close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Noob has XP HE OEM License Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dyno, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Dyno

Dyno

Lets say you have a pc that is two years old and out of warranty
    and you want to update/repair and keep it going.

The oem XL HE software will install only on this pc. Lets say at some point I need to replace the mobo and the oem software cant tell it is the original pc and will not install my <pavilion> oem XP HE.

What can I do, I am a legal owner of this pc with a valid oem 25 num M$ key ?

Would M$ send me a standard copy of XP, after all I am still the legal original owner of the oem pc trying to use the software that I paid for ?

Remember this is still the original box ???

What would you do ?????????

Dyno

2. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

Good question...

The answer is MS would direct you to talk to the OEM distributer of the lic. So you would need to call the company that you bought the computer from. They would want to sell you a MB that would fit in your box. Other than that, you would need to buy an OEM lic that was generic. You can get on for about $145.

Try this place, they have pretty competitive prices. That or Ebay.

Sorry...link added. http://www.centralcomputer.com/products.asp?pline=SOPEM

3. Dyno

Dyno

There must be a work around for this.

If I can barrow a copy of M$ XP HE can I use the key I own and paid for to do a legal install ?

Dyno

4. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

There's a slim chance of that. Although, the way MS Licensing works is an OEM key should work with any OEM cd. The same goes for Corp and retail.

Since you have the license and it is presumable on the side of the computer you are probably ok.

The area that you are treading in might be a little grey.

Good luck. Honesty is the best policy with MS. They are pretty hardcore and if you are cought doing something bad it's a $10K fine per instance and then you get to buy it at full retail.

That's the best I can tell you.

5. Dyno

Dyno

>Good luck. Honesty is the best policy with MS.<

I hope I don't need luck.
    I am the original owner with all the paper work and the pc with original M$ seal on the side.
    All I want to do is figure out a way to use the key ( license) that I bought and paid for.

Dyno

6. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

You should be ok with another OEM disk, but I'd call the maufacturer to see what they can or will do for you.

Cheers

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hate to tell you this, but that OS (and the product key) is only legally (and functionally) usable with the OEM POS you bought it with.

If you are going to swap out the mobo or any other platform components besides the PSU, you will definitely want a more stable OS - so go buy the Upgrade version of XP Home for $75 or so.

This presumes you have access to a Win98/ME disk to verify the install...but your OEM keys will not work with Retail XP disks.

Seriously, though, the 'extras' that all OEM's install can make for all kinds of problems; you will be far better off either retiring it, or just selling the old PC and building a new one with the cash from its sale.

Lots of people who aren't hurting for cash will just buy the components for a new rig and, instead of selling the old Dell, set up a home network so the spouse/roomate/kid can get online simultaneously.

So, if you absolutely must fix THAT system up and continue to use it, you'll be better off just buying the Upgrade edition of XP Home outright; it can usually be had for less than $75 if purchased online in the same order with the MOBO or new HDD.

Good luck.

8. Dyno

Dyno

>You should be ok with another OEM disk, but I'd call the maufacturer to see what they can or will do for you.<

proguncali,
    I did call them and they sent me the factory reinstall software disc set the next day. Very good service but the same junk with all the extra bull**** they put on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    fastvfr,
    If I understand you correctly I will not be able to use my M$ key with a oem copy of XP HE.
    > you will definitely want a more stable OS <
    I did not know that there was a difference between the factory installed version of XP-HE as opposed to say a retail oem version of XP-HE purchased over the net as far as stability.

If I understand you correctly I should buy the retail upgrade version of XP-HE . < I do have retail 95&ME for proof >

Best,Dyno

9. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

You have home edition...? Sorry....I'm sick and not following along very well.

Ditch it and get Pro.