Noob Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by d0truji, Mar 30, 2007.

1. d0truji

d0truji

2. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

3. d0truji

d0truji

4. FN64

FN64 Guest

*I* personally wouldn't go with either.. My reason.. less that a full 5 watt output, menu vs keypad programmable, The ability to change antennas is a must & the VX-R has an SMA fitting which is fragile and you need an adapter to get to a standard BNC or PL-259 fitting.. & the list goes on.
    Other considerations are.. the activity in your area.. Is there anything happening on 440Mhz? Or is it all on 2 meters?
    What is the intended use.. occasional, daily, inclement weather??
    The reviews at eham.net are a great resource & also take a look at other outlets for price comparison HRO is one of my favorites.
    Another concept is a gift card towards whatever your dad might want to get.
    ..there's my .02..

happy hammin'

FN

5. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

When I've told people not to get an HT they don't listen. They might as well get one they like. At least they can't do much harm with a 5W HT and it's a good intro to things like squelch, mic gain, memory settings, scanning, etc.

6. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

7. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

My first (and only radio) so far is a hand held, but it's a bit more than you want to spend. I do agree with FN64's suggestion on a gift card. Give your dad the card and a catalog (or web site URL) and let him pick what he wants.

You say he's "into" ham. Is he one? If not, he can't legally transmit so all he can do it listen. If that's the case you're better off getting him a scanner. If he's not licensed but wants to be, the cheapie Alinco 2M would be find IF you have repeaters in your area. That gets him an inexpensive entry into the hobby and he can see whether or not he wants to progress from them and spend more money on more versatile equipment.

8. d0truji

d0truji

9. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

I'm sure he'll be happy with whatever you choose for him, but another thought for a good present would be for you to get your license and join him on the air.
    :thumbsup: