Not really a Zombie thread. . .

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wjv, Feb 1, 2010.

1. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Been watching several Zombie/Infected movies the past few weeks and I honestly have to say that even if you assume that such a Virus/disease/radiation could actually happen, one must consider the following. .

- At LEAST 250 million firearms in private hands in the USA
    - At Least 50 million homes with guns
    - 12 Billion of round of ammo were sold just last year alone
    - (7 Billion in 2008)

I think the original movie, Night of the Living Dead (1968) had it right. The Zombie threat was bad for a few days, and then all the rifles came out of the closets; people formed "hunting" groups, and started "cleaning up" the town.

Areas like NYC and Chicago could get hit really hard due to decades of severe gun laws that limit firearms ownership. Even in those places there are a lot of people who own hunting rifles and shotguns. Though it seems like political brainwashing has done some damage and even long gun ownership has declined, in those areas. Also, it is harder to buy ammo in Chicago and NYC that in use to be. . (I don't think there is a single gun shop left inside the city limits of Chicago) .

I guess that's why a lot of the new Zombie fiction (written stories) have the infection starting in places like China. . High density population and zero firearm ownership,

One other negative I see is that while many people in the USA own guns, there are a LOT of gun owners who don't stock very much ammo. I've seen it many time where someone has firearms, but only has a half box of ammo. Hopefully that's changed some this past year. Though I doubt it. I'm guessing that 10-15% of the gun owners bought 80%-90% of those 12 Billion rounds.

In a real Zombie apocalypse, I'd be handing out boxes of ammo to anyone who needed it. I'd hope that most people with significant stashes would do the same.

We now return control of your television set . . um. . computer screen to you, until next week at this same time when the Control voice will take you to. . . . . the GNG Lounge!!!!

That is all.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

which ones you watching ? love em too ,

always downloading zombie movies from the the 30ties 50 ties etc etc . alot of them are stinkers but a few good ones. hard to find new good ones.

3. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Will you please stop! You broke my concentration playing L4D and L4D2.:supergrin:

4. sbhaven

sbhaven

Sounds like the OP needs to read the Zombie Survival Guide. :rofl:

Surviving the zombie horde will involve much more than guns and bullets. :supergrin:

5. BigFelipe

BigFelipe BeenQuietTilNow

I agree with the OP; slow zombies like NOTLD wouldn't make it very long in the majority of the US. Fast zombies like 28 Days Later with a viral twist is different. I'd be more concerned with viral outbreaks. I saw a movie called CARRIERS a few weeks ago; not a bad flick. An airborne or contact viral strain would get bad fast.

6. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i posted few weeks on carriers , was damn surprised was a good movie . i think something like will or can happen then ITS ON CUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

also check out 70ties movie called the crazies ,ofcourse by today standards would be cheesy but not a bad flick .

7. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

Zombie Diaries...set in England and of course they somehow have...guns! Fairly cheesy with one of the 'rifles' looking suspiciously like a Gamo pellet rifle.

Of course the guns don't save the peeps, they end up turning on each other and...

But, in the end...

Oh well, don't want to spoil it completely.

HR

8. wjv

I have both of those movies but haven't watched either yet. Also waiting for the remake of The Crazies that's due out at the end of this month. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455407/)

Watched Dead Air; Dead Set; Dawn of the Dead; Dead Snow; Against the Dark (Steven Segal - Thumbs DOWN);

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  9. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

cool , had no idea of remake of the crazies !!!!

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/zombie-movie-listing/ also check out this website has a big list of zombie flicks , good site

10. farley45

farley45

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I've often wondered how things would be different if the Zombies were the ones who also had guns, and could shoot.

Of course that would be different from what most folks could do, now wouldn't it?:whistling:

12. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Gore-Met, Zombie Chef from Hell

I Was a Zombie for the FBI

Kung Fu Zombie

Death Warmed Up

Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Terror

Man those have got to be worth a watch!:rofl:

13. treeline

treeline

Why wouldn't they? That's always the problem with British zombie type flicks, they never acknowledge the amount of rifles and shotguns in private hands and stocked in stores. There's also a few makers who manufacture semi/full auto rifles for export and many firearms dealers who have all sorts of guns they are planning to de-activate. Add to that wierd stuff like long-barrel revolvers, other revolvers for humane dispatch, criminals with handguns etc and they're not doing badly. This annoyed the hell out of me when I saw 28 days later. Didn't they think of looking in the phonebook for a gunshop? I mean, no-one thought, "hey, maybe a shotgun would be helpful?".

Zombie Diaries is a good movie, in a low-budget, badly acted way. It's intreresting seeing how many people show short-sighted self-interest instead of pulling together. If a Zombie outbreak isn't contained by the secret societies that are currently protecting us :tinfoil: , I'm sure it's people who'll be a bigger danger than the zombies.

14. sbhaven

sbhaven

I think that in Land of the Dead (2005) one of the zombies (the main zombie guy) did pickup a AR and shot another zombie (or was it a human) with it. He then slings it over his back and shuffles on. The premise laid down earlier in that movie was that zombies were seen doing the repetitive tasks (like filling up a car with gas per the main zombie guy at the gas station) so the firing of firearms wouldn't be that far fetched.

15. BigFelipe

After seeing it in previews on several rentals I finally gave in and picked it up. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Pretty realistic and honest with good acting throughout.

I'll check out the crazies.

16. wjv

17. kobel1up

kobel1up

I hate zombie movies always have. I do like shaun of the dead, and the best is Zombieland. I think that the comedy in the movies is what makes them easier for me to watch.

18. BigFelipe

Yeah, the zombies were "learning" as the film progressed. Kinda like the creatures in I Am Legend.

19. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

I would like to see some more apocaliptic type movies (book of Eli). If they have zombies all the better.

20. sbhaven

sbhaven

Oh and in Day of the Dead (1985) the zombie that was being used as a test subject got his hands on a 1911 (I think) and shot at least one guy with it near the end of the movie.

Man I've watched way to many zombie movies if I can remember this stuff right off the top of my head.:rofl:

Looking forward to the movie version of World War Z.