Nostaligia

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Tomcat1977, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Do any of you get nostalgic when you go back to a military base after a long time away? Most of all in the service arm you served in?

I get very nostalgic. And its not just "when I was young" kind of stuff but they kind of reflect what I think America should be in many ways. As in honorable and polite young people who respect authority, and thus themselves. Everything is clean and everyone is responsible.

When I went back to LackLand AFB, after about 40 years away, I saw my old Dorm and I thought I was going to break down. I saw the SP museum about 5 times, "my wife and kid thought I was nuts". A lot of memories came flooding back. Good memories.

Father and Son Basic Training graduation pictures hold the place of honor above my fireplace wall.

rangerjd, The Shadow and Mtnfolk75 like this.
  2. Flags

Flags

Not sure if it is nostalgia or just daydreaming (not sure of difference). The first 20 years after I retired I was in Florida and went to exchange a lot and fishing at Mayport off the jetty and the beach. Since moving back to Oregon where no bases (except small Coast Guard) I have been thinking of driving up to Bremerton to see if the inactive ships are still there and to just drive around the piers.

3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I live near one and go on it fairly often. I retired in 1992 and have seen a lot of changes come along but the people mostly remain the same type, good and honest and brave folk.