close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Non-resident concealed carry (cross-country trip)

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by jthom137, Jun 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM.

1. jthom137

jthom137

Hello all,

I am currently an Ohio resident planning to move to Oregon in August of this year. Every state from Ohio to Oregon along my route, except for Illinois, recognizes my ccw permit. My question is: how do I transport my gun across the state of Illinois since Illinois does not recognize my permit?

2. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy

From my understanding, at least with me being in STL, I can have my pistol on me while driving in IL, but if I get out of vehicle I need to leave it secured in vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Gk to the Illinois state website and do a search there or contact the attorney general's office there.You'll get a more accurate answer there than you will asking here.Good luck and have a safe trip.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  4. 4Rules

4Rules

MAG40 Student likes this.
  5. rds95991

rds95991

Some federal thoughts on the subject:

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

orangejeep06 and PhotoFeller like this.