close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Norton AV and problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DepDuke, Aug 28, 2004.

1. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

I just got the 2004 Norton AV and am having a problem. I tried to go to Symantec, but their help was no good. Cannot get anyone on the phine either. For some reason, the software will not load the ' 'Symantec core LC' and the NAV won't work. I also have found that my sound card is not operating now either. Any ideas?I am running a PC with Windows ME. If you need other info, let me know

2. PlethoraGreen

PlethoraGreen

Do you have a Creative soundcard? If so I think I know what the issue is.....http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/7e064b4cb33c785288256e1400811ba6?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

3. glocka

glocka

:( I have the 2004 Norton AV with M.S. me.I've had a lot of problems with the updates and the sound card situation.For the sound,I would have to restart several times and when I get an error message,when trying to get updates manually,I would have to uninstall and start all over again.When norton works,it's great.Butt,it has it's bugs.Customer service,on the phone,will cost beeg bucks.~1 ~1

4. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

I have one of the Creative Live! models. Never gave me a problem before, just now when I went to become all modern and stuff.

Tried your link, and the suggestion....nope. Any other ideas?

5. Garr

Garr Be Prepared

It may be time to hunt e-bay for an XP upgrade (if your machine will handle it). ME is not your friend when it comes to any change in configuration.

6. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

Hmmm....not ready to jump to the XP thing just yet. There HAS to be a way to fix this thing before giving up.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Try this...delete the Creative junk from Add & Remove Programs.

Shut the PC down, pull the sound card and reinstall it into a different PCI slot.

Then reboot and when it asks you for the drivers, shut Norton down completely. CTRL-ALT-DEL should show nothing Norton, all right? Then you should do a CUSTOM install from the SB disk to the default directory: INSTALL DRIVERS ONLY.

None of the other poop should be installed; no Creative Player for your OS!!!

That thing bites anyway...both Me and CL bite. And SBWare is quite 'creative' when it comes to finding ways to conflict with other apps and even some drivers.

Like the .dll's that Norton installs, for instance....

You may need to rip Norton and reinstall it after the driver is pared down.

So try that and see if it doesn't help you.;b

Best regards,

FastVFR

8. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

well. tried it. nothing. same friggin error....3029,19 or something

Going to try them one more time tomorrow after work

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Bummer, Duke.

Well, it might interest (or disgust) you to know that over 30% of my business involves removing Norton or cleaning up the damage afterwards. Millennium Edition is by far the worst OS damaged by this app, but then it starts out that way, too! NAV does not seem to work well on most of the installs I have seen.

Either it conflicts with Windows to the point of preventing Live Updates from being installed, or it hoses hardware drivers, or it kills your Web connectivity, or it slows your formerly-decent PC to a crawl, or it stops letting you save e-mail and other account passwords in Windows, or it makes drives in My Computer vanish randomly, or it corrupts data on the HDD...the list goes on...

It also (due to lousy activation/Live Update scheme) allows virus infections to occur just because their server wouldn't send your PC the proper .dat files in a timely manner.

A new issue, at least to me, is that NAV apparently likes to lie to its customers!!

A client installed the full NAV 2004 about two and a half months ago, and it recently popped up a window telling her that she needed to upgrade because her subscription had lapsed!

GET THIS: When she called their Customer Service line (just before she called me, crying), she was told that a technician could walk her through the fix, but that Norton needed to have her Visa or MC number, AND HAVE HER HOLD WHILE IT WAS VERIFIED, before she would allow the tech on the line...and she was also informed that it would cost at least $40 - if not more - depending on how long it took him to complete the call!!!

W. T. F.

Now you tell me: with this type of scam, doesn't it seem that there is a financial incentive for them to continue releasing flawed code?! Where is their motivation to provide a decent product, if a bad one will net them twice as much money?!?

This is sick. Just nasty and despicable, IMHO.

And their formerly-indispensable System Works is now officially DISPENSABLE.

The SW 2004 requires an Activation scheme, a'la XP, before it is usable now! What a good idea.

The problem starts with the fact that if you don't activate within 30 days, the registry entries it creates, which log the original install date, will prevent it from EVER being operational.

Now, add to this the fact that SOMEHOW, IN WHAT MAY BE THE BIGGEST COINCIDENCE IN MODERN TIMES, THEIR AUTHENTICATION SERVER IS ALWAYS BUSY!!

No fewer than ELEVEN of my friends and clients have paid upwards of $90.00 for this software, just so they could be afflicted with the Tech Line system, wherein you need to GIVE THEM EVEN MORE MONEY VIA CREDIT CARD before you can talk to a technician.

I have personally re-installed four of their OS'es for free, out of pity, in order to enable another chance at NAV or SW reinstall and activation. Guess what?! Not one of those worked either. Searching RegEdit for the settings NAV/SW implanted there led me nowhere...there are literally thousands of entries created, and the removal of more than a few of them makes the OS even more unstable.

With a customer service ethic like that, what sort of person would trust a company like this with their CC billing info?! After all, whatever Norton says you owe, goes. They are apparently making that aspect up as they go along.

More to the point, what sort of person would trust an underpaid tech to read a script to them that would magically fix all their PC problems? Problems that were caused SOLEY BY THE INSTALL OF THIS APPLICATION.

Things like this are what motivated me to enter this field full-time. With the amount of stress I eliminate in a year for my clients, my karma ought to be really, really good.

But Symantec appears to be rapidly losing what support it once had. On every other call, it seems, I set folks up with AVG, or Avast! as a FREE component of my services, and they are usually rather surprised when they wind up with more functionality than NAV provides, with none of the pathetic issues involved. WITHOUT paying $60 or more.

It seems incredible to me, but it sure looks like NAV is causing more OS damage than most viruses do even when it DOES stop viruses!! You DO know that it utterly takes over the OS, permeating every last part of it with its 'code', stopping Web access via corrupted DNS/IP/NetBIOS/drivers if it is uninstalled improperly, along with issues like removing the user's ability to get a task menu by R. Clicking the desktop, right?!

Well, I guess you know now, anyway....

Duke, I send you and your poor PC my condolences. Back up your files. Run the Restore disk or get XP.

And next time, feel free to believe folks when they tell you that the best anti-virus apps are free!!

Good luck, guy.

FastVFR

10. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

Dumped the NAV and went to Mcafee......I talked to a lot of people here and they said it was better, more stable, and just plain easier to work with.

Trying the 15 day trial...if I dont like, then it goes..

any suggestions or options if I dont like the Macafee?

11. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

12. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Yea, the CA Antivirus is sweet. I've put it on servers and clients machines at too many places to count and it works awesome. Run it at home too.

13. Rainman

Rainman Forgiven!