Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the laws regarding transportation of a firearm in PA for non residents? I live quite close to the MD/PA border and have a number of friends who live in either York or Lancaster counties, would it be legal for me to bring my Glock into PA to shoot with them at a range there? What would I have to do to comply with PA law in this case (I assume at minimum transporting in a case, unloaded etc as I have to in MD anyway).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Transporting firearms is covered by Federal laws, which is applicable to all states, as long as the firearms are unloaded and ammo is separated from the gun (per federal laws).

If you have a carry permit that is honored by PA, it's even better. I suggest getting a UT non-resident permit since it is honored by PA, OH, and DE. Once you have the permit, state carry laws apply, including allowing for you to carry HANDGUNS loaded in the vehicle, on foot, etc. You CANNOT, however, have a loaded long gun in your vehicle at anytime with or without a valid permit.

Alternatively, PA is an open carry state. As long as you are not carrying a loaded gun in the car, you can carry your gun openly on foot WITHOUT a carry permit anywhere EXCEPT Philadelphia (you need a carry permit to carry openly in Philadelphia). The prudence (and head aches of dealing with law enforcement) of open carry is another matter.

Al

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. So let me get this straight, if you have a carry permit in PA you can't carry a loaded gun in your car?

What do you do? Take the gun off and unload it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. So let me get this straight, if you have a carry permit in PA you can't carry a loaded gun in your car?

What do you do? Take the gun off and unload it?
A little misreading there...Here is my exact statement from above:

"Once you have the permit, state carry laws apply, including allowing for you to carry HANDGUNS loaded in the vehicle, on foot, etc. You CANNOT, however, have a loaded long gun in your vehicle at anytime with or without a valid permit."

The only items I said you cannot carry loaded is long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc.) INSIDE A VEHICLE, even WITH a permit. With a permit, you CAN carry handguns (pistols, revolvers, etc.) in any manner, concealed or open, and anywhere (except locations prohibited by laws).

Al

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'm looking into getting a Non-Resident permit from UT but in the meantime it looks like I'll have no problems just transporting my gun to ranges in PA.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts