GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a quick FYI (or heads up).

I keep reading and hearing about exorbitant electric utility bills, insurance claims, frozen pipes, lack of food/water, etc. as a result of last weeks weather event in Texas.

None of those issues apply to me (or my neighbors).

- My electrical utility provider is a Co-Op. We have received excellent communication before, during and after the event. Our rate was FIXED on February 1st. We will NOT be receiving outrageous bills from my Co-Op. In fact, it might cost LESS this month since we did have rolling outages so the electricity was off some of the time. Our typical pattern was 30 minutes ON and 30 minutes OFF from 2 am Monday until 7 pm Thursday. (Thanks to my UPS/battery backup my AT&T modem never lost power so I even had Internet and telephone service the entire time.)

- This has happened before. I will not need to make any insurance claims for any damage caused by the storm. Over the years I have added insulation to my walls and ceilings . . . and to my water supply and drain pipes. The coldest it ever got inside my house was 60°. None of my water pipes froze (or burst).

- My town has spent a lot of money over the years upgrading our infrastructure . . . so our water was never in jeopardy . . . we never ran out of water . . . and we never had a boil water order in my town.

- I have a 55-gallon rain barrel full of water, 48 gallons of store bought water, several 5-gallon Igloo water jugs, a Berkey water filter and several camping/backpacking water filters (and a huge lake right out the front door).

- I have not needed to go to a grocery a store yet . . . so I cannot personally vouch for any shortages . . . I have plenty of food on hand at home. My refrigerator/freezer was never without power long enough for any of the contents to be in danger. And I have plenty of food/water on hand that keeps at room temperature. I could easily eat/drink for two months before I would have to dip into my freeze dried camping/backpacking rations that would last me another two months.

- I was able to take a hot shower every morning. And I recharged my laptop, iPad and cell phone in-between the rolling outages. I never went hungry or thirsty. I have not had to buy any gasoline yet because I did not need to go anywhere during the storm(s) and since we had plenty of advance notice, I filled both of my vehicles gasoline tanks beforehand.

Not everything in Texas is Gloom, Despair & Agony.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Systems fail eventually. Always something that could have been done better.

Good to hear you and your area are better prepper for failure than most seem to be.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I had broken pipes and power outages here in the Texas Hill Country. I now see from this event what I need to do better. Even if we don’t get a similar winter storm in my lifetime, these changes will at least bring me peace of mind.

Thinking out loud here, I need to finally move my water heater from the attic above the master bedroom to a not-yet-built water heater enclosure outside which will also house the whole house water filter and water descaler. I need to insulate any other plumbing left in the attic.

I need to get a tub or two of one of those survival meals I see advertised along with a little overstocking of some canned foods like soups. I had only five gallons of water on standby, and even though I‘m glad I at least did that, I see I need to store way more. We were blessed our neighbor still had water.

Dirty dishes piled up fast so we‘ll get disposable plates, cups, bowls and utensils. Also, I had a stack of firewood from cutting some trees in my yard, and I was going to give it away. Now I see I need to keep it in stock, and I need to get one of those fire pits you can cook on in addition to the warmth it brings.

To add, I really don’t foresee it getting too much worse than this, but since we have the Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake close by for a natural water source, I’d like to look into a filtering/purification process - something not crazy expensive that would clean several gallons of water at least to the level where it was potable after just boiling it.

We‘re good now after a good Samaritan neighbor got our water back on line and the power outages have ended. Our dignity was instantly restored after hot showers, dishes washed and a large pile of clothes washed. So all is well now thanks to the Lord!!!

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I had broken pipes and power outages here in the Texas Hill Country. I now see from this event what I need to do better. Even if we don’t get a similar winter storm in my lifetime, these changes will at least bring me peace of mind.

Thinking out loud here, I need to finally move my water heater from the attic above the master bedroom to a not-yet-built water heater enclosure outside which will also house the whole house water filter and water descaler. I need to insulate any other plumbing left in the attic.

