Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten to the point where I don't enjoy shooting as much as I used to. When I lived in another state, I used to be a member of a private range. Even with a full range, everything was conducted safely and I had a great time.

Ever since I moved to MO, I've been going to a Dept. of Conservation public range. Since I live in a college town, it's usually filled with unsafe idiots. They are usually groups of 4 or 5 and take up a bench (which makes me nervous and is unsafe). They ALWAYS have AR-15s and insist on shooting them at the 25yrd pistol range. Why anyone would want shoot an AR-15 at this range does not make sense to me. Worst of all, I like to shoot closer up, at about the 10yr mark, so I have to wait for them to stop shooting so I can move closer up. Then it will take them another 15-20 mins before I can shoot closer up again. I spend more time waiting around than actually shooting.

I've been shot at by two old guys with a new 1911 because they were too stupid to keep the muzzle down range and keep their finger off the trigger. A round was discharged towards the parking lot, maybe 20yd from where I was standing. I've had a frat guys girlfriend point his loaded HiPoint at me. Lastly, I've had someone with an AK start firing with me and several others down range. Needless to say, I will not go to this range anymore.

I tried out a new range out in the sticks about 40 miles away and this place was much better. I was the only one there. Unfortunately an idiot and his girlfriend showed up about 30 minutes before sunset wanting to shoot. As they arrived, I was in the process of picking up my brass. They waited about five minutes before the girlfriend approached asking if they could shoot. I told them I will be done in less than five minutes and they can shoot then. She became slightly angry and said they wanted to shoot before dark. I told them they should not arrive 30 minutes before dark, nor should they were sandals to a shooting range.

I love shooting, but I always leave the range in a bad mood. I noticed the number of idiots has increased in the past year. New shooters really need to get some training before coming to a public range.

I am waiting for the day when I purchase my own home on land large enough for shooting so I don't ever have to shoot at another range with other people.

·
Garbage Day!
9,726 Posts
It's the lack of ammo on the shelves that's all but killed it for me.

I've actually considered buying a rifle chambered in .22-250 or .270 Win Mag or something, because those seem to be some of the only calibers left that people don't hoard.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I usually go to the range around 2:00p.m. on Wednesdays or Thursdays.There is hardly anyone there at that time.When i went on the weekends i didn't enjoy it because of the crowd.

·
Registered
33,044 Posts
I shoot behind my house. That is nice. Also belong to 2 clubs. One is small and not busy. The other is busier.

The more people, the more chances for shenanigans.

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
luckily i got friend with home made range . bout mile down the road . but we dont shoot as much as used to . to high for some ammo and you cant find it i gave up .

and im not standing in line at 6 am in walmart like the same 12 dudes do every morning . :steamed:

counter guy said for the last year the same 12 there daily and buy all ammo :steamed: , fortunatly we know which gun shop they all work for and avoid it and spread the word

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
Dept. of Conservation public ranges around here do draw some interesting folks.

Like sonoma, I try to go during off-hours to avoid the idiots.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I don't enjoy shooting as much as I used to. When I lived in another state, I used to be a member of a private range. Even with a full range, everything was conducted safely and I had a great time.

Ever since I moved to MO, I've been going to a Dept. of Conservation public range. Since I live in a college town, it's usually filled with unsafe idiots. They are usually groups of 4 or 5 and take up a bench (which makes me nervous and is unsafe). They ALWAYS have AR-15s and insist on shooting them at the 25yrd pistol range. Why anyone would want shoot an AR-15 at this range does not make sense to me. Worst of all, I like to shoot closer up, at about the 10yr mark, so I have to wait for them to stop shooting so I can move closer up. Then it will take them another 15-20 mins before I can shoot closer up again. I spend more time waiting around than actually shooting.

I've been shot at by two old guys with a new 1911 because they were too stupid to keep the muzzle down range and keep their finger off the trigger. A round was discharged towards the parking lot, maybe 20yd from where I was standing. I've had a frat guys girlfriend point his loaded HiPoint at me. Lastly, I've had someone with an AK start firing with me and several others down range. Needless to say, I will not go to this range anymore.

I tried out a new range out in the sticks about 40 miles away and this place was much better. I was the only one there. Unfortunately an idiot and his girlfriend showed up about 30 minutes before sunset wanting to shoot. As they arrived, I was in the process of picking up my brass. They waited about five minutes before the girlfriend approached asking if they could shoot. I told them I will be done in less than five minutes and they can shoot then. She became slightly angry and said they wanted to shoot before dark. I told them they should not arrive 30 minutes before dark, nor should they were sandals to a shooting range.

I love shooting, but I always leave the range in a bad mood. I noticed the number of idiots has increased in the past year. New shooters really need to get some training before coming to a public range.

I am waiting for the day when I purchase my own home on land large enough for shooting so I don't ever have to shoot at another range with other people.
This sounds like the Forestry Dept range in my part of the world. There are times when I feel like I would be safer in Afghanistan. College kids everywhere and safety is absent

·
Banned
32,813 Posts
I'm getting a bit antisocial as I age.
If I had to shoot around a bunch of goons I'd give it up.
Luckily I can shoot at home.

·
The eBay Guy
21,550 Posts
Buy some property and set your own private range up. No safety issues and no waits.
What an easily achievable solution for all... :upeyes:

·
Directiv 10-289
6,854 Posts
That is why I joined Pioneer Gun Club in KC and Bates City.

I have a key to the indoor range and can go anytime day or night, unless there is a scheduled event.

And the outdoor range has 7 ranges for shotguns, pistols, 2 rifle ranges, moving targets, falling plates, etc.

And any prospective member has to be vouched for by an existing member, and go though an all day class and take a test, before being allowed to join.

No more public ranges for me......

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Public ranges are rough in my area also. It seems to be the same everywhere. You have to have eyes in back of your head. There are so many people with a poor set of handling skills and lack of education.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is why I joined Pioneer Gun Club in KC and Bates City.

I have a key to the indoor range and can go anytime day or night, unless there is a scheduled event.

And the outdoor range has 7 ranges for shotguns, pistols, 2 rifle ranges, moving targets, falling plates, etc.

And any prospective member has to be vouched for by an existing member, and go though an all day class and take a test, before being allowed to join.

No more public ranges for me......
If I lived closer, I'd join.

·
Pinky Out
61,127 Posts
I feel for y'all.......

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I've lost a little interest.
Mostly because of ammo price and availability though.
I also have to drive a ways to an open area to shoot and it's not the greatest place.

Hoping to get out soon again though before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There are no public ranges around me. My only real option is setting up an impromptu range on the limited amount of public land available when no one is around. It's not perfect but it's all that I have to work with at this point.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What an easily achievable solution for all... :upeyes:
coming up with a solution is better than wallowing in self pity. I'm by no means well off but I'm still saving/setting things in motion for my own property.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts