Non-Resident Permit Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by drunyon, Mar 11, 2007.

1. drunyon

drunyon

Hoping a Utah Glocker may be able to help me out.

I applied for a non-resident Utah CCW permit in early January. They received it on January 9th. The Utah BCI processed my credit card for the fee(s) on January 10th.
    The BCI website says applicants should get their permit within 60 days and not to call for a status check until the 60 days had passed. To date, I have not recieved my permit and it has been 60 days.

Before I call and potentially piss someone off and delay the process even more, I thought I'd check to see if the current processing time was a little longer than the quoted 60 days.

Thank in advance for any insight.

2. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

I read that BCI is getting over three hundred applications a day since the Trolley Square shootings. Your application was in well before that, of course. Still, I'd bet things are Charlie Foxtrot down there right now. I'd give them a little more time, less they decide to moe your applicatio to the bottom of the pile.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I'm going from memory so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is they are swamped. Not only with non-resident permits but residence ones as well. After the Trolley Square shootings there was quite a surge in resident permit applications.

Nonetheless since 60 days have passed I don't think it would hurt to give them a call. Everyone I've talked to there has always been helpful. They should be able to at least give you a time frame on your permit.

4. Sambolijah

Sambolijah .

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the application mentioning "if it's been more than 60 days, go ahead and call, but not before 60 days."
    Something like that.
    It wouldn't hurt to call them.

Apparently they will be receiving more funding soon, according to a bill that was passed during the most recent legislative session.

So with that additional funding, hopefully that will expedite the process.

5. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Yeah, cool your jets. Calling and hassling folks distracts them from issuing permits.

6. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Guest

I thought their internal goal was to get a persons paperwork process in 60 days.

State law says that they must approve or deny a person within 90 days. They give themselves a 30 day buffer.

You've got <30 more days to wait before making a call.

My permit took 87 days from paperwork submission to receiving the card in the mail. You want to really go nuts try apply for a NFA item and get attitude from an ATF phone operater when you ask them to do their job.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

That is correct.

8. drunyon

drunyon

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

I think I'll give it a little longer...especially given the surge of recent applications and their understaffing.

Thanks again.

9. wthomas

wthomas

I turned my application in before Christmas and it didn't get here until last week. I think it ended up being around 80 days.

10. sickboy013

sickboy013

I'm still waiting for mine too. I turned it in mid-january. They said it was a 10 week wait. Boooo. At least I got it in before the whole Trolley Square thing. :thumbsup:

11. Bigsteve

Bigsteve Guest

Sent my application in on Jan 3rd, They probably received on Jan 5th. I got the card on Wed March 21st. Exactly 11 weeks from the date I sent it or 75 days from when they probably received it. Hope that helps!

12. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto Guest

I have a question about a UT permit application. I've looked around everywhere I can think. What's the deadline after you take the class to send the application in? I mean some states if you wait 6 months or a year after the class, you have to start all over and take the class again. I'm wanting to get a UT NR permit.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

13. sickboy013

sickboy013

IIRC, it is 90 days from taking the class. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is.

14. g5reality

g5reality

I sent my paperwork out to Utah and it was signed for on January 3, 2007. It just came in the mail today. You should get yours in the next week. I called and they are overwhelmed with requests after the mall shooting. Mine took a total of 77 days.

G5

15. sickboy013

sickboy013

I hope mine will be here soon. I am currently at 65 days. Ten more days or so, I hope! Then I will be... :banana:

16. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto Guest

Well I just called Utah BCI, and was told the cutoff is 6 Months. Looks like I'll have to retake the class to get my nonresident permit.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

17. drunyon

drunyon

**Update**

I received my permit today (3/30). I mailed it 1/6.

I was a little surprised to read the letter that came with it. It sort of gave the indication they were issuing the permit without knowing the results of the FBI fingerprint check. Seemed kind of odd.

Thanks again for all the info.

18. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I think they send out one of those letters with every permit. I've gotten those letters when I first got my permit and when I renewed. I think it's kind of a CYA thing for them in case something is uncovered down the road that they missed.

19. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy

I am confused here. I am a US/Canadian citizen. Took class in November last year and got permit shortly thereafter (it had fallen thru the cracks and took a few calls). My friend (Canadian) applied at the same time and received back a few weeks ago a letter saying that the issue of granting permits to non residents was under review. Got back his application and all forms. And a check. Wondering if he should just reapply ensuring that all documents are present, to Utah BCI. Or if he should consider it a lost cause at this point? Suggestions?

I am thinking of suggesting to him that he look at Maine or NH first.

Thoughts?

20. bjnsunnyotsego

bjnsunnyotsego

***I called last Friday as I was wondering the same thing, I mailed mine in January 12th, and they didn't receive it in until the 27th of January...they are probably piled sky high...she said they were working on those 22,23,24 of January...they go in order as to when they arrive in the issuing office...I imagine they are going through all of the screening and then sent on to the issuing office...so mine was 3 days away yet, I expect mine probably this weekend or early next week.