Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I am a total noob with guns and Glocks. I brought home my first gun today, a Glock 43. I’ve spent hours reading posts in this forum, FB groups, and watching YouTube videos to educate myself and try to do things right.

Apparently I still have lots to learn and I fear that I made a total rookie mistake. Feel free to face palm as you read this. I locked my gun with the cable lock, but looped it through the barrel. I quickly realized that it didn’t look right and removed it and YouTube’d the right way. Since then I also read the Glock manual thoroughly. I did some panic googling and found quite a few sites that actually show that you can lock it that way, or the other way. With picture instructions for both ways. But other sites warning that looping through the barrel can damage the barrel. So, now I’m super worried that I damaged my barrel off the rip. I inspected it as best as I could with a light and didn’t notice any marks or scratches that didn’t go with the rifling.

I guess I’m just hoping for some insight here. Has anyone else locked their gun this way? Or am I just a complete idiot? o_O

·
Native Mainiac
22,732 Posts
Hi everyone!

So I am a total noob with guns and Glocks. I brought home my first gun today, a Glock 43. I’ve spent hours reading posts in this forum, FB groups, and watching YouTube videos to educate myself and try to do things right.

Apparently I still have lots to learn and I fear that I made a total rookie mistake. Feel free to face palm as you read this. I locked my gun with the cable lock, but looped it through the barrel. I quickly realized that it didn’t look right and removed it and YouTube’d the right way. Since then I also read the Glock manual thoroughly. I did some panic googling and found quite a few sites that actually show that you can lock it that way, or the other way. With picture instructions for both ways. But other sites warning that looping through the barrel can damage the barrel. So, now I’m super worried that I damaged my barrel off the rip. I inspected it as best as I could with a light and didn’t notice any marks or scratches that didn’t go with the rifling.

I guess I’m just hoping for some insight here. Has anyone else locked their gun this way? Or am I just a complete idiot? o_O
Unless you spent the last week busily sawing away with the cable inside your barrel, you''ll be OK. It takes quite a bit to do any damage to the barrel. It's not like it's made from marshmallow.

Have fun with the new gun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I was hoping the barrel would be pretty sturdy. I just worry about the little metal piece at the end of the chain, I know it had to rub a little as I threaded it. I’m an idiot.

It took weeks to find this gun where I live, so I’m trying my best to do everything right to avoid wear and tear and make it last. Who knows what buying guns will be like in the near future.

·
MacGyver
7,404 Posts
The barrel steel has been treated (nitrided) which makes it's surface very hard. Your cable locks are all vinyl coated. Don't sweat it. Putting it through the barrel, slide locked back, is a great and simple way to lock it.

Why are you locking it? Do you live with others, and have kids in the house?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and to firearm ownership, and you made a good choice for an every day carry with the G43! I'll never go back to the monster pistols for carrying. They're still sweet to shoot at the range though.
PS: Yea, like others here said, I never use those 'gubment-mandated' bicycle locks. I keep mine boxed till on the line, or in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Unless you spent the last week busily sawing away with the cable inside your barrel, you''ll be OK. It takes quite a bit to do any damage to the barrel. It's not like it's made from marshmallow.

Have fun with the new gun!
I dunno.. You gotta stay away from some of these aftermarket barrels. I learned that the hard way with a "TruePrecision" SS barrel. $150 worth of marshmallow. I think they forgot to treat it, or something. But it's crown is dinged-up nasty.

·
NRA Life Member
65,570 Posts
Hi everyone!

You didn't damage the barrel. The barrel is designed to hold a metal bullet going through it at 1,000+ feet per second, propelled by an explosion. Your cable lock didn't hurt anything.

99% of internet gun advice comes from people with 2% more knowledge than you.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
99% of internet gun advice comes from people with 2% more knowledge than you.
Probably still better than 2% less knowledge than you. I don't think I have ever used the included cable to secure the gun. I do use the cable lock at protests and to secure my cycle helmet

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
65,570 Posts
Probably still better than 2% less knowledge than you. I don't think I have ever used the included cable to secure the gun. I do use the cable lock at protests and to secure my cycle helmet

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
They only time I have every used those cable locks was to attach some things to my motorcycle so people could walk off with them.

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
Your Glock is just fine if what you write is accurate. You don't even have to loop the cable lock through the grip; just loop it through the ejection port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The barrel steel has been treated (nitrided) which makes it's surface very hard. Your cable locks are all vinyl coated. Don't sweat it. Putting it through the barrel, slide locked back, is a great and simple way to lock it.

Why are you locking it? Do you live with others, and have kids in the house?
Honestly I was just messing around with it and checking out everything that came in the box with it. I have no reason to lock it at home, so I probably won’t ever mess with that thing again. I have family in my home, but they all also have guns and CC permits, etc. All trustworthy and no kiddos.

Thank you everyone so much for the responses and thanks for the welcome wishes! I appreciate you all!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you feel the need to lock it and don't want to invest in a large safe, get something like this.

Pretty neat safe
This is right. I don't use the cable locks. A small safe like this keeps your handgun ready and accessible without you fumbling for a key to unlock the cable lock. Additionally, I don't like keeping the RSA spring compressed all the time (action locked open) using a cable lock. Just seems to me there are better alternatives that can still keep your gun safe.

Even though your house is full of responsible adults, there will come a time when your pistol must be secured (visitors, repairmen, etc)....either locked or on your person. Just saying....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts