close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

North Carolina going Braindead?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 20South, Feb 3, 2010.

1. 20South

20South

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584758,00.html

I am speechless. Completely Speechless.

He may be the president who governed during the Civil War, freeing the slaves, but under a new curriculum proposal for North Carolina high schools, U.S. history would begin years after President Lincoln, with the presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes in 1877.

State education leaders say this may help students learn about more recent history in greater depth.

"We are certainly not trying to go away from American history," Rebecca Garland, the chief academic officer for North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, told Fox News. "What we are trying to do is figure out a way to teach it where students are connected to it, where they see the big idea, where they are able to make connections and draw relationships between parts of our history and the present day."

As the North Carolina curriculum stands now, ninth-grade students take world history, 10th-graders study civics and economics and 11th-graders take U.S. history going back to the country's founding.

Under the proposed change, the ninth-graders would take a course called global studies, focusing in part on issues such as the environment. The 10th grade still would study civics and economics, but 11th-graders would take U.S. history only from 1877 onward.

Math, science and English classes are also getting an update.

Critics say the state's decade-old high school curriculum may need an update — but not like this.

"The answer isn't to throw out fundamental portions of U.S. history," said Mike Belter, a U.S. history teacher and social studies director. "This is not preparing our kids to have a deep historical perspective that can be used to analyze modern events for themselves."

Educational policy analyst Terry Stoops agrees.

"I'm all for a global outlook, but it should not be at the expense of American history and learning about American institutions and ideas," he told Fox News.

But those considering the proposal say kids will still learn the basics.

"The students are in school for 13 years," said Garland. "They certainly are taught U.S. and North Carolina history in middle school."

Garland says they're making this curriculum revision process very public to get as much feedback as possible.

2. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Maybe North Carolina doesn't want their children to know they lost to a bunch of damn Yankees. :supergrin:

3. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

Last time I checked, this should fall on the teachers. A good one (teacher) should be able to do this regardless of the material.

This.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. cmoore2980

cmoore2980

don't forget they're going to "up date" science and math too.

5. aspartz

aspartz

This is the state that tried to get "The Bible as an Historical Document" allowed as a class in public school. (Wake County, 1994)

ARS

6. 20South

20South

I grew up there and have fond memories of what I learned in those schools. This is just embarrassing.

7. BigFelipe

BigFelipe BeenQuietTilNow

those who forget history... (or in this case never learn about it)

sad... this is the direction our moron govenor is taking to better our state education system? good job Bev...

8. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

I would be willing to bet "State education leaders" means teachers union.

It's not surprising that union teachers would want to start American history after reconstruction, when we went from a group of independent states with a 10th Amendment, to a massive federal bureaucracy dictating every aspect of our lives, and redistributing wealth.

9. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

NC is very dumb on a lot of its education. I would know, I teach here.

In 2006, they changed the end of year state wide exams in Chemistry, to cover less material. This was for high school juniors.
    They dropped Stoichiometry (balancing chemical equations) because it was too hard, and students could just learn it in college. When I went through school, it was part of 8th grade science (to a lesser degree).
    Every year, the 'smart education leaders' make choices that are detrimental to our public education system.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. automatic slim

automatic slim Walmart Shopper

Hi, My name is Slim.

I am a graduate of the Wake County Skool sistem.

History class just sucks. Its soooo boring OMG! They should get rid of all the history class. Math sucks to. Way to hard. I like study hall. Teacher's haaawt!!! And she let's us do whatever we want.

11. srhoades

srhoades

I hated that when I took chemistry in high school.

12. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

11 years of school should be enough to cover 100 years or so of history? Right? :whistling:

13. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Well we can't have the young ones learning about how the country was formed. You don't want them to get any crazy ideas about rebellion or anything like that.

14. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

So what? There is as much proven fact in the Bible as there is in that Evolutionary THEORY that they teach as fact.

15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

This is why we homeschool.'08.

16. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

[disregard: Incorrect information]
    I feel it important to point out that there are ZERO teacher's unions in NC.
    [/disregard]

We do have our 'department of public instruction' which is over-educated liberal teachers and bureaucrats.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  17. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

History: the first US president was Barack Obama.

Geography: there are a few other countries outside US, such as Iraq (also called Iran), Africa (where African Americans come from) and Amsterdam (where you go for spring break to smoke weed).

Mathematics: 2+2 equals 4. 2x2 also equals 4. 4x4 equals sport utility vehicle. There are things called "percents", but you don't need those; your credit card company will calculate them for you every month.

English: words are spelled as you hear them, vowels can be omitted in txting.

Congratulations, you have just completed the condensed high school program for contemporary people on the go. Here is your diploma, it may come in handy if you forget to buy toilet paper.

18. chuckman

chuckman

This is one reason we homeschool.

19. vafish

vafish

What do you expect from a state who's state tree is a telephone pole with a Camaro wrapped around it.

20. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpy Gardener

:rofl: