North Carolina's HB-723 - "Gun Safety Act" Yeah, right ...

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by Miguelito_, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Miguelito_

Miguelito_

Hello ....

I do not know how many folks live in North Carolina, but if you do, take note of this bill just filed in the House April 11th ... Its HB-723 and is labeled "Gun Safety Act" ... that sounds harmless doesn't it? Read it: http://ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2017&BillID=H723

It is NOT harmless. Here is how it is described in the Bill Header:

AN ACT TO REPEAL THE "STAND YOUR GROUND LAWS" AND CODIFY THE COMMON LAW REGARDING THE USE OF FORCE AGAINST AN INTRUDER; TO AMEND THE LAW ALLOWING RECIPROCITY FOR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS; TO STRENGTHEN THE LAW REGARDING SAFE STORAGE OF FIREARMS; TO REQUIRE THE REPORTING OF LOST AND STOLEN GUNS; TO REQUIRE THE SHERIFF, UPON DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR REFUSAL TO RENEW A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT OR PISTOL PERMIT TO TRANSMIT THE PROHIBITION RECORD TO THE NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM; TO REQUIRE ANY PERSON WHO OWNS A FIREARM TO CARRY FIREARM LIABILITY INSURANCE; TO LIMIT THE SIZE OF AMMUNITION MAGAZINES; TO DIRECT THE STATE TREASURER TO DIVEST THE PENSION FUND OF GUN STOCKS; TO REQUIRE EACH STATE AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY TO ADOPT A WRITTEN POLICY REGARDING THE INVESTIGATION OF OFFICER‑INVOLVED DEATHS; AND TO AUTHORIZE THE COURTS TO ISSUE A GUN VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER AND ESTABLISH A PROCEDURE FOR THE ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF THE RESTRAINING ORDER.​

It will negatively impact, virtually the majority of the progress made in recent years - including the requirement that your weapons be surrendered to the authorities for a period of 12 months if a "Gun Violence Restraining Order" is granted to someone else in your family against you. It imposes magazine caps at 15 rounds, adds more requirements/policy development in Law Enforcement related shooting deaths, changes significantly the process and reporting requirements for selling a firearm, as well mandates insurance be purchased in order to buy, sell or own one, as well as curtails the CC Reciprocity permits and weakens the stand your ground rules. In short its a disaster that is likely more for show than any real expectation of progressing ... but you never know.

So ... do something about it ... write your local Representative and tell them to vote against HB-723.

Hopefully it will not gain traction .... as we currently have a Republican majority in both the House and the Senate ... but our Republican Governor was defeated in this past election and now we have a Democrat in his place. Don't assume something like this can't be pushed given the liberal media "common sense" gun control agenda that is being shoved down our throats every day.

janice6 likes this.
  2. Elkhound56

Elkhound56

Crap! This bill sounds like something they would enact in Colorado or California. This is a misguided and disingenuous bill. I will be making my opposition to this bill know to my representatives.

Al Czervik, pgg00, dukeblue91 and 2 others like this.

3. Rebel Knight

Rebel Knight

I'm a NC native I just emailed all
    my state reps and urged them to not support this ham stringing bill. I will make calls in the am.thanks for the heads up

pgg00, Miguelito_ and janice6 like this.
  4. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

Word is this bill lacks support to even move from the floor. Repubs oppose it.

Al Czervik and janice6 like this.
  5. Miguelito_

Miguelito_

That is what I am hearing as well ... lets hope it is accurate.

6. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Thanks for the heads-up, Miguelito. Emails will be going out to my representatives.

7. Miguelito_

Miguelito_

That's great ... never hurts to remind our representatives their constituents are paying attention. Thanks for making the effort.

8. sgtbones

sgtbones

Is this NEW YORK ?

nursetim likes this.
  9. Miguelito_

Miguelito_

No kidding .. it sounds like New York, Illinois or California ... its ridiculous.

10. billlyb22

billlyb22

hillery s last wishes revealed !!!!!!!!!!

janice6 likes this.
  11. ugazag

ugazag

TO DIRECT THE STATE TREASURER TO DIVEST THE PENSION FUND OF GUN STOCKS;

That clause in the bill's header tells you that the bill is simply anti-gun and not about "common sense gun safety". Seriously, what does the price of Ruger's or Olin's stock have to do with "common sense gun safety"? So why include it? Easy - it lets your base ( deep pocket donors) know that you won't stop with just this legislation, and more is coming. This is done while telling an uninformed public that these are minor tweaks in making people safe, and they won't go any further.

janice6 likes this.
  12. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

If you're a democrat coming from a heavily liberal area, you've got to do this to keep your base behind you. If not, some other whipper snapper will come up and up-liberal them and grab their seat. It's like the crap that comes out of Austin. Everyone knows it won't go anywhere, just posturing for the child voters...