Glock Talk banner

Non-permissive Carry Environment

3470 Views 56 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  HonkeyFries
Does anyone work and regularly carry concealed in a non-permissive office environment or venue? I don't mean illegally, but in a legal CCW jurisdiction where an individual office, business, or venue frowns upon CCW and would likely toss you out (or attempt to do so) should your firearm be discovered...and no, I don't mean banks, schools, or government facilities. Just curious if folks do and what they carry. :eyelashes:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
2,385 Posts
Does anyone work and regularly carry concealed in a non-permissive office environment or venue? I don't mean illegally, but in a legal CCW jurisdiction where an individual office, business, or venue frowns upon CCW and would likely toss you out (or attempt to do so) should your firearm be discovered...and no, I don't mean banks, schools, or government facilities. Just curious if folks do and what they carry. :eyelashes:
Not anymore. I carried a RAMI in Scrubs for 3 years.

· Banned
2,385 Posts
This is just my opinion but I think it's pretty valid. If you are going to carry the non-permissive environment you have to practice absolute OPSEC.

Absolutely no one that you work with and no one that knows anyone you work with can know that you're carrying and you'd be better off if no one you work with even knew that carrying was something you would even consider.

When I was in that situation I didn't talk about guns at work I certainly didn't talk about concealed carry at work nobody even knew I had a permit and I never implied in any way that I even owned a gun

· Banned
2,385 Posts
Urban setting?
Sure, your points may be very valid.
Rural setting where you are one of only three CCW instructors in a 495 square mile county who advertises the course 3-4 times annually on local radio/newspaper and has had 500+ successful applicants since 2002?
In my situation (and likely many other folks who reside in rural locations), your "absolute" theory is anything but.....
Did you read the original post or did you just want to bloviate?

The OP specifically asked about people who regularly work in a non-permissive environment. If you make your living as a concealed carry instructor that WOULDN'T be you.

· Banned
2,385 Posts
So you’re saying you ask, at the interview, if they allow guns and then get up and leave when they say “no”? Oh ok.
This actually happened at a place I used to work at. Guy stand up in the middle of new hire orientation, announced that he had a concealed handgun permit and that he never went anywhere unarmed. He then asked if he'd be permited to do so at work. The facilitator looked at him like he'd lost his mind.

We worked in different departments so I never saw him again after orientation but I don't think he lasted long.

I don't ask questions like that of my employers. If a company policy manual doesn't explicitly state that I can't I presume that it's permitted and I keep my mouth shut.

If it IS stated in the policy manual then I have a decision to make.

· Banned
2,385 Posts
. I am of the belief that if the parking lot is USPS property that gun possession there is the same as inside the USPS building.
I'll see if I can find the supporting documentation but I THINK there was a guy in Colorado who was arrested for having a gun in his car in a post office parking lot.

I THINK he was found guilty and the case is going through the appeals process

· Banned
2,385 Posts
I don't have anything at my fingertip but I am quite sure somebody was in fact convicted for having a pistol in a USPS parking lot.
Quoting Frank Ettin THR mod and lawyer

Frank EttinModerator
It's really a matter of USPS regulations (which have the force of law). 39 CFR 232.1(l) provides:
(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
the Tenth Circuit affirmed the application of 39 CFR 232.1(l) prohibit even the otherwise lawful possession of a gun in a Post Office parking lot (Bonidy v. Unite States Postal Service(10th Circuit, Nos. 13-1374, 13-1391, 2015)).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.