Nonresident carry in PA

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Maine1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Maine1

Maine1

As far as i can tell by the websites, an FLA. NON-resident permit IS valid in PA, am i correct?

The FLA website mentions a couple of caviats, but neither adress this issue:

Am I wrong? Am i right? Could you give me a source?

Also if legal, how is CC in PA? i know its pretty much the same all over (the act, that is) are there any specific laws i should be aware of so i do not get myself in trouble?

Considering a vacation there this summer, and doing a little legwork to se if i need to get a new permit..starting to collect a wallet full, and want to be as efficient as i can.

Thanks!

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

A FL carry permit is valid in PA and vice versa. Not trying to be smart, but if you do apply for one, it is referred to as a License to Carry Firearm around here. (LTCF) I only mention it in case you decide to do some research and wonder why there were not many hits for different terminology.

All in all, it is an outstanding state in my opinion for being able to take advantage of your 2A rights. You may also open carry without a permit if you so desire.

What part of PA are you considering a visit to?

3. kensteele

kensteele

Why not just mail-order a NR PA LTCF from Sheriff Denny while you still can? :)

4. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

FL will only accept a resident PA permit last time I checked.

5. Maine1

Maine1

But PA accepts a FLA non-resident CCW?

I could get a PA permit, but i already have the FLA non-resident permit, and do not feel the need to pay more money to do something that by rights should be free.

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

While I agree with you, the fact of the matter is that we need permits, and the PA permit is like $26 bucks. I've thought about it, even though I have a FL CWFL.

7. jack76590

jack76590

You might want to read this thread. It is all over the place. But basically saying Pa State Police may hassle you with FL permit if you are not FL resident. If you have a permit from your home state I would apply to Sheriff Denny in Centre County for a Pa permit. Police have to recognize a Pa permit and I think it only cost about $25 for 5 years.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/6320-bad-news-non-res-ccw-holders.html

8. Maine1

Maine1

Thanks Jack..that's what i needed to hear.

The SP is hostile to CC. or just the multiple state reciprocity thing?

9. jack76590

jack76590

Hard to separate rumor from actual events. There are pro gun and anti gun people in Pa State police I am sure.

I heard about Pa State police confiscating a persons gun because he did not have a receipt of purchase in his possession. Way I heard this was a friend from gun club over heard guy at gun shop relating incident, who wanted to get new receipt. Could be more to the story. But the Pa State Police maintain a registrary of sale on firearms sold within Pa - most gun people consider this illegal backdoor gun registration.

Now a person moving into Pa can legally bring his guns in with him and there is no official registration So these people guns would naturally not be in the sale registry. But I guess some State Police may believe if you are Pa resident and your gun is not in sales registry you are illegal.

I think part of problem with Fl is that Fl will issue a permit to someone who does not have a home state permit. Pa requires you have a home state permit to get a non resident Pa permit. So a Fl permit is considered a "loophole" for someone from NJ who rarely issues permits, allowing them to carry in Pa.

My bottom line advise. I have a non Pa friend who got a Pa non resident permit from Centre County. Turn around in under two weeks. Sheriff Denny is the other side of law enforcement - very pro second amendment. I don't mind giving his dept $25 or so. And again if you have a legal Pa permit I don't see how they can hassle you. They may be looking for a test case - don't be one.

This link should get you to Sheriff Denny. Good luck.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp

10. kensteele

kensteele

You said it much better than I can. :)

The part I want to add is I read in other thread, pretty soon, you may not be able to get your NR PA LTCF in the mail, you may need to appear in person.

11. KiloBravo

Sheriff Denny Nau is the man!!! He is my local Sheriff and his signature is the one at the bottom of my LTCF. He is VERY pro 2A and very supportive of good citizens being armed. I would recommend anybody obtaining the Centre county's permit just to send an extra $26 his department's way. They are also good for five years.

12. Maine1

Maine1

I'm going to get the PA NR permit, just to avaiod hassles.

even if a few in the SP/SO have an anti-CCW agenda- and there is always a few- i want to be as legal as possible. .

Pretty cheap too.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Just so you know, non residents will have to show up in person in the near future for PA permits.

'Drew

14. KiloBravo

Yeah...I had read that article before I saw it on here. I think the pretty much sucks. Sheriff Nau is still a great guy though. Very soft spoken to those who are not criminals too.

I appreciate the information though. :wavey:

15. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

A non-resident FL permit is good throughout PA. the state attorney general has already issued a letter to that effect.

i cannot find the link to the letter itself, but he also makes the statement on this web page:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

if any officer/trooper in PA still hassles you about it in light of that letter, you might have good grounds for a lawsuit.

if you want to get a PA NR permit anyway, i hope you do. the more that are issued, the better. and there is always a chance that you will run into an uninformed officer or trooper no matter what. but, legally, you gain nothing on the state level in PA by adding a PA NR permit to your FL NR permit.

you do, however, gain something federally. the GFSZA contains an exception to the 1,000 foot rule for people who hold a permit/license issued by the state in which the school is located, but, by the letter of the law at least, not for reciprocal permits. i highly doubt, though, that anyone ever has or ever will be prosecuted solely for carrying within 1,000 feet of a school with a valid out-of-state permit.

also, i the carry laws are uniform throughout PA given that you have a recognized permit (there are some differences in state law regarding philly and open carrying without a permit, but if you have a permit, those become irrelevant).

hope you enjoy your time in PA. (and i do hope you go through with getting a PA NR license.)

16. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

When is this supposed to change? I have the PA app all filled out as of yesterday. Looking to mail it tomorrow....

17. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

My app just went out last week.

18. Zatec

Zatec

Thanks for the application link.

Not to hi-jack but I am waiting on my Utah permit which also covers PA.
    With that said, for $26.00, a couple of photocopies, self addressed stamped envelop and no finger print fee's you can't go wrong with an additional permit.

19. RickD6023

RickD6023

I have a CA resident, UT non-resident and just completed the NR application for PA. To me, it's worth the $26. Thanks to the OP for starting this timely thread as I'm planning a trip to Pittsburgh to visit family.

20. PA Wizard

PA Wizard

Look up something called "The Mundy letter" . Use Google or one of the CCW sites. Carry a copy (.jpg format), and if it comes up you will have something that shows the "official" state stationery saying that the permit is valid. My last renewal took 14 weeks!!!! Phila said that their printer was broken!! WTF I now have both N.Hampshire AND FL as backups, just in case!! They also have staggered renewals to PA so I'm always covered. If I can find the link for the letter, I'll post it!

Here is a link to the PA web site referencing the letter and stating its contents. Still looking for my .jpg.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
    Wiz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010