close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Norton expired so I tried AVG

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. PC, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

I installed AVG antivirus and AVG Anti-Spyware.

I am now having problems with my Outlook Express email. I cannot send or recieve.

I am also getting messages that my firewall is being turned off.

I may just un-install both AVG programs and renew Norton.

2. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

Okay I think I fixed it. Even though my Norton has expired, I just turned off the e-mail scanner on Norton and all is well again I hope. How much does everybody trust AVG? I was thinking about giving Avast a try for comparison purposes.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

AVG is one of the best.Some people have complained about email hanging with the recent updates.Outlook Express is huge security risk itself.Full Outlook is bit less ricky but still risky.A third party email client is safest.Thunderbird is one of the best and functionwise is much powerful than Outlook Express and has almost as many features and functions as full Outlook.Going from Outlook Express you won't miss anything and gain quite a few.

Can download Thunderbird here

http://filehippo.com/download_thunderbird/

If AVG still causes problems Avast is a good antivirus program that is free but I find AVG to find more infections.Try Thunderbird and AVG I would recommend.

If using IE6 you really should switch to Firefox.
    Can download it here

http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/

Here is a free utility similar to Norton System Works.It's not large.Install and run it after installing Thunderbird.

http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_v2_Personal_d4991.html

4. g29andy

g29andy CLM

WDC can tell you better, but if your Norton is expired, I'd try uninstalling it. I had problems way back when, having both Norton and AVG.

I switched to AVG and haven't looked back.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I have gone to Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite.

It works great blocking nasty scripts, code, Malware etc.

It has anti-viri, anti-Spy/mal/addware, firewall, etc. Does it's job well at a good price. A reat value for the bucks and I got a three PC deal for under $70.00. :banana: :thumbsup: :supergrin: ;)

6. Darkmage

Darkmage

I have found that Norton causes a lot of system instability and slowdown problems. Turning it off isn't really enough. Uninstall it all.

7. lens

lens

+1000 on removing Norton.

BTW, look on Symantec's website for special procedure to remove it COMPLETELY. It's designed NOT to completely uninstall by any standard method!

8. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Mr.PC, now get rid of that crappy Outlook Express and download Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a lot better and way more stable.

9. neeko

neeko

+infinity

10. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

The wife and i have been using AVG for years and love it, no problems at all since install:)

11. Guod

Guod

I hate Norton, the performance issues it causes are criminal, Sure you may not get viruses, but you computer just became useless.

12. lens

lens

+ 100 :thumbsup:

13. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

My fairly new laptop came with a security package called "eTrust". I used it for a few weeks, however I recently uninstalled it and installed AVG (free) instead. I'm pleased with it so far.

Can someone answer this related question:
    My local high speed internet service provider just changed hands and is now "Comcast.net". They offer a free security package to subscribers from McAfee which I installed on my desktop computer. It seems to be working fine. Which is the better package, AVG (free) or McAfee?

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

mcSfee has many of the same problems as Norton.It's widely sold or supplied and the virus writers tests their work against it to avoid detection.The deffinitions are updated often but the base program is rarely updated.I findd AVG has better detection and runs better(faster).McAfee like Norton requires a special program properly unistall it.

http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Add this utility to your AVG and you'll have some decent security.(New version came out a coupledays ago)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_v2_Personal_d4991.html

15. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Is AWC any better than CCleaner? aside from antispyware capability?

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

AWC does do a few things that CCleaner doesn't do.It sets things to not accept certain spyware.It erases more of the PC's history when you run it.CCleaner does seem to clean a few things that AWC doesn't clear but they both have settings and I just use the default settings.CCleaner will "clean" the registry but AWC fixes and resets errors in the registry that it finds.

17. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I just installed AVG (free) on my wife's computer. Is a full computer scan advised every day? What do the experts here recommend?

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

These days a daily scan is usually recommended.AVG has a choice of a slow scan or a faster scan.The faster uses more computer resources and can really slow the PC.They recomend using the slower scan.This allows a few other to run on the PC but it will still be slower during the scan.The scan can be cancelled.I do that often if I'm in the middle of something.The faster scan might be a good choice if the time of day the PC is truned on and you aren't using it for anything.Then the time it takes to scan would be shorter and you could use the PC sooner.I haven't tried the faster scan though and my older PC slows down a lot even with the slower scan.On my newer PC I can still do things but I still notice the speed difference.

19. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

I usually do it about once a week.

20. lens

lens

Most of the IT people I know won't let McAfee anywhere near their machines or those of their clients. I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole, even if they paid me to use it!

Does that answer the question adequately?

CA ETrust is excellent, I use it and so does Microsoft internally. AVG is also excellent and I highly recommend it.