nooooob needs help !

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by logikalxo, Mar 2, 2010.

1. logikalxo

logikalxo

i wanna start reloading,

but only 9mm and 30-06,

what do i need to get started, i know nothing at all about reloading

please help .

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Read the current thread about 'loading the 9mm'... if that doesn't change your mind about loading and make you want to learn how to knit read the stickies at the top of the forum then pickup a couple manuals on loading.

That little bit of research will give you enough knowledge to be able to ask specific questions about your individual needs... and help you make heads or tails about the answers.

Good luck and welcome to the madhouse... er, forum.

Jack

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

One read the stickies at the top of the forum.
    Two read the ABC's of reloading.
    Three evaluate your needs... calibers you want to reload, rounds per month you want to load, the types of loads you want to make (practice, precision, SD simulation rounds), budget to get started (not including component costs)
    Then if after doing the above should you have questions...come back with them.

Edit based on the fact you want to start with both a pistol and rifle caliber I would say go with this set-up:

$225 delivered for the LCT with 9mm dies from kempfs.
    $70 Cabelas tumbler and media kit
    $13 Dillon 9mm case gauge (you could use your gun barrel, but the case gauge is better IMO)
    $14 Harbor freight digital dial calipers
    $60 Dillon beam scale. (don't waste your money on anything else, this also IMO is the minimum scale you should invest in, as it will never need upgrade unless you go digital)
    Lyman 49th manual
    You'll need to add 30-06 dies, a spare turret wheel, case trimmer and case prep tools for the rifle.

The LCT can be used as a single stage and once you get rolling, has the ability to load up to 150 rounds of 9mm an hour in the progressive turret mode.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. sourdough44

sourdough44

I would start by getting a reloading manual or the ABCs of reloading. The next would be a good quality single stage press. You have the list of basic items needed & then a whole bunch of 'nice to have' stuff. You don't need everything just starting out. You break down the steps & get what you need.

5. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

There is alot to it and I'd buy a good manual and read it cover to cover first. I prefer the Lyman Manual but you can get started for not too much of an investment. PM me, theres way to much to put on here.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I bet C4W feels like he wasted his time with the excellent info he put in that thread, only to still see these posts... lol. I agree w/ everything everybody said above, and BoxerGlocker's equipment recommendations.

IGF

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Getting a Single Stage seems almost silly, given it isn't that much cheaper than a LCT. Now if you're loading precision, then yes. For every day plinkers, you can go nice and slow on the LCT, and as you get more comfortable w/ the process, you'll make 175-200rds per hour pretty easily.

IGF

8. chris in va

chris in va

Goodness. My entire reloading setup cost me $120 and works fine. No need to run out and buy the best stuff on the planet. If you can, try and find used equipment on Craigslist or Ebay as you can save some serious money.

For example, a new Redding beam scale runs well over $60 last time I checked. Fella on ebay had an OLD one from the 50's that cost me $25 and works perfectly.

I use the Lee Hand Press for my 9mm. Doesn't require a dedicated bench, and the kit runs about $35.

Digital calipers are (mostly) made in China regardless of brand. Again, Ebay...$12 delivered.

Dies were on sale at Midway.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Sure try loading 30-06 on a hand press... please :upeyes:
    At very minimum you need a single stage to load rifle and being as the OP wants to load 9mm too the LCT IMO is his best option as you can use in in two modes.