Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this police trade-in from an auction and noticed the front sight doesn't have the hex head I expected. I have attached pictures of the front sight and what a normal front sight should look like. Any help would be great appreciated. I made my avatar the front sight on the Glock 22.

Glock 22 Gen 3 with RTF2 frame
Sights are Glock night sights and have 'AI' on them

·
Registered
93 Posts
You sure they are night sights? Looks like the old standard plastic sights which used a plastic pin pushed in from the bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure they are night sights? Looks like the old standard plastic sights which used a plastic pin pushed in from the bottom.
I'm fairly positive. They glow slightly in the dark and are on a use police firearm. In fact, I just checked the blue label on the box and it says night sights.

Either way...are you familiar with how to remove these? I have the hex driver for the normal screw, however, it obviously won't work in this situation.

·
Federal Member
29,780 Posts
All you need for Glock sight removal/install:

Rear sight:

Front Sight:

:cool:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If yr not comfortable using a pin punch to drift it out from the bottom, I'm sure you can find a gunsmith or Glock armorer who wouldn't mind doing it for ya. It's either that, or grab the thing with a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to work it out that way. As long as you don't damage the hole in the slide, you should be good to go installing a new one.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Use a block of wood under a wrapped slide, brass drift punch out. Wrap a vice jaws with leather/wood/tape same procedure. Put a magnet by it. no stick, could be plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All you need for Glock sight removal/install:

Rear sight:

Front Sight:

:cool:
I have both tools...the pusher and the front sight tool. If you looked at the picture, you can see the hex head is missing, therefore, the front sight tool is not applicable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If yr not comfortable using a pin punch to drift it out from the bottom, I'm sure you can find a gunsmith or Glock armorer who wouldn't mind doing it for ya. It's either that, or grab the thing with a pair of needle-nose pliers and try to work it out that way. As long as you don't damage the hole in the slide, you should be good to go installing a new one.
I just punched it out easily and installed a new front sight. Thanks a bunch for your help!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just punched it out easily and installed a new front sight. Thanks a bunch for your help!
I have the same set up on my g21 gen 3, after I punch out the sight will the screw with the new one work or will I need to press it in and use a drop of locktite ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have the same issue on a g-21. Front night sight appears to have been peened in place, Understand punching it out from bottom with top of slide supported. Question is slide does not have the circle recess of my latter models, are there any problems with interference from the screw head on this vintage?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Never saw one of those before.

Glad you posted about it.

Sorry I cannot answer your question about the new sight fitment.

·
Registered
15,408 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
From Post #12, your front sight was the oldest "staked" type.
New versions of that sight are no longer sold and there's even a special tool to stake or flare out the tenon.
Even the staking tool is discontinued, even though there are probably a bunch of old Glock Armorers like me who still have them in our toolboxes.
The staked on sights came in polymer or steel.

Yes, one can pound them out from the bottom or merely take some pliers, protecting the top of the slide, and twist or lever the front sight off. The slide is hard enough compared to the front sight's hardness, where the slide won't be damaged. The front sight hole shape hasn't changed and new screw-on front sights fit right in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks all. Had not seen a staked before, only the pinned and screw types. So we punched it out supported by a bench block. New front sight installed ok, had considerable side clearance so had to be sure it was straight when tightening. Screw head appears to have enough clearance. Will re-zero it tomorrow after the loctight sets up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I was going to suggest the universal sight removal and wrist watch opening tool kit

Reactions: Lt. Donn

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The older Glock front night sights were staked in sights like you had. A simple pin will punch it out. My brother has an old front sight staking tool from years ago before they switched to the screw on front sights at his department.

·
Federal Member
29,780 Posts
Do you post many messages in the "I didnt read the thread but wanted to reply anyway" thread? :)
2 answers.

Senior moment.
Yes!!!!

:laughabove:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts