaction in the role in what I saw as a changing troop and changing scouting organization in general. But more than that, I had a lot of problems in my life at the time, and I was working constantly, and was in fact on the way to working myself into a suicide attempt in 2007.

Thankfully, things got better, but I lost touch with him until recently.

I just connected with Dennis last month for the first time in years, but I didn't really give much of his Facebook page a look at the time. His son, a good friend of mine, hasn't taken the time to say a word to me other than give me the link to another friend of mine on Facebook. That's concerning to me as well...I spoke on stage at his court of honor when he received his Eagle, and he was like a little brother to me. Perhaps I was more toxic than I realized? Maybe I didn't try hard enough?

Anyways.....have any of you connected with friends or mentors after years apart only to find out that they aren't quite the people that you thought they were?

I dunno.....maybe it's just Facebook that brings out the worst in people.

Rotn1 likes this.
  2. nursetim

nursetim

Never really had a mentor, the closest I came was with my NAUI instructor at UNCW, lost touch.

Was your mentor anyway involved with pulling you back from the edge in ‘07? I pulled my best friend back from the edge and after that I drifted away quickly. I had spent all my emotional energy for him that night. I just didn’t have anymore for him. Beyond that, I got nothing. Sorry.

MB-G26 likes this.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

No, he wasn't. Another friend was though, not related to Scouts, though he himself was an Eagle scout.

4. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

The pastor that married my wife and I, 27 years ago, (Baptist), is a Biden supporting liberal. IF I have the chance to speak to him, it will probably end up like it did with another pastor of mine, saying , "wow! You are really conservative"! Yes. Yes I am. As are my wife and kids. Pro life, and Bible believing. I am very disappointed in the pastor that married us. But, we don't hang out. It happens.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

6. NMG26

NMG26

For me it was not politics but religion. There are stages of growth, and one of them seems to be learning that people are not the archetype. It hurt a little to loose the respect of one I thought highly of, then I realized I put too much expectation on them.
    I learned to think the best of them, and now it is good. Time seems to heal soul tie wounds. Pray the best for them.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  7. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Almost none of my friends share my political beliefs. Doesn’t stop me from being their friend, looking up to them as mentors, or loving them as family members. There is so much more to life than dwelling on politics. Someone’s political opinions should offer no more of an impediment to friendship than their favored sports team. I blame Facebook and Twitter.

Tanger, wrenrj1, NMG26 and 4 others like this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You can still be friends, just don't bring up politics. Unfortunately, their side doesn't think the same way.

9. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

He was there to help you at the time you needed help. Your other friend was there at the time you really needed help, (and I’m glad he helped you or we would have missed out on having you, a good dude, around here).

My point is people come and go in your life as you or they need it. Once they or you have completed the task then we grow apart. Accept that he was a good mentor but that you and him have grown and went your separate ways.

10. peng

peng

Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant. Not sure it means any more than that.

11. Jonesee

Jonesee

Don't let politics pick your friends.
    Friends have done and will do far more for you than any politician.

9jeeps, ChuckUles and Jade Falcon like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

For eight years, what did we constantly hear from the Dems? "Oh, you don't have to like Obama, but you still need to respect the Office of the President of the United States"

Now when it's their turn to do the same, we all see how they act.

9jeeps, Dr. Bill, Flags and 4 others like this.
  13. DaleGribble

DaleGribble FullClip CANT BREATHE!!!!!

Did yall hear that sound? No? I'm surprised because that was a huge truth bomb that Jim dropped...

Lifelong friends rarely exist as friendship is a transient process in most cases.

Beyond that, we all change as we progress or regress and we are rarely the same person we were a decade ago. You've both changed as people.

@Jade Falcon I'm betting your third paragraph explains the distance he put between you and him. Perhaps you were more toxic than you realized, perhaps you were draining. It happens. If you've moved past all that, shoot him a message and tell him you're sorry about the way things worked out.

jimcorbin, ChuckUles and Jade Falcon like this.
  14. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

My best friend is an otherwise extremely intelligent person. also very liberal.
    We try to avoid politics. He can never acknowledge political hypocrisy. And usually when i start in on actual details and facts about something he brought up, it turns out he had no clue at all, but he's still right....
    Anything other than politics, including guns, he's able to have a conversation and use logic.

Politics is a serious religion for some, regardless of facts or reality.

A lot of other people i used to know are currently very hard left, and cant even hold a conversation.
    A few are currently making equipment and supplies for the terrorists setting portland on fire right now.

I just look at them as entertainment, and people i used to know.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. Rotn1

Rotn1

What a thoughtful and thought provoking post.
    I have had many important mentors and friends; all related to either sports or my career.
    While i can and occasionally do contact a couple of them, it is infrequent.
    So many years, so many miles, so many move and so many life changes........ it is never the same and never how I remember it.

16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

True friends stay in touch.
    High School friends ...only one
    College friends....only 2
    Army friends, about half.
    Work friends....0
    Friends in my AO....1
    My Mentor was my adopted Dad, did a pretty good job of it.
    My best friend is my Significant other, she always has my back.

Jade Falcon, Atomic Punk and Rotn1 like this.
  17. Jbritt

Jbritt

I like being a loner, I rarely get let down by my friends since I have so very few. However, the friends I do have are real friends, not what most people consider friends nowadays.

Jade Falcon and Doc Holliday like this.
  18. Tanger

Tanger

I think of people and relationships as a journey or work in progress. Always changing / growing but not always in the same direction. Humans are all flawed, as well. I have had great professional mentors that ended up getting fired for sexual harassment. They were flawed but it doesn’t change what they taught me about other aspects of the business.

While I don’t think you have to agree on everything to be friends, there are some things that are deal breakers for me. If someone steals, or hurts my family, we won’t be friends. If someone disagrees with me on politics or religion, not a big deal, as long as we have something else that bonds us.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Now you understand the influence all these communist teachers have on our children.

"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted." - Vladimir Lenin

Intolerant and Jade Falcon like this.
  20. Intolerant

Intolerant

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer.
    Its easier to watch them and know what they are doing.

Atomic Punk likes this.