I need to get a tub or two of one of those survival meals I see advertised along with a little overstocking of some canned foods like soups. I had only five gallons of water on standby, and even though I‘m glad I at least did that, I see I need to store way more. We were blessed our neighbor still had water.

Dirty dishes piled up fast so we‘ll get disposable plates, cups, bowls and utensils. Also, I had a stack of firewood from cutting some trees in my yard, and I was going to give it away. Now I see I need to keep it in stock, and I need to get one of those fire pits you can cook on in addition to the warmth it brings.

To add, I really don’t foresee it getting too much worse than this, but since we have the Guadalupe River and Canyon Lake close by for a natural water source, I’d like to look into a filtering/purification process - something not crazy expensive that would clean several gallons of water at least to the level where it was potable after just boiling it.

We‘re good now after a good Samaritan neighbor got our water back on line and the power outages have ended. Our dignity was instantly restored after hot showers, dishes washed and a large pile of clothes washed. So all is well now thanks to the Lord!!!
I actually built one for around $50. 3 food grade 5 gallon buckets, 3 Dolton ceramic filters, a spigot, funnel, and coffee filters. Unfortunately, the ceramic filters have become pricey.

Takes about 24 hours to process 4 gallons of water. I may add more ceramic filters to increase the rate of filtration. Final step is one teaspoon of bleach in four gallons of filtered water and let sit for 30 minutes.

I forgot to add that I use the funnel (glued into the top lid) with coffee filters to serve as a pre filter.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Systems fail eventually. Always something that could have been done better.

Good to hear you and your area are better prepper for failure than most seem to be.
One thing I’ve learned is that a 15,000 BTU propane heater is not adequate for 1,100 square feet.

We now have a Dyna Glo kerosene heater and 6 gallons of 1-K kerosene on order as well.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Experience can be a great teacher - only problem - tuition can be very high.

Thanks for the posts - I'm paying attention. (y)(y)(y)
+1 on experience

When this happened back in 1983 I ended up with frozen (and burst) water supply lines in my crawl space and at my outdoor faucets.

I learned the hard way the lesson regarding insulation after I repaired the busted pipes.
Better to spend $ on insulation and install it during my leisure on a nice day - then to crawl around on my hands and knees in the freezing cold.

When it happened again in 1989, 2011 and 2021 - no frozen water pipes!
And I had hot water the entire time.

Edited to add:

I keep plenty of copper pipe, fittings, solder & flux and propane for my torch on hand.
I even bought a "T-key" so that I can turn off the water to my home at the meter.
Just-in-case.
And I do not have to wait for a plumber since I can manage the repairs on my own.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on experience

When this happened back in 1983 I ended up with frozen (and burst) water supply lines in my crawl space and at my outdoor faucets.

I learned the hard way the lesson regarding insulation after I repaired the busted pipes.
Better to spend $ on insulation and install it during my leisure on a nice day - then to crawl around on my hands and knees in the freezing cold.

Edited to add:

I keep plenty of copper pipe, fittings, solder & flux and propane for my torch on hand.
I even bought a "T-key" so that I can turn off the water to my home at the meter.
Just-in-case.
And I do not have to wait for a plumber since I can manage the repairs on my own.
Propane torches do not work well for soldering 1/2" copper pipes when temperatures are below freezing, the cylinder pressure drops with the temperature! PV=nRT!

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

·
rip "Bud"
9,456 Posts
I've been thru Texas many times but for the Big Bend area. I can't believe people think it is such a great area, with hurricanes, winds, dust, braggarts & drunks. My fave part of the state is the hill country & San Antonio. Bout it.... Perfect for Californians, probably.

·
rip "Bud"
9,456 Posts
+1 on experience

Edited to add:

Just-in-case.
You and me think alike.... Good or bad....??????

