·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dyin' over a woddsplitter, that ain't much of a livin'....-Some Clint Eastwood character somewhere...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Archery with a long bow or a recurve is a lot of fun. I have gotten several pistol match shooters interested in traditional archery. They take to it like a duck to water.
The bow was once a formidable weapon. The English long bow which pulled over a 100 lbs and was second place to the equally as powerful bow of the Mongol archers who conquered a vast empire.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last deer I killed with my recurve took about 2-3 minutes to die...I hit him through both lungs..bleed out was pretty quick...

Way back in the late 70s or early 80s a lady who bow hunting in Pennsylvania had to defend herself when she was attacked by a man with a history of sexual assault...it cured his antisocial behavior.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suspect the victim was stealing from the poor to give to the rich. Just a theory...
Dennis Moore got apprehended? (/montypython)

(Usual montage of Dennis Moore riding plus song.)
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
Riding through the land
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
Without a merry band
He steals from the poor. And gives to the rich
Stupid ......
(Dennis Moore reins to sudden halt and looks over to camera.)
Moore: What did you sing?
Singers: (speaking) We sang... he steals from the poor and gives to the rich.
Moore: Wait a tic... blimey, this redistribution of wealth is trickier than I thought.
(Women's Institute applause.)

·
NRA Life Member
68,433 Posts
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...tes-self-defense-after-killing-man-with-arrow

Jefferson County is the county just below St Louis County and has a huge crime problem,,mostly drugs and theft.

I checked Missouri Casenet and Mr. Stotts isn't unknown to the local police.
Doesn't really look like a solidly legal self-defense. "Said the man came at him menacingly" is not usually a justification for deadly force. It helps that the guy was caught stealing and it will probably come out justified (mostly because the shooter was a juvenile), but it's not one of those "by the book" clearly justified cases.

I can only recall one bow and arrow homicide in Kentucky. A guy in Louisville put several arrows through his wife. We discussed it in my homicide investigation course at the police academy.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Doesn't really look like a solidly legal self-defense. "Said the man came at him menacingly" is not usually a justification for deadly force. It helps that the guy was caught stealing and it will probably come out justified (mostly because the shooter was a juvenile), but it's not one of those "by the book" clearly justified cases.

I can only recall one bow and arrow homicide in Kentucky. A guy in Louisville put several arrows through his wife. We discussed it in my homicide investigation course at the police academy.
It sure as hell is in Texas.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

It seems to me like it’s a “by the book” self-defense case, especially if you consider the “disparity of force” between a grown man attacking a child.

Reactions: Bill Keith

·
NRA Life Member
68,433 Posts
It seems to me like it’s a “by the book” self-defense case, especially if you consider the “disparity of force” between a grown man attacking a child.
"Disparity of force" is not in the book. It's a name we use for when we hope a prosecutor or grand jury will agree that a person was substantially likely to beat us to death with their bare hands.

Since he was headed out bow hunting, I'd guess this "juvenile" was most likely in the 16-17 year-old range. There isn't necessarily any great disparity of force in that. If he was 10 years old, I'd agree.

Reactions: pokersamurai

·
Registered
856 Posts

Guy was rapidly attempting to arm himself through violence how does it get more by the book than that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
"Disparity of force" is not in the book. It's a name we use for when we hope a prosecutor or grand jury will agree that a person was substantially likely to beat us to death with their bare hands.

Since he was headed out bow hunting, I'd guess this "juvenile" was most likely in the 16-17 year-old range. There isn't necessarily any great disparity of force in that. If he was 10 years old, I'd agree.
That’s true, “disparity of force” is not technically in the criminal code book, but it has a long and successful precedent as a justification for self-defense against an unarmed attacker. Like you said, a lot depends on the exact age of the juvenile. I assumed he was younger because usually in articles when a 16 or 17 year old in involved in an incident it gives their age, but I guess the juvenile could have been older.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Looks solid to me. Youre in the woods and call a thief out on his thievery. Thief aggressively comes towards you.

What was he supposed to do? Throw his weapon down and go hands on? The article said that he warned the guy several times and he kept coming.

To fire a bow, one has to load an arrow and pull it back. Would you keep going towards an armed person readying a weapon like that and warning you after you where caught committing a felony?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts