Norinco SKS

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by RHVEtte, Nov 7, 2010.

1. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

At the pawn shop today, I saw a Norinco SKS. It was in okay condition, but it was missing the bayonet and the magazine looked too long (it looked like a 20 round mag.) The price was right, but something about it seemed a little off. I seem to recall there being a legal issue with removing the bayonet on a Yugo SKS. What does the brain trust think? Is $250 a good price for it?

2. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

there is no legal issues with the bayonet. If you purchase a yugo with a c&r license, then you are supposed to keep it in original configuration or to that effect. Norinco's are top knotch as far as they go. I think the are finished nicer and do have a chrome lined barrel.. I have owned several over the years and have two currently. I would take them over another flavor any day. Did the mag look like an original only bigger? if so it is probably a norinco 20rd mag. They are good, usually have a star stamped in the side. $250 is fair for one, see what accesories or ammo you can get or offer $225.

3. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Yeah, the mag looked sort of like a cross between a standard SKS mag and an AK mag. The sides and arm looked like the SKS mag, but it had an AK style floor plate.
    Okay, in that case, I'll probably try and pick it up tomorrow since the C&R thing wouldn't apply. Thanks!

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

There was a legal issue back in the early 90's with the bayonet on the Norinco SKS. It was supposed to be removed before sale to be legal. Mine had it attached and the shop made it a point to tell me on a later visit that I was supposed to remove it since they basically goofed. All the ones they had at that point had the bayonet removed, but still included with the rifle for sale. It had something to do with one of those BATF whims/rules at the time, and I don't think tat particular rule/whim is still in effect.

Also, some of the Norincos had 16" barrels and they couldn't use the bayonet since it wouldn't fit on the cut down barrel.

The bayonet locks the cleaning rod in place, so make sure the cleaning rod is still there. On the 16" guns, they had some type of clamp to hold the cleaning rod in it's groove.

5. mixflip

mixflip

I heard in California that the SKS with bayonet and grenade launcher muzzle was legal under curio & relic, but the instant you removed the bayo or grenade launcher muzzle...you just made it illegal? I dont know if this is 100% true though. All I know is that I bought one configured that way when I lived in Ca.

As for not having a bayonet? I personally dont like SKS's without them anyway. I think its bayonet is very iconic to the SKS and looks kinda funny without it.

6. AustinTx

AustinTx

That's pretty much right. I think the Chinese SKS wasn't allowed to have a bayonet, if they were imported after a certain date. It was around 1986-89, I'm just guessing. I think it was when Bush 1, was pres. and I think he issued an Executive Order or some such end run around Congress. If you have an SKS before the magical date, you were allowed to keep it on. I don't have any idea as to how anyone can prove when their SKS was imported. I see a lot of the Chinese SKS with the bayonet still on them and selling for around $300, currently, if they have screw-in barrels and milled parts.

There was some Norinco model that was made, to be able to use AK-47 mags. I think it was an SKS-D model.