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
I need to get a tub or two of one of those survival meals I see advertised
I am not a big fan of the stuff I have looked into. It is mostly carbs with poor nutrition and often a low amount of calories per day. The prices tend to be high for what you get. You might be better off with a good canned food stockpile and at least one pound of dried food(rice, lentils , pasta etc.) per person per day. There are plenty of tips over at the survival forum.
(5) Survival/Preparedness Forum | GlockTalk Forum

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
How many BTU is the new heater?
It’s rated at 23,800 BTU. Zoro just emailed us to let us know that they couldn’t fill our kerosene order. Supplier is out. I ordered 4 gallons of Kleanheat kerosene instead.

A YouTuber claims that 1 pint of 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol can be added to low sulfur diesel as a kerosene substitute in heaters. I’m going to research this further.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I am not a big fan of the stuff I have looked into. It is mostly carbs with poor nutrition and often a low amount of calories per day. The prices tend to be high for what you get. You might be better off with a good canned food stockpile and at least one pound of dried food(rice, lentils , pasta etc.) per person per day. There are plenty of tips over at the survival forum.
(5) Survival/Preparedness Forum | GlockTalk Forum
Also, I was going to look into MREs. I was in USMC bootcamp during the transition from C-Rats to MREs so I ate them here and there during my time while out in the field. I'm sure they have gone through many changes, possibly even getting better. And yes, we do have some rice and pasta, but we need to get larger amounts than our current meager supply.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Also, I was going to look into MREs. I was in USMC bootcamp during the transition from C-Rats to MREs so I ate them here and there during my time while out in the field. I'm sure they have gone through many changes, possibly even getting better. And yes, we do have some rice and pasta, but we need to get larger amounts than our current meager supply.
Those things are about $10 apiece. Unless you need to carry your food in a pack I would rather eat canned food.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
We live in North Fort Worth and our power was never out, we had internet the whole time. We had low water pressure and were under a boil order for a short period of time due to a power outage at the water processing plant. We get our electricity from a co-op but I’ve been told we are on the same power grid as a nearby hospital so power outages are extremely rare - who knows. Even though we are all electric and have a heat pump, our home was always comfortable warm. A week ago today the temperature was -2 degrees with about 6 inches of snow on the ground. Today’s high was 82 degrees. A “hold my beer” week for sure.

·
Watcher.
40,417 Posts
It’s rated at 23,800 BTU. Zoro just emailed us to let us know that they couldn’t fill our kerosene order. Supplier is out. I ordered 4 gallons of Kleanheat kerosene instead.

A YouTuber claims that 1 pint of 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol can be added to low sulfur diesel as a kerosene substitute in heaters. I’m going to research this further.
Don't use diesel in a kero,it screws up the wick.'08.

·
Registered
15,427 Posts

Thanks. That's good info. I hope you are storm damage free for a long time........sounds like mother nature and the man ran you all through the wringer!

It was friggin' 81F today here in Dallas. One week ago the range was -2 to 18F. We moved from frostbite to sunburn in a week!....actually less than a week the last couple of days have been perfect.

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
We live in North Fort Worth and our power was never out, we had internet the whole time. We had low water pressure and were under a boil order for a short period of time due to a power outage at the water processing plant. We get our electricity from a co-op but I’ve been told we are on the same power grid as a nearby hospital so power outages are extremely rare - who knows. Even though we are all electric and have a heat pump, our home was always comfortable warm. A week ago today the temperature was -2 degrees with about 6 inches of snow on the ground. Today’s high was 82 degrees. A “hold my beer” week for sure.

I was literally busting ice out of my pool with an axe this time last week. The heat pump at our lake house, got to -4 or -5 there held up well without turning on the emergency heat.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I was literally busting ice out of my pool with an axe this time last week. The heat pump at our lake house, got to -4 or -5 there held up well without turning on the emergency heat.
That’s pretty much what our heat pump did. For some reason I was under the impression that heat pumps (this is my first one) quit being effective at about 30 degrees. We have a smart thermostat and it seldom kicked over to emergency heat even when we had single digit temperatures.